Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by NeilMehta »

Ashernoel wrote:@neilmehta yup probably the minority of the questions were original...
and to think of how many different topics Microbes encompasses that could be tested on...
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

NeilMehta wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:@neilmehta yup probably the minority of the questions were original...
and to think of how many different topics Microbes encompasses that could be tested on...
and the level of detail of those questions..
I think I saw somewhere that the peple recognize that we only have one cheat sheet and that's why the nats test was 'easier' in 2011 and 2012. .. hopefully its similar this year :D
NT '19
Harvard '23
EagleHillSO2017

Post by EagleHillSO2017 »

Does anyone know what we need to know about plant diseases for nationals? Do we have to know specific diseases (other than Dutch Elm Disease and Potato Blight) and if so, which ones? Or do we just need to know about how microbes causes diseases in general in plants?
The48thYoshi

Post by The48thYoshi »

Does anyone know what they mean by "Population Explosion"
aeshs ‘22
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

The thing to remember, folks, is that it's not as if they've dumped heavy or challenging topics on you for Nationals. Rather, they just chose a few and deferred them for the sake of having an RS-N topic split. :| So, don't think too hard about it! From the top:

3.m., stuff like Kirby–Bauer test / beta-lactamase / bacterial genetics thereof (though this last one is fair game at RS levels, in my opinion)
3.n., they can't ask any new diseases, so it's all generalities here. I quickly Googled "plant pathology pdf" and found some decent hits.
3.o., This one covers algal blooms and things.
3.p., self-explanatory
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

So I'm looking at tests and finding stuff on

"African sleeping sickness" caused by Trypanosoma brucei. Why is this on microbe tests? Was it a disease on the past??
NT '19
Harvard '23
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Yeah, the topic rotation for this event is some of the diseases on the list. You will not see it on the National test, but I'm confident that African sleeping sickness will be on the 2018 disease list. By the way, good luck.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Skink wrote:Yeah, the topic rotation for this event is some of the diseases on the list. You will not see it on the National test, but I'm confident that African sleeping sickness will be on the 2018 disease list. By the way, good luck.
By this do you mean that the only subject change for this event will be the disease list?

Also, do you expect the entire list to change, or just parts?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Skink wrote:Yeah, the topic rotation for this event is some of the diseases on the list. You will not see it on the National test, but I'm confident that African sleeping sickness will be on the 2018 disease list. By the way, good luck.
By this do you mean that the only subject change for this event will be the disease list?

Based on previous lists, it seems like around 5-10 diseases change each year, similar to what happens for ID lists between years (though strangely Invasives didn't change at all).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:

Based on previous lists, it seems like around 5-10 diseases change each year, similar to what happens for ID lists between years (though strangely Invasives didn't change at all).
Do the numbers of diseases change or do they stay at 50?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Return to “2017 Study Events”