Dynamic Planet B/C

Dat_soccer_girl_16
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Dat_soccer_girl_16 »

What are hypsometric curves, or can someone lead me to a good source?
rockster
Division: C
State: NY

Post by rockster »

Are there any websites that could help me view geophysical data and the best way to interpret them?
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Piggy wrote:I haven't used it much yet but I just got the Plate Tectonics: Continental Drift and Mountain Building textbook by Wolfgang Frisch, Martin Meschede, and Ronald C. Blakey.
I love this book. It's a step above anything Tarbuck and Lutgens (being upper division undergraduate or lower level graduate) but is, then, really dense. If you're aiming for competitive C division, sections of this are the best I've been able to find. After repeatedly renewing a library copy since October or November, I just ordered myself one. It came in the mail the other day and is nice and shiny. :D I did manage to scan the figures I wanted out of the library copy before sending it home so as to not damage the binding of mine, though...
rockster
State: NY

Post by rockster »

So I'm not completey sure as to what they mean by interpretation of geophysical data, do hey mean graphings or tables, I can not find anything really about this part on the internet and my library really doesn't have many books on geology, could someone please give me some pointers or direct me to a place where I could understand this task a little better?
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
Sleepy
State: PA

Post by Sleepy »

For section d (tectonic basins), would studying the 4 basins listed be feasible on an invitational level? Or would it be wise to look into more than the ones listed?
Stroudsburg HS '18
[size=80][u]MC Barons | Tiger | North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 2 | 14 | 2 | 2 | 9
Remote: 9 | 18 | 2 | 1 | 8
Hydro: 11 | 18 | 3 | 2 | 2
Game On: 3 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 21[/size]
[size=80][u]North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 1 | 2 | -
Remote: 2 | 1 | -
Game On: 3 | 4 | -[/size]
RiceGum
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by RiceGum »

Can anyone send me some info at [email protected]?
parvatipatel

Post by parvatipatel »

Do you guys know what to put for "Opening and Closing of Ocean Gateways and Land bridges (with impact on biota)"?

I am confused with the answer of this, along with what ocean gateways are.
Events: dynamic planet, anatomy and physiology, disease detectives, towers
driedmango
State: OH

Post by driedmango »

rockster wrote:So I'm not completey sure as to what they mean by interpretation of geophysical data, do hey mean graphings or tables, I can not find anything really about this part on the internet and my library really doesn't have many books on geology, could someone please give me some pointers or direct me to a place where I could understand this task a little better?
From what I've seen at invitationals, interpreting geophysical data basically means that you'll get a map of Hawaii or something, and you have to answer things like "What is the direction of plate movement?" Or they'll give you a diagram showing different strata in a cross-section of bedrock and you have to put them in geochronological order based on the laws of unconformities, disconformities, etc. (kind of like Fossils lol). There have also been situations where I've gotten maps of supercontinents or current continents/tectonic structures and asked questions about plate movement, tectonic setting, etc. My suggestion would just be to take practice tests; that really is the best way to gain experience with these types of questions.
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
[i]Remote:[/i] - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
[i]Rocks:[/i] 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
[i]Thermo:[/i] 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
[i]Team:[/i] 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
BrS

Post by BrS »

What are some suggestions or resources to look into for the mathematical portion of this event? I've been having a lot of trouble with identifying the most salient equations and consistently miss the most points in those sections.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

parvatipatel wrote:Do you guys know what to put for "Opening and Closing of Ocean Gateways and Land bridges (with impact on biota)"?

I am confused with the answer of this, along with what ocean gateways are.
It's asking about the land bridge that existed a long time ago between Africa and South America (you know, the one the animals all walked across).

Return to “2017 Study Events”