State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by NeilMehta »

BenchNine or Arial Narrow?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Uber
Division: C
State: TX

Post by Uber »

NeilMehta wrote:BenchNine or Arial Narrow?
Arial Narrow 100%
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

Times new roman size 8! The best :D
NT '19
Harvard '23
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Uber wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:BenchNine or Arial Narrow?
Arial Narrow 100%
Same here, always size 6 or 5

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Out of the 29 bacterial phyla, which ones are generally tested on?

Ashernoel
Division: Grad

Post by Ashernoel »

NeilMehta wrote:Out of the 29 bacterial phyla, which ones are generally tested on?
whats a phyla
NT '19
Harvard '23
Uber
State: TX

Post by Uber »

NeilMehta wrote:Out of the 29 bacterial phyla, which ones are generally tested on?
None so far. xD
I'm going to use Woese's classifications because they're easier for this purpose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial ... b-division
- All proteobacteria divisions
- Gram positive first 2 divisions
- Cyanobacteria
- Spirochete proper
- Bacteroides proper
- Chlamydia
- Micrococcus thermophile
- Chloroflexus
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Re: cheat sheets, mine has size three font :?: . That's largely disease notes, though, as most of the rest is very carefully engineered diagrams, micrographs, and things. I've seen teams with cheat sheets that have 5-6 font and nearly no diagrams on both sides. Honestly, I'm not sure what most of that is or in what way it's intended to be helpful :?

Re: bacterial groups, what you should really be asking is what unique characteristics are out there in important genera (as phyla are pretty broad, still). And, it's less knowing them by name (though the best teams can recognize key ones if prompted) and more knowing that they're out there and what their unique characteristics are, especially against the other major microbial groups. There's a chapter on diversity in the microbio books (and it's pain if you're not prepared for it), but the reference I like for this are review tables; there's a great one in one of the review books I have. Actually, let me check what the column headings are for that: phylum, class, important genera, and significant features. This makes diversity tangible, I think, and protects you from getting stung by the weirdos. Example: "Mycoplasma species are neither Gram-positive nor Gram-negative. Explain.". A good (yet wrong) guess would be that they were acid-fast. But, that would be confusing them with the genus Mycobacterium...anyway, the best teams know that mycoplasmas lack cell walls, making the question easy to answer. If teams didn't know the mycoplasmas, specifically, but knew that bacteria existed that didn't have cell walls, it'd be doable. Stuff like that...
fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

Div C should use more taxonomy than B right?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Everybody repeat after me: this is not a taxonomy event exclamation point!

I can't predict what you'll see anywhere (as my B team has seen some bizarre, wildly unfair stuff at invitationals), but the point here is not to get questions that expect you to produce names like Bdellovibrio. The point of studying diversity is so you have a grasp of what features different bacteria/archaea/eukaryotes can have, as that, then, allows you to answer questions both general and more specific. Know what things have cell walls (and their compositions). Know what things photosynthesize. Know what things have special ecological roles. Know what things tolerate what extreme environments and where. Know what things ferment what to what. Have a basic handle on unusual life cycles. And, so on...

A point I wanted to edit into my last post (but the edit button disappeared): remember that all disease questions are restricted to the list.

Return to “2017 Study Events”