Microbe Mission B/C

allopathie
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by allopathie »

Skink wrote:You can be given prepared slides or micrographs of anything, so, in that sense, it's wide open. Actual tasks are limited due to the live specimen list noted above, time constraints, and virtually no chemicals.
I believe SOUP had you prepare your own slide of yeast cells with crystal violet, and draw it under 40x (all in 10 minutes).
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
howlishot
Division: C
State: TX

Post by howlishot »

does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?
William P. Clements High School, 2018
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?
NT '19
Harvard '23
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

howlishot wrote:does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?
In my notes I have that Borellia is 20 microns long and treponema is 12 microns long, but that doesn't help you if they only give you a picture of one without a scale.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
howlishot
State: TX

Post by howlishot »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
howlishot wrote:does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?
In my notes I have that Borellia is 20 microns long and treponema is 12 microns long, but that doesn't help you if they only give you a picture of one without a scale.
alright. also does anyone happen to know how to differentiate streptococcus pyogenes/mutans? another no-go?
William P. Clements High School, 2018
allopathie

Post by allopathie »

Also, between Viridans Strep. (usually alpha or gamma hemolytic) and Group A Strep. (beta hemolytic), I assume they will give you an image of blood agar and ask you to determine what type of hemolysis is depicted.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
allopathie

Post by allopathie »

Ashernoel wrote:Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?
Are you referring to the national tests from 2011/2012? I have the one from 2011, and it seems to cover quite a broader range of topics (including antibiotic resistance) than most tests, although not particularly in depth. I think the MIT test was a pretty accurate representation of what this year's nationals test might look like. The nats supervisor in 2011/2012 was Karen Lancour, so I assume she will be writing the test again this year.
I also took the Wright State invitational microbes test, and it was well-written, but I'm not certain who wrote the test.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

allopathie wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?
Are you referring to the national tests from 2011/2012? I have the one from 2011, and it seems to cover quite a broader range of topics (including antibiotic resistance) than most tests, although not particularly in depth. I think the MIT test was a pretty accurate representation of what this year's nationals test might look like. The nats supervisor in 2011/2012 was Karen Lancour, so I assume she will be writing the test again this year.
I also took the Wright State invitational microbes test, and it was well-written, but I'm not certain who wrote the test.
lol yea i found some of the ""stations"" from the wright state test as "practice quizzes" for weird websites trying to teach supplemental microbiology. The MIT one almost seems like a copy paste + or - a few things of the national tests. Similar sections, same graphs, ...... but I agree its good prep :)
NT '19
Harvard '23
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

Ashernoel wrote:
allopathie wrote:
lol yea i found some of the ""stations"" from the wright state test as "practice quizzes" for weird websites trying to teach supplemental microbiology. The MIT one almost seems like a copy paste + or - a few things of the national tests. Similar sections, same graphs, ...... but I agree its good prep :)
C division I'm guessing?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

@neilmehta yup probably the minority of the questions were original...
NT '19
Harvard '23

Return to “2017 Study Events”