Microbe Mission B/C

Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS »

The48thYoshi wrote: On a side note, I'm always looking for more tests :P
I relate to this on a spiritual level.

Skink if you have any tests that are not on the test exchange could you send them to me? Pleeeeease
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
maxxxxx
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by maxxxxx »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
The48thYoshi wrote: On a side note, I'm always looking for more tests :P
I relate to this on a spiritual level.

Skink if you have any tests that are not on the test exchange could you send them to me? Pleeeeease
Skink, can you upload all of your tests to the test exchange please :D
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
_deltaV
Division: C
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by _deltaV »

I thoroughly regained my respect for this event as a result of nationals. I've taken or looked through dozens of tests and the main recurring thing that really disappointed me was the same microscope and mitochondria/chloroplast diagram that we had to label, the same Gram stain questions we've all seen a million times. It got repetitive and I agree the quality of this event wasn't great with the exception of maybe MIT and Golden Gate. The Nationals test really turned things around. I love the symptom presentation questions where you have to identify the diseases, and the antibiotic inhibition diagram was something unique that wasn't on any other test i've seen. The bacterial growth questions with the chart, and the math questions were quality as well. I'm going to try writing the microbe test for the Cornell invitational next year so hopefully a better test gets out there
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

_deltaV wrote:I thoroughly regained my respect for this event as a result of nationals. I've taken or looked through dozens of tests and the main recurring thing that really disappointed me was the same microscope and mitochondria/chloroplast diagram that we had to label, the same Gram stain questions we've all seen a million times. It got repetitive and I agree the quality of this event wasn't great with the exception of maybe MIT and Golden Gate. The Nationals test really turned things around. I love the symptom presentation questions where you have to identify the diseases, and the antibiotic inhibition diagram was something unique that wasn't on any other test i've seen. The bacterial growth questions with the chart, and the math questions were quality as well. I'm going to try writing the microbe test for the Cornell invitational next year so hopefully a better test gets out there
Well, in my opinion the Ivy Invitational tests were at least somewhat quality (MIT, Princeton, UPenn). The only one I've taken that I was thoroughly disappointed by was the Yale test, which was so unbelievably straightforward (they treated it as a station event).

For some reason, I could never get most invitationals math, but I understood Nat math just fine. Split between celebrating this fact and whining for better problems.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:
_deltaV wrote:I thoroughly regained my respect for this event as a result of nationals. I've taken or looked through dozens of tests and the main recurring thing that really disappointed me was the same microscope and mitochondria/chloroplast diagram that we had to label, the same Gram stain questions we've all seen a million times. It got repetitive and I agree the quality of this event wasn't great with the exception of maybe MIT and Golden Gate. The Nationals test really turned things around. I love the symptom presentation questions where you have to identify the diseases, and the antibiotic inhibition diagram was something unique that wasn't on any other test i've seen. The bacterial growth questions with the chart, and the math questions were quality as well. I'm going to try writing the microbe test for the Cornell invitational next year so hopefully a better test gets out there
Well, in my opinion the Ivy Invitational tests were at least somewhat quality (MIT, Princeton, UPenn). The only one I've taken that I was thoroughly disappointed by was the Yale test, which was so unbelievably straightforward (they treated it as a station event).

For some reason, I could never get most invitationals math, but I understood Nat math just fine. Split between celebrating this fact and whining for better problems.
Ha yeah, the Yale test was a joke. I did it as practice and finished solo in 20 minutes (only scored equivalent to like 6th or something though :( ).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

Unome wrote:
whythelongface wrote:

Ha yeah, the Yale test was a joke. I did it as practice and finished solo in 20 minutes (only scored equivalent to like 6th or something though :( ).
That's the issue with these lower-quality tests, everyone scores really high and whoever doesn't make some small mistake takes the cake.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
sciolyFTW_aku
Division: C
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

@above EXACTLY THANK YOU
B-)

Return to “2017 Study Events”