Microbe Mission B/C

Raven
Division: C

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Raven » October 16th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Thank you all for answering my previous question, but I have yet another one :oops: . I am confused about field of view shrinkage at higher magnifications. A C division Science Olympian told me about this, and I can't seem to find anything pertaining to this topic. The C division student told me that in the tests "they frequently ask this kind of math", but I don't know what sort of math field of view shrinkage would require?
Birds, Fossils, DP, WQ, Proteins, Genes

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: Grad
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » October 16th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Thank you all for answering my previous question, but I have yet another one :oops: . I am confused about field of view shrinkage at higher magnifications. A C division Science Olympian told me about this, and I can't seem to find anything pertaining to this topic. The C division student told me that in the tests "they frequently ask this kind of math", but I don't know what sort of math field of view shrinkage would require?
See if this page answers your question: http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/botany_130 ... meter.html
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Uber
State: TX

Postby Uber » October 16th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Haven't bothered with the math all that much, but I think what they're talking about is:
Higher magnification = smaller distance represented in field of view = view shrinkage (reduced diameter of field of view)
DFOV1 x magnification1 = DFOV2 x magnification2

Edit: Beaten to the punch :(
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18

sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » October 22nd, 2016, 9:20 am

Hello,

In the '16-'17 Microbial Diseases List, they states that "Chlamydiasis" would be one of the bacterial diseases. But, I believe that they are referring to "Chlamydia". Did they misspell the disease name, or was "Chlamydiasis" the former spelling of this disease?

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)

bearasauras
State: CA

Postby bearasauras » November 14th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Thanks sciolyFTW_aku. The list has been updated: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _14_16.pdf

Science37
Division: B
State: VA

Postby Science37 » November 19th, 2016, 11:49 am

For the section where it says about "principles of microscopy", how in-depth are they talking about? I don't really understand how much we need to know about it or if there is any general information.

sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MN

Postby sciduck » November 19th, 2016, 1:48 pm

In the 2016 SoInc cell bio microscopy review, it says that TEM magnifies up to 100,000X while SEM magnifies up to 650,000X. I thought TEM had higher magnification?
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... REVIEW.pdf

dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Postby dcrxcode » November 19th, 2016, 9:58 pm

In the 2016 SoInc cell bio microscopy review, it says that TEM magnifies up to 100,000X while SEM magnifies up to 650,000X. I thought TEM had higher magnification?
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... REVIEW.pdf
You seem to be correct, but the numbers Karen Lancour and SOINC give are way off anyway (other websites give different max magnifications):

"In terms of magnification and resolution, TEM has an advantage compared to SEM. TEM has up to a 50 million magnification level while SEM only offers 2 million as a maximum level of magnification. The resolution of TEM is 0.5 angstroms while SEM has 0.4 nanometers. However, SEM images have a better depth of field compared to TEM produced images.
Another point of difference is the sample thickness, “staining,” and preparations. The sample in TEM is cut thinner in contrast to a SEM sample. In addition, an SEM sample is “stained” by an element that captures the scattered electrons."

http://www.differencebetween.net/scienc ... m-and-sem/ It's near the top.

smurphy00
State: OH

Postby smurphy00 » November 27th, 2016, 12:52 pm

For potato blight under fungal diseases, does this mean late potato blight or early potato blight? The former is more well-known while the latter is more commonly found in America.

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » November 27th, 2016, 12:54 pm

For potato blight under fungal diseases, does this mean late potato blight or early potato blight? The former is more well-known while the latter is more commonly found in America.
The list was updated a couple of weeks ago to address this: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _14_16.pdf

Return to “2017 Study Events”