Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Ashernoel »

Avogadro wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:
Avogadro wrote: These two things, to a ridiculous degree.

Like, really, after I'm done with the event this year I'm not going to want to look at another HR diagram for several months or I may rip my eyes out.
You don't like the smooth curves? It's quite a beautiful representation of stars...
I don't like answering repeated questions on what each of the axes is and where to find certain types of stars on the diagram, more accurately. Actual representations of things (i.e. HR for M15) isn't so bad.
Yea, the irregularities on NGC 1846's are pretty awesome.
NT '19
Harvard '23
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Perhaps you all don't like it, but someone has to make sure we don't have to tiebreak zeros...besides, basics are important!

...hope the studying is going well! :D
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

syo_astro wrote:Perhaps you all don't like it, but someone has to make sure we don't have to tiebreak zeros...besides, basics are important!

How would one tiebreak a zero?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

antoine_ego wrote:
syo_astro wrote:Perhaps you all don't like it, but someone has to make sure we don't have to tiebreak zeros...besides, basics are important!

I would guess the first thing to look at is the open ended/math questions and go one by one and see who was the closest, had the formulas but didn't use them correctly, had the better answer, despite it being incorrect, etc. If there aren't any open ended questions then I'm at a loss. But at that point it's very unlikely for someone to get 0 questions right if they're all multiple choice. In fact, if there are 20 multiple choice questions with 4 options to choose from, then the chance to get all of them wrong is .3% assuming that each one was guessed on randomly.

I hope none of you guys have to get to this point though :lol:
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

jonboyage wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

I would guess the first thing to look at is the open ended/math questions and go one by one and see who was the closest, had the formulas but didn't use them correctly, had the better answer, despite it being incorrect, etc. If there aren't any open ended questions then I'm at a loss. But at that point it's very unlikely for someone to get 0 questions right if they're all multiple choice. In fact, if there are 20 multiple choice questions with 4 options to choose from, then the chance to get all of them wrong is .3% assuming that each one was guessed on randomly.

I hope none of you guys have to get to this point though :lol:
After grading some tests earlier this year, I no longer question the ability of people to do really badly.

tbh if someone actually gets zero correct with no partial credit-type stuff to go by, I'd go by number of questions answered, etc. If that doesn't work they'll probably just get marked as P.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Avogadro
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Avogadro »

Honestly, if you get a zero it seems like you have bigger problems than tiebreakers :P
Lower Merion 2017
Subtitled: Revenge of the Non-Harriton

Placement Record:

Code: Islip | Conestoga | Tiger | Regionals | States
Out of: 61 | 42 | 36 | 37 | 36

Chemistry Lab: 9 | - | - | 4 | 4
Astronomy: 14 | - | 5 | 10 | 3
Material Science: 12 | 19 | 9 | 5 | 9
Optics: 14 | 7 | 3 | 4 | 2
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Yeah, usually it's been who answered more questions or using open-ended questions (I like using open-ended ones, others like who answered more, some prefer multiple choice...I dislike multiple guess). I haven't actually had to for any, but I've gotten close and tiebreaking has been a major pain sometimes. Some of the tryout tests I made have been so hard I often saw scores of only 1 or 2, and people often tied at a low raw score for the max. Of course, I thought it wasn't so bad...Hard tests are good, but balanced tests are better.

Point is that people may not get 0s, but you don't want the case where it gets really close to that/make a test so impossible it's discouraging and most do badly. Some people may like impossible, so this is why balance is important. As such, you get random easy HR diagram questions, and you will always get those. Alas, at least look forward to getting some points! I do know the complaint for harder questions, though, is normally because of random test writers at regionals copying qs, etc...but doesn't mean some easy standard qs are bad.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Anyone know where I can find some good radial velocity plot and transit light curve generators for binary systems? I had a good site for exoplanets last year, but it doesn't work as well for stars.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Anyone know where I can find some good radial velocity plot and transit light curve generators for binary systems? I had a good site for exoplanets last year, but it doesn't work as well for stars.
If you want perfectly circular orbits just graph sine waves with different amplitudes. If you want elliptical orbits, maybe you could just find real light curves of objects that have elliptical orbits
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

Adi1008 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Anyone know where I can find some good radial velocity plot and transit light curve generators for binary systems? I had a good site for exoplanets last year, but it doesn't work as well for stars.
If you want perfectly circular orbits just graph sine waves with different amplitudes. If you want elliptical orbits, maybe you could just find real light curves of objects that have elliptical orbits
I'm new to Astro this year, but I learned about those by using google and looking at national tests from the past. One of them has annotated solutions and it is really good, but I can not remember which. If I get to make an SSSSS test next year for Astronomy, I'll be sure to include those types of problems (probably, if the topic allows).
NT '19
Harvard '23

Return to “2017 Study Events”