Microbe Mission B/C

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 345
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Ashernoel » May 17th, 2017, 12:45 pm

NeilMehta wrote:
Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: By this do you mean that the only subject change for this event will be the disease list?

Also, do you expect the entire list to change, or just parts?
Based on previous lists, it seems like around 5-10 diseases change each year, similar to what happens for ID lists between years (though strangely Invasives didn't change at all).
Do the numbers of diseases change or do they stay at 50?
*thinking about room on the cheat sheeat* hmmm

but its fine i use times new roman so if i switch to arial narrow i have a lot more room
NT '19
Harvard '23

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS » May 21st, 2017, 12:33 pm

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if it is can someone describe the Div. C test? What topics did it emphasize? Was it stations or sit-down? Was there anything surprising? Any labs? How detailed were the disease or microscope questions?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

User avatar
allopathie
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 8:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Die Mitte der Welt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by allopathie » May 21st, 2017, 4:05 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if it is can someone describe the Div. C test? What topics did it emphasize? Was it stations or sit-down? Was there anything surprising? Any labs? How detailed were the disease or microscope questions?
Without a doubt one of the most difficult yet well-written tests I have taken. There were 120 questions non-station (very diverse, covering all of the topics) with gram staining fixed cells, but we were incredibly pressed for time; we managed to complete everything with 5 minutes to spare and got 3rd, probably with 1-2 questions seperating us from 1st. There were clinical vignettes (yay!) and images where you needed to identify both the microscope and the type of organism.
PA Water Quality C Event Supervisor.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
Facebook

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Unome » May 21st, 2017, 5:24 pm

allopathie wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if it is can someone describe the Div. C test? What topics did it emphasize? Was it stations or sit-down? Was there anything surprising? Any labs? How detailed were the disease or microscope questions?
Without a doubt one of the most difficult yet well-written tests I have taken. There were 120 questions non-station (very diverse, covering all of the topics) with gram staining fixed cells, but we were incredibly pressed for time; we managed to complete everything with 5 minutes to spare and got 3rd, probably with 1-2 questions seperating us from 1st. There were clinical vignettes (yay!) and images where you needed to identify both the microscope and the type of organism.
When you say "one of the most difficult", is that relative to other tests or in general? Personally I found the test to be pretty easy for the most part, but ended up 26th (probably because of the section on identifying the type of microscope & microbe - I thought I finished it, and only realized we hadn't with 1 minute left).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 345
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Ashernoel » May 21st, 2017, 5:28 pm

Yea we messed up IDing some pictures and general symptoms and he id section so we got 22 :(
NT '19
Harvard '23

User avatar
winchesetr
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: May 6th, 2014, 7:28 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by winchesetr » May 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am

Unome wrote:
allopathie wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if it is can someone describe the Div. C test? What topics did it emphasize? Was it stations or sit-down? Was there anything surprising? Any labs? How detailed were the disease or microscope questions?
Without a doubt one of the most difficult yet well-written tests I have taken. There were 120 questions non-station (very diverse, covering all of the topics) with gram staining fixed cells, but we were incredibly pressed for time; we managed to complete everything with 5 minutes to spare and got 3rd, probably with 1-2 questions seperating us from 1st. There were clinical vignettes (yay!) and images where you needed to identify both the microscope and the type of organism.
When you say "one of the most difficult", is that relative to other tests or in general? Personally I found the test to be pretty easy for the most part, but ended up 26th (probably because of the section on identifying the type of microscope & microbe - I thought I finished it, and only realized we hadn't with 1 minute left).
What I think allopathie means (seeing as we were partners and discussed this after the event) is that the length and breadth of the test were difficult (in a fun way)! There were almost no other practice tests that we took this year that could compare in terms of size for one. Although some of the general knowledge wasn't exactly difficult, there were definitely a few questions that required more critical thinking and certainly played a role in placings I would say. Sure, there were a few super challenging invites tests, but this test blew most of the tests we took away, and it was great - super fun and interesting. I also did the Gram Stain portion which was awesome because not many of our competitions actually had a lab portion! Also, to be fair, we weren't super pressed for time, we just double checked our work and were pretty happy with it at 5 mins. Personally, the "disease" portion of the test was my favorite. I would have liked a few more in-depth questions about specific microbes (more in-depth questions on algae, fungi, etc), but overall great test. To the original poster, if you want to check out the test and have the resources, I recommend ordering the nats tests from the Soinc store when they are available :D
I like soup.

Harriton High School Class of 2017


SOUP Disease Detectives 2018-Present
DUSO Disease Detectives 2019-Present

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Skink » May 22nd, 2017, 3:06 pm

Ashernoel wrote:Yea we messed up IDing some pictures and general symptoms and he id section so we got 22 :(
How'd it compare to State?

User avatar
Ashernoel
Member
Member
Posts: 345
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Ashernoel » May 22nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Skink wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:Yea we messed up IDing some pictures and general symptoms and he id section so we got 22 :(
How'd it compare to State?
Hmm state was very different, it was a lot more of the microbiology and stuff of things. We did really well on it, but it was also sognifantly harder. On the nats test, there were a lot of sections that were very clear and everyone possibly aced, and then there were sections where the directions were a little confusing and the questions difficult (a picture of jaundice and expectation of identifying which disease?? The iding microbes from the low result on images where you couldn't see what was going on (or we couldn't I guess)).

I'm pretty biased tho because we crushed the state test and then failed nats. I'm sure Stevensons opinion on it will be different because they did ok at state and crushed it at nats @elaine
NT '19
Harvard '23

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Skink » May 22nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

Thanks. Congrats to those who placed at Nationals!
Ashernoel wrote:I'm pretty biased tho because we crushed the state test
Btdubs- the high score was below 50% ;)
Last edited by Skink on May 22nd, 2017, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 758
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Tailsfan101 » May 22nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

Congrats to my team's high school team for finishing 17th and beating Ladue Horton Watkins, New Trier, William P. Clements, and Mira Loma!
2016-2020 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
2021 possible events: Sounds of Music, Gravity Vehicle, Ping Pong Parachute, Boomilever, Machines, Detector Building

Mini-Inv./Nebo/North JH
DD: 1/3/-
GLM: 1/1/-
DG: 1/1/-
PM: 1/2/1
WIDI: 2/-/-
Code: 2/-/-

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

Locked

Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest