Dynamic Planet B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Unome »

jakool6 wrote:Why are Dynamic tests so loooooooong?
Because you're in Ohio :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
driedmango
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by driedmango »

Ohio has good dynamic tests though!! At least, I like them :D. But I agree haha. Did you take the westlake test? That one was insanely long.
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
[i]Remote:[/i] - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
[i]Rocks:[/i] 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
[i]Thermo:[/i] 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
[i]Team:[/i] 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Sleepy wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Why does the brittle-ductile change occur? From a search it says because fractures become closed, what does this mean?
This is the website http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens1110/deform.htm
The brittle-ductile transition zone (its proper name) is characterized by a certain depth where the temperature is hot enough to change the rocks from a solid state to a more plastic and fluid state. Above the transition zone where the rocks are colder and more rigid, they break more easily when subjected to stress when compared to rocks below the transition zone where rocks are hotter and plastic enough to where the plastic can be bent/folded more easily.

I think it's saying fractures are closed below the transition zone because the rocks are more fluid and the rock is able to bend so that the fractures are closed within the rock, although I'm not 100% sure... that would be my guess.

EDIT: Sorry Unome, I was typing my answer as you submitted your's so I didn't see your answer, and I don't know how to delete my post. I guess there are 2 answers now!
To get your own post deleted, either message a moderator or report your own post, so that a moderator sees that it is to be deleted. Either method should work. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

How come at first the strength of rocks increases?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

driedmango wrote:
Ohio has good dynamic tests though!! At least, I like them :D. But I agree haha. Did you take the westlake test? That one was insanely long.
I took it just now; 137/240 (plus or minus 5 I'd say, depending on grading proclivities) in just under 70 minutes, but alone with no notesheets. Apparently good enough for second place (gg Mason's super-high score), though doubtless teams have improved since then. A very difficult test indeed (usually I can solo Dynamic tests in under 40 minutes, so this one was surprisingly long).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
driedmango

Post by driedmango »

Unome wrote:I took it just now; 137/240 (plus or minus 5 I'd say, depending on grading proclivities) in just under 70 minutes, but alone with no notesheets. Apparently good enough for second place (gg Mason's super-high score), though doubtless teams have improved since then. A very difficult test indeed (usually I can solo Dynamic tests in under 40 minutes, so this one was surprisingly long).
Oh wow, that score is amazing considering you soloed without notes. My partner and I only got 169.5 (I think?) and that was with cheatsheets and splitting the test. I don't think I could've done that well alone without resources :o
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
Abekitt
State: IL

Post by Abekitt »

Any chance anybody has some tests I could practice with? Ran out. Also in general I feel like my dynamic score is not up to par to what it should be and it is holding the team back. So I want to improve as much as possible for state. Any books you guys recommend to read, or any things to looks and such? I'll admit my knowledge of this stuff is at a basic level so I want to improve as much as possible.
Disease Detectives
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Game On
Hydrogeology
Robot Arm
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Since you're in Illinois, you probably don't need more than an introductory text and/or Wikipedia. The State ES is very clear (and this has been his mission for years) that he's more interested in application of skills to answer geological problems over recall of minutiae. As I expressed a page or two ago, I'm really fond of Plate Tectonics: Continental Drift and Mountain Building, overkill though it may be.
driedmango

Post by driedmango »

Abekitt wrote:Any chance anybody has some tests I could practice with? Ran out. Also in general I feel like my dynamic score is not up to par to what it should be and it is holding the team back. So I want to improve as much as possible for state. Any books you guys recommend to read, or any things to looks and such? I'll admit my knowledge of this stuff is at a basic level so I want to improve as much as possible.
This is one textbook that I really like (written by Fred Vine :o so cool! haha): Global Tectonics. This Cliffsnotes geology page is has more basic information, but it's really comprehensive (has stuff on mass wasting, earthquakes, volcanoes...) and helpful for reviewing. Also Tulane is awesome and put all of their physical geology lecture notes online (here!). Might be overkill but better safe than sorry right? ;)

Good luck at states! Illinois is gonna be competitive this year.
Last edited by EastStroudsburg13 on March 13th, 2017, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL to textbook removed due to possible violation of copyright
WE DID IT
Abekitt

Post by Abekitt »

Thanks guys! You guys are insane (in a good way) for being able to read those things. I hope to improve, geology isn't the peak of my interest as I love chemistry and math but people have taken Chem Lab already (although not that well) so I took over this and I hope to improve. Geology is hard and rather boring to me so it's going to be a grind. :)
Disease Detectives
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Game On
Hydrogeology
Robot Arm

Return to “2017 Study Events”