Dynamic Planet B/C

dhdarren
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by dhdarren »

Should the Uniformitarianism be attributed to James Hutton or Charles Lyell? On previous tests dynamic tests I had taken, and on several online resources attribute it to James Hutton as his main achievement. However, we are just starting our evolution unit for AP Bio, and my textbook mentions both scientists, and it attributes Hutton to "graudualism" and Lyell to "uniformitarianism." Upon looking at some online resources for Lyell, it attributes Uniformitarianism as his main achievement as well. Does anybody have an explanation to this? :o
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
driedmango

Post by driedmango »

dhdarren wrote:Should the Uniformitarianism be attributed to James Hutton or Charles Lyell? On previous tests dynamic tests I had taken, and on several online resources attribute it to James Hutton as his main achievement. However, we are just starting our evolution unit for AP Bio, and my textbook mentions both scientists, and it attributes Hutton to "graudualism" and Lyell to "uniformitarianism." Upon looking at some online resources for Lyell, it attributes Uniformitarianism as his main achievement as well. Does anybody have an explanation to this? :o
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading my AP Bio textbook too! (Is it the one by Campbell? :D). I would go with Hutton though because that's been the answer to that question on every DP test I've taken. They both definitely have a role in developing uniformitarianism, but I think the main difference in their contributions is that Hutton laid the conceptual foundation for it and Lyell built the structure of geology on that foundation.
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
[i]Remote:[/i] - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
[i]Rocks:[/i] 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
[i]Thermo:[/i] 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
[i]Team:[/i] 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
dhdarren

Post by dhdarren »

driedmango wrote:
dhdarren wrote:Should the Uniformitarianism be attributed to James Hutton or Charles Lyell? On previous tests dynamic tests I had taken, and on several online resources attribute it to James Hutton as his main achievement. However, we are just starting our evolution unit for AP Bio, and my textbook mentions both scientists, and it attributes Hutton to "graudualism" and Lyell to "uniformitarianism." Upon looking at some online resources for Lyell, it attributes Uniformitarianism as his main achievement as well. Does anybody have an explanation to this? :o
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading my AP Bio textbook too! (Is it the one by Campbell? :D). I would go with Hutton though because that's been the answer to that question on every DP test I've taken. They both definitely have a role in developing uniformitarianism, but I think the main difference in their contributions is that Hutton laid the conceptual foundation for it and Lyell built the structure of geology on that foundation.
Yes, Campbell Bio chapter 22.1! :D I was actually pleasantly surprised when this sort of SO information became directly relevant to school coursework haha... I was also thinking along the lines of what you said, since Hutton does seem to be mentioned on the tests, just wanted some confirmation for my content knowledge, thanks!
2015:
R | S

2016:

2017:
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
dhdarren

Post by dhdarren »

driedmango wrote:
Yes, Campbell Bio chapter 22.1! :D I was actually pleasantly surprised when this sort of SO information became directly relevant to school coursework haha... I was also thinking along the lines of what you said, since Hutton does seem to be mentioned on the DP tests and some resources, just wanted some confirmation for my content knowledge, thanks!
2015:
R | S

2016:

2017:
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

driedmango wrote: This is one textbook that I really like (written by Fred Vine :o so cool! haha): Global Tectonics. This Cliffsnotes geology page is has more basic information, but it's really comprehensive (has stuff on mass wasting, earthquakes, volcanoes...) and helpful for reviewing. Also Tulane is awesome and put all of their physical geology lecture notes online (here!). Might be overkill but better safe than sorry right? ;)

Good luck at states! Illinois is gonna be competitive this year.
What do you recommend for the holes that TUulane leaves out? Such as Aulacogens and hazard mitigation?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
driedmango

Post by driedmango »

freed2003 wrote: What do you recommend for the holes that Tulane leaves out? Such as Aulacogens and hazard mitigation?
Wikipedia's always a good place to start. This is a good starting place for earthquakes and volcanoes (I think it has some hazard mitigation stuff?). USGS also has a lot of good information about earthquakes and volcanoes and such. There isn't really one place that'll have all the information, you know? Just gotta search around. (Lol I realized this probably isn't super helpful sorry :lol:).
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Why do transform plates happen? Tulane says it's because the sea-floor is off set with the ridge but that doesn't make sense to me since it shows a diagram with offset ocean ridges.
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Has anyone here done Dynamic planet at socal? CAn you explain how the writer like to write the tests?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

driedmango wrote:
freed2003 wrote: Why does the left most strip have normal polarity?
Also how can you draw magnetic striiping>(use dark for normal polarity)
As new magma comes up at the mid-ocean ridge and cools, it records magnetic north, creating stripes of normal/reversed polarities that are mirror images on either side of the ridge. When you're talking about the left-most strip, I'm assuming you mean the stripe of light orange. So that strip would have a normal polarity because when that magma was cooling, earth's magnetic north was the same as it is currently (and it also matches the strip of normal polarity on the right side).

To draw the pattern of reversals, you might want to do something like this:
Can you explain how you know what to draw for the reversals?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
driedmango

Post by driedmango »

freed2003 wrote: Can you explain how you know what to draw for the reversals?
If the question doesn't specify what it wants, draw it like this: the two strips closest to either side of the mid-ocean ridge would be of normal polarity because that's what's being formed now, so it's our "normal". And then you just alternate reverse-normal-reverse-normal on both sides after that. But if the question has specifications, or if it wants what the spreading ridge would look like in a different geologic time period, then draw it according to the question's description, I guess.
WE DID IT

Return to “2017 Study Events”