Microbe Mission B/C

User avatar
allopathie
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 8:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Die Mitte der Welt
Contact:

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby allopathie » April 12th, 2017, 7:53 am

Skink wrote:You can be given prepared slides or micrographs of anything, so, in that sense, it's wide open. Actual tasks are limited due to the live specimen list noted above, time constraints, and virtually no chemicals.

I believe SOUP had you prepare your own slide of yeast cells with crystal violet, and draw it under 40x (all in 10 minutes).
PA Water Quality C Event Supervisor.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
Facebook

howlishot
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: June 11th, 2016, 2:51 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby howlishot » April 21st, 2017, 2:50 pm

does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?
William P. Clements High School, 2018

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 334
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Ashernoel » April 21st, 2017, 3:55 pm

Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?
NT '19
Harvard '23

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Alex-RCHS » April 21st, 2017, 4:52 pm

howlishot wrote:does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?

In my notes I have that Borellia is 20 microns long and treponema is 12 microns long, but that doesn't help you if they only give you a picture of one without a scale.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

howlishot
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: June 11th, 2016, 2:51 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby howlishot » April 21st, 2017, 4:53 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:
howlishot wrote:does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?

In my notes I have that Borellia is 20 microns long and treponema is 12 microns long, but that doesn't help you if they only give you a picture of one without a scale.


alright. also does anyone happen to know how to differentiate streptococcus pyogenes/mutans? another no-go?
William P. Clements High School, 2018

User avatar
allopathie
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 8:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Die Mitte der Welt
Contact:

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby allopathie » April 21st, 2017, 9:03 pm

howlishot wrote:does anyone know how to differentiate bw treponema and borrelia (syphilis and lyme) under the microscope? also are there any other microbes that look really similar?

Image

Also, between Viridans Strep. (usually alpha or gamma hemolytic) and Group A Strep. (beta hemolytic), I assume they will give you an image of blood agar and ask you to determine what type of hemolysis is depicted.
Image
PA Water Quality C Event Supervisor.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
Facebook

User avatar
allopathie
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 8:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Die Mitte der Welt
Contact:

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby allopathie » April 21st, 2017, 9:06 pm

Ashernoel wrote:Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?

Are you referring to the national tests from 2011/2012? I have the one from 2011, and it seems to cover quite a broader range of topics (including antibiotic resistance) than most tests, although not particularly in depth. I think the MIT test was a pretty accurate representation of what this year's nationals test might look like. The nats supervisor in 2011/2012 was Karen Lancour, so I assume she will be writing the test again this year.
I also took the Wright State invitational microbes test, and it was well-written, but I'm not certain who wrote the test.
PA Water Quality C Event Supervisor.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
Facebook

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 334
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Ashernoel » April 21st, 2017, 10:16 pm

allopathie wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?

Are you referring to the national tests from 2011/2012? I have the one from 2011, and it seems to cover quite a broader range of topics (including antibiotic resistance) than most tests, although not particularly in depth. I think the MIT test was a pretty accurate representation of what this year's nationals test might look like. The nats supervisor in 2011/2012 was Karen Lancour, so I assume she will be writing the test again this year.
I also took the Wright State invitational microbes test, and it was well-written, but I'm not certain who wrote the test.

lol yea i found some of the ""stations"" from the wright state test as "practice quizzes" for weird websites trying to teach supplemental microbiology. The MIT one almost seems like a copy paste + or - a few things of the national tests. Similar sections, same graphs, ...... but I agree its good prep :)
NT '19
Harvard '23

User avatar
NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby NeilMehta » April 23rd, 2017, 7:06 am

Ashernoel wrote:
allopathie wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:Why did most of the national topics in 2011 and 2012 not appear on the test? Other than the two additional species, and the competition graph, there wasn't much. Did the national supervisor every indicate why he chose to do this? Same coordinator this year?

Are you referring to the national tests from 2011/2012? I have the one from 2011, and it seems to cover quite a broader range of topics (including antibiotic resistance) than most tests, although not particularly in depth. I think the MIT test was a pretty accurate representation of what this year's nationals test might look like. The nats supervisor in 2011/2012 was Karen Lancour, so I assume she will be writing the test again this year.
I also took the Wright State invitational microbes test, and it was well-written, but I'm not certain who wrote the test.

lol yea i found some of the ""stations"" from the wright state test as "practice quizzes" for weird websites trying to teach supplemental microbiology. The MIT one almost seems like a copy paste + or - a few things of the national tests. Similar sections, same graphs, ...... but I agree its good prep :)

C division I'm guessing?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 334
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Ashernoel » April 23rd, 2017, 7:33 am

@neilmehta yup probably the minority of the questions were original...
NT '19
Harvard '23

User avatar
NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby NeilMehta » April 26th, 2017, 8:31 pm

Ashernoel wrote:@neilmehta yup probably the minority of the questions were original...

and to think of how many different topics Microbes encompasses that could be tested on...
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 334
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Ashernoel » April 26th, 2017, 8:52 pm

NeilMehta wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:@neilmehta yup probably the minority of the questions were original...

and to think of how many different topics Microbes encompasses that could be tested on...

and the level of detail of those questions..
I think I saw somewhere that the peple recognize that we only have one cheat sheet and that's why the nats test was 'easier' in 2011 and 2012. .. hopefully its similar this year :D
NT '19
Harvard '23

EagleHillSO2017
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:46 pm
State: -

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby EagleHillSO2017 » May 6th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Does anyone know what we need to know about plant diseases for nationals? Do we have to know specific diseases (other than Dutch Elm Disease and Potato Blight) and if so, which ones? Or do we just need to know about how microbes causes diseases in general in plants?

The48thYoshi
Member
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 3:11 pm
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby The48thYoshi » May 7th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Does anyone know what they mean by "Population Explosion"
aeshs ‘22

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Skink » May 7th, 2017, 4:28 pm

The thing to remember, folks, is that it's not as if they've dumped heavy or challenging topics on you for Nationals. Rather, they just chose a few and deferred them for the sake of having an RS-N topic split. :| So, don't think too hard about it! From the top:

3.m., stuff like Kirby–Bauer test / beta-lactamase / bacterial genetics thereof (though this last one is fair game at RS levels, in my opinion)
3.n., they can't ask any new diseases, so it's all generalities here. I quickly Googled "plant pathology pdf" and found some decent hits.
3.o., This one covers algal blooms and things.
3.p., self-explanatory


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests