Remote Sensing C

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Remote Sensing C

Postby bernard » June 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

sciolyFTW_aku
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » September 9th, 2016, 6:54 pm

The name for this event is rather misleading; I didn't know it was closely related to Meteorology until I read the rules .-.
B-)

bhavjain
State: PA

Postby bhavjain » September 9th, 2016, 7:46 pm

sciolyFTW_aku Why do you believe the name is misleading?
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 9th, 2016, 7:47 pm

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:The name for this event is rather misleading; I didn't know it was closely related to Meteorology until I read the rules .-.

IMO it's not at all like Meteorology; looking at the test exchange, it's more akin to Astronomy, really (not the best comparison, but the only one I can think of, since the Road Scholar one isn't that good)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Postby dcrxcode » September 9th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:The name for this event is rather misleading; I didn't know it was closely related to Meteorology until I read the rules .-.

IMO it's not at all like Meteorology; looking at the test exchange, it's more akin to Astronomy, really (not the best comparison, but the only one I can think of, since the Road Scholar one isn't that good)

This might sound a little far-fetched, but I think the event has some similarities to ID events like Invasive/R&M, because many of the questions I've seen in past tests give you an image and ask you to interpret the content of the image. I definitely see the similarities to Astro, Unome - getting an image packet and having to tell how the image was taken is a key part of Astronomy as well as Remote Sensing.

sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » September 10th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Yes, the event involves interpreting the image presented to you. But, what is the information that has to be interpreted? If you look at the rules, you have to know about climatic processes and climate change, models of energy balance, different types of images of clouds, atmosphere, weather systems, etc. So, yes, it is sort of an ID event, but the knowledge required in order to ID the image has an origin that stems from Meteorology. :)
B-)

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » September 10th, 2016, 1:31 pm

dcrxcode wrote:
Unome wrote:

This might sound a little far-fetched, but I think the event has some similarities to ID events like Invasive/R&M, because many of the questions I've seen in past tests give you an image and ask you to interpret the content of the image. I definitely see the similarities to Astro, Unome - getting an image packet and having to tell how the image was taken is a key part of Astronomy as well as Remote Sensing.

Remote Sensing is not at all like an ID event. You're not expected to know right off the bat what specific feature you're looking at unless it's incredibly obvious. You won't be expected to look at an image and say, "Boom, that's the Three Gorges Dam, next question," although such questions may appear from time to time for famous or important areas.

You will, however, be expected to have the necessary geographic and environmental knowledge to interpret and explain the images. For example, one question you'll see an awful lot is: "This is the Aral Sea. Explain what's happening to it from image 1 to image 2." Or something along those lines.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: Wiki & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » September 11th, 2016, 11:02 am

It's not like very many B events, but I feel like it's somewhat of a cross between Road Scholar and Solar System, especially for image interpretation. There are elements of Meteorology as well. However, the bulk of the event is focused on satellites, hence the name "Remote Sensing". I really liked it when I competed; it's kind of a unique and interesting event to compete in.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

russianolive
State: -

Postby russianolive » October 27th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Hello all, I am quite new to this event. What kind of resources should I use (textbooks, etc) to prepare for this competition season? I know the test exchange is a good resource, but it is not of much help when I do not understand how to approach the majority of the questions. Thanks!

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » October 27th, 2016, 8:59 pm

russianolive wrote:Hello all, I am quite new to this event. What kind of resources should I use (textbooks, etc) to prepare for this competition season? I know the test exchange is a good resource, but it is not of much help when I do not understand how to approach the majority of the questions. Thanks!

You should absolutely start with the Remote Sensing Wiki. It has tons of valuable information on there and 90% of what you see on tests are covered in that page. From there, look at some practice tests, and Google what you can't find in the wiki. USGS also has some good resources.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: Wiki & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » November 5th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Can anyone suggest how to prepare for 3d "Using, applying and interpreting the output of small-scale models of planetary energy balance?

Unome

Postby Unome » November 6th, 2016, 4:41 am

windu34 wrote:Can anyone suggest how to prepare for 3d "Using, applying and interpreting the output of small-scale models of planetary energy balance?

This is a pretty good intro to what they're talking about.

Unome

Postby Unome » November 8th, 2016, 7:44 am

Question: Does Rayleigh scattering have anything to do with the atmosphere being opaque to X-rays & gamma rays? (or am I misunderstanding Rayleigh scattering?)

BrS
State: -

Postby BrS » November 12th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Is this even okay to compete alone in (in terms of length, difficulty, content, etc)?

Unome

Postby Unome » November 12th, 2016, 8:10 pm

BrS wrote:Is this even okay to compete alone in (in terms of length, difficulty, content, etc)?

I just did today, and won first. In comparison to, say, Astronomy, it's easier. In comparison to an ID event it's harder.

Return to “2017 Study Events”