Dynamic Planet B/C

freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by freed2003 »

what percentage of questions would I need to medal at a competitive place like socal? so far I'm averaging about 80%
also how do division c tests compare to division B? are they harder, easier, same?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

driedmango wrote:Does anyone from Ohio want to talk about that dynamic test? Holyyy crap
I'm not from Ohio, but I definitely want to talk about it :)

So how was it? (in comparison to, say, the Westlake test, since that's the hardest one I've taken so far)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Unome wrote:
driedmango wrote:Does anyone from Ohio want to talk about that dynamic test? Holyyy crap
I'm not from Ohio, but I definitely want to talk about it :)

So how was it? (in comparison to, say, the Westlake test, since that's the hardest one I've taken so far)
Wait, how did you get access to it? You didn't compete it it it seems from your signiture
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
driedmango
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by driedmango »

Unome wrote: I'm not from Ohio, but I definitely want to talk about it :)

Oh my gosh I thought it was insane. I don't think I've ever known so little on a dynamic test before. It was in stations, first of all, which I totally was not expecting, and we only had 4 minutes per station to answer like 10-ish short answer + extended response + multiple choice questions. Some stations had giant maps laid out with markers and we had to identify the volcanoes (or other geologic formations) and answer questions about them and there was a lot of gravity/magnetic anomaly math that I had no idea how to do. The test went deeper on anomalies than any test I've ever taken and was definitely harder than Westlake. I think if it wasn't for the time constraints with the station format, I could've done better though. My partner and I hardly used our cheatsheet because there was no time to look things up. I was not expecting to place at all walking out of that test (I felt so bad I almost started crying haha).
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
[i]Remote:[/i] - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
[i]Rocks:[/i] 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
[i]Thermo:[/i] 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
[i]Team:[/i] 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
appleshake123
State: PA

Post by appleshake123 »

driedmango wrote:

Oh my gosh I thought it was insane. I don't think I've ever known so little on a dynamic test before. It was in stations, first of all, which I totally was not expecting, and we only had 4 minutes per station to answer like 10-ish short answer + extended response + multiple choice questions. Some stations had giant maps laid out with markers and we had to identify the volcanoes (or other geologic formations) and answer questions about them and there was a lot of gravity/magnetic anomaly math that I had no idea how to do. The test went deeper on anomalies than any test I've ever taken and was definitely harder than Westlake. I think if it wasn't for the time constraints with the station format, I could've done better though. My partner and I hardly used our cheatsheet because there was no time to look things up. I was not expecting to place at all walking out of that test (I felt so bad I almost started crying haha).
I remember seeing a test where they had a picture of the volcano itself and you needed to identify it. But this was in a 2010 Earthquakes and volcanoes test.
What kind of math of anomalies was it?
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

driedmango wrote:

Sounds fun :) I haven't looked into anomalies much besides the basics of understanding how the different types work, I guess I should probably put some of the formulas on my notesheet.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
driedmango
State: OH

Post by driedmango »

appleshake123 wrote: I remember seeing a test where they had a picture of the volcano itself and you needed to identify it. But this was in a 2010 Earthquakes and volcanoes test.
What kind of math of anomalies was it?
Oh gosh, I'm not sure I remember entirely. There were some Bouguer anomaly calculations, and a couple related to magnetic field strength/location (??) I think. *sigh* I wish we could get our tests back
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
[i]Remote:[/i] - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
[i]Rocks:[/i] 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
[i]Thermo:[/i] 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
[i]Team:[/i] 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

For tests should I know about things like streams and deserts?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
appleshake123
State: PA

Post by appleshake123 »

freed2003 wrote:For tests should I know about things like streams and deserts?
I wouldn't focus on those categories. Focus more on geologic formations like mountains, trenches, volcanoes, and other formations related to plate boundary.
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Well, unfortunately I'm taking on this event with about a month to go before Nats, having not studied a single thing on it due to a teammate being unable to make it...
Anybody have any good advice?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2017 Study Events”