bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Unome »

So what are people expecting from the new topic? I've personally just been looking at college courses and Wikipedia for info.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
texas
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by texas »

Unome wrote:So what are people expecting from the new topic? I've personally just been looking at college courses and Wikipedia for info.
Same, since we don't have the rule book yet, I look at wikipedia for my DP notes. Turns out it's not a bad source
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
Samda

Tectonics Test

Post by Samda »

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone would have some tectonics test that they'd like to share,

Sam
tyasasvi

Post by tyasasvi »

What should I focus on studying when I am studying this topic. There is so much information. Does any one have an idea of where I should start? Thx
Unome

Post by Unome »

tyasasvi wrote:What should I focus on studying when I am studying this topic. There is so much information. Does any one have an idea of where I should start? Thx
If you don't have much background knowledge, I would recommend starting with a website for an introductory-level college course on plate tectonics (or a textbook if you have one readily available), and then branch off from there based on what the rules detail.
Samda wrote:Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone would have some tectonics test that they'd like to share,

Sam
Tectonics is a brand-new topic, so there aren't yet much in the way of tests. The Earthquakes and Volcanoes tests from 2009 and 2010 may be of some limited use (see the Test Exchange), and if your team participated in Captains Tryouts, they should have access to the one Dynamic Planet test from there.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
amydata123
Division: B
State: FL

Post by amydata123 »

Besides Alfred Wegener, what scientists are you guys saying contributed?
DarkZephyr
Division: C
State: MN

Post by DarkZephyr »

Other scientists I was going to mention would be Harry Hess, Arthur Holmes, and others that helped legitimize Wegener's theories. Can someone explain to me the difference between rift basins and back-arc basins? Also, what do the rules mean by "nature of the sedimentary record"?
MaeleeB
Division: B
State: CA

Post by MaeleeB »

What are orogenic belts, or can you direct me to a good resource?
Unome

Post by Unome »

MaeleeB wrote:What are orogenic belts, or can you direct me to a good resource?
"Orogenic belt" is a fairly literal term; it's essentially a fancy way of saying "mountain range" (usually with the implication that the mountains in the belt all formed at around the same time from the same processes).

Return to “2017 Study Events”