Microbe Mission B/C

RJohnson
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by RJohnson »

freed2003 wrote:How can I study to recognize microscopes when given the image the miroscope makes?
Different microscopes produce different images and they're fairly easy to distinguish once you know what you're looking for. For SEM, you are looking for highly detailed surface images. You see nothing beyond the top layer. For TEM, the image is completely flat. There is a set depth of view, and it takes the image in that plane. In a light microscope, you'll see what you're used to seeing under a microscope. You'll see cells and their features, but not terribly up close. You also can see color sometimes, which wouldn't be found on a electron microscope image unless added after it was taken. These three are usually easy enough to identify, so I get them first and then use process of elimination if possible. Another type is stereoscope, or a dissecting scope. See if you can take a look through one at school to get an idea of what it looks like.

SEM
TEM
Light Microscope
octarainbow

Post by octarainbow »

How are people preparing for this event? I'm fine with studying off the list of organisms, and the microscope stuff seems straight forward, but the event description also says we need to know the differences between archaea, fungi, algae, bacteria, etc. and I'm at a loss as to where I'll find the info.

From my experience, the most effective studying takes place using textbooks (like how cell bio for the past two years was entirely encompassed by Campbell and a little of Alberts). Is there a similar resource for microbe mission?
Private Wang Fire
Division: Grad

Post by Private Wang Fire »

octarainbow wrote:How are people preparing for this event? I'm fine with studying off the list of organisms, and the microscope stuff seems straight forward, but the event description also says we need to know the differences between archaea, fungi, algae, bacteria, etc. and I'm at a loss as to where I'll find the info.

From my experience, the most effective studying takes place using textbooks (like how cell bio for the past two years was entirely encompassed by Campbell and a little of Alberts). Is there a similar resource for microbe mission?
There's a few chapters in Campbell's covering the various microbe types, which you could probably supplement with a microbio textbook or just wikipedia, but in general I think the event has a slight bit more of lab skill-type things than Cell Bio, as well as more in-depth info about the disease pathology, so sticking to the classic bio olympiad textbooks might not be the best idea lol.
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

Without microbes, which of the following foods can still exist?
Cheese
Dry sausages
Olives
Cabbage
Bread

Is it dry sausages?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Hello,

So, for state/nationals, will the tests most likely be from the material in Campbell's?

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)
Private Wang Fire

Post by Private Wang Fire »

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Hello,

So, for state/nationals, will the tests most likely be from the material in Campbell's?

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
I don't think Campbell's has nearly enough info about microbio...

It only covers the basic information about each microbe type, and even if that was enough there's still lab techniques, uses for microbes, as well as specific information about each disease on the list.

It's definitely a good place to start though.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Private Wang Fire wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Hello,

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
I don't think Campbell's has nearly enough info about microbio...

It only covers the basic information about each microbe type, and even if that was enough there's still lab techniques, uses for microbes, as well as specific information about each disease on the list.

It's definitely a good place to start though.
Thanks.
B-)
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

For the microscope part, how much about microscopy will we need to know? Will we need to know about types of aberration and what causes them?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
hamingil

Post by hamingil »

Would studying the several handouts posted on the Microbe Mission webpage of the Science Olympiad website be enough to prepare for the competition? Are there any other topics that are not in those handouts but are going to be on the test?
Sasstiel
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Sasstiel »

freed2003 wrote:Without microbes, which of the following foods can still exist?
Cheese
Dry sausages
Olives
Cabbage
Bread

Is it dry sausages?
I would think so.
DFTBA!
Exp Des, Wind, Food, and Bottle

Return to “2017 Study Events”