Dynamic Planet B/C

cookie75
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by cookie75 »

Dat_soccer_girl_16 wrote:What are hypsometric curves, or can someone lead me to a good source?
https://www.britannica.com/science/hypsometric-curve
BrS
Division: C

Post by BrS »

What are some suggestions or resources to look into for the mathematical portion of this event? I've been having a lot of trouble with identifying the most salient equations and consistently miss the most points in those sections.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

What is the subject for Dynamic Planet next year?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
CVMSAvalacheStudent

cookie75 wrote:
Dat_soccer_girl_16 wrote:What are hypsometric curves, or can someone lead me to a good source?
https://www.britannica.com/science/hypsometric-curve
Encyclopedia Britannica is kind of Wikipedia, though you cannot edit it. It is meant to be used for students and therefore it usually summarizes the topic for you. .edu sites are from Universities and are generally more reliable. I recommend http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/hy ... index.html.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
CVMSAvalacheStudent

BrS wrote:What are some suggestions or resources to look into for the mathematical portion of this event? I've been having a lot of trouble with identifying the most salient equations and consistently miss the most points in those sections.
I actually don't know any on the top of my head. Try going to Soinc?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

BrS wrote:What are some suggestions or resources to look into for the mathematical portion of this event? I've been having a lot of trouble with identifying the most salient equations and consistently miss the most points in those sections.
The consensus appears to be that such a resource (compiled, anyway) doesn't exist. My thought was there might be a lab manual used in undergraduate laboratories that contain these sorts of activities all together...appears not. The advice I was given was to look up different quantitative activities separately on the Internet. :|

A fair bit of the math is basic rate algebra. There are probably earthquake equations, I suppose.
TyRy04

Post by TyRy04 »

I am new to dynamic planet so I am wondering if you know good links and places to start.
appleshake123
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by appleshake123 »

Some math topics:
Isostatic Adjustment/equilibrium
Viscosity and velocity calculations
Movement rates of plates
Earthquake magnitudes and other things
Some more things for another day.
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
texas
State: TX

Post by texas »

appleshake123 wrote:
Some math topics:
Isostatic Adjustment/equilibrium
Viscosity and velocity calculations
Movement rates of plates
Earthquake magnitudes and other things
Some more things for another day.
I'm in division B, and movement rates of plates has popped up on every single test I've taken at a tournament this year (i think earthquake magnitudes came up once, but i'm not sure).
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Hey does anyone know if glaciers remove land or increase land mass? Because I thought they eroded the land but according to the test on the test exchange the leave behind more land.
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1

Return to “2017 Study Events”