Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Skink »

Thanks. I always get a little nervous that Web sites leave out this or that (not that textbooks don't--far from it--but they tend toward "completion" more than short academic Web pages do), but I can't argue with your results. I'll give it a try. I don't really have time to read another book now, anyway.
haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN
Been thanked: 0

Post by haverstall »

Unome wrote:
zyzzyva980 wrote:hyper-specific, esoteric details.
cough MIT cough (the satellite, exact altitude of the satellite, and swath width of ASTER?)
This is really funny to me as the testwriter is a personal friend. I would say test writers are influenced by tests that they've taken before, so some writers (myself included) will have questions like that because we were similarly expected to know that information when we competed. Sometimes, those hyper-specific esoteric details are what help us separate scores. We don't necessarily want to have questions like that, but we realize some people who don't take the event seriously just won't have that information.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
JonNykiel
State: OH

Post by JonNykiel »

Has anyone found any useful textbooks for this event? The only free one I've managed to find is http://www.gdmc.nl/oosterom/PoRSHyperlinked.pdf but most of the information in here is irrelevant. In particular, I'm looking for a book that covers more of the ecology behind remote sensing and less of the physics. Thanks!
Xuax

Post by Xuax »

JonNykiel wrote:Has anyone found any useful textbooks for this event? The only free one I've managed to find is http://www.gdmc.nl/oosterom/PoRSHyperlinked.pdf but most of the information in here is irrelevant. In particular, I'm looking for a book that covers more of the ecology behind remote sensing and less of the physics. Thanks!
You don't really need textbooks. If you want information about the ecology and climate change aspect, watching climate science lectures is very helpful, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlUSCsdqB0.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Hey guys, I got a question for you all...

There is an atmospheric window that permits transmission of EM energy in the following range:

a) 0.001 to 0.01 micrometers
b) 0.01 to 0.1 micrometers
c) 5 to 8 micrometers
d) 8 to 14 micrometers
e) 100 to 800 micrometers.

Apparently the answer is C, however I think it is D because of transmission window graphs that I find all over the internet. Why is it C? Did they grade wrong?
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

hearthstone224 wrote:Hey guys, I got a question for you all...

There is an atmospheric window that permits transmission of EM energy in the following range:

c) 5 to 8 micrometers
d) 8 to 14 micrometers

Apparently the answer is C, however I think it is D because of transmission window graphs that I find all over the internet. Why is it C? Did they grade wrong?
Try using smaller scale graphs, such as this one of the infrared info, which is what is in that wavelength.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Unome wrote:

c) 5 to 8 micrometers
d) 8 to 14 micrometers

Try using smaller scale graphs, such as this one of the infrared info, which is what is in that wavelength.
Even with that though, isn't the answer 8 to 14? It's clearly not 5 to 8. I think they made a mistake.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

hearthstone224 wrote:
Unome wrote:

c) 5 to 8 micrometers
d) 8 to 14 micrometers

Even with that though, isn't the answer 8 to 14? It's clearly not 5 to 8. I think they made a mistake.
Unless I'm reading the graph wrong, there's clearly a gap with very little to no absorption between 5-8 micrometers.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

Unome wrote:
hearthstone224 wrote:
Unome wrote: Try using smaller scale graphs, such as this one of the infrared info, which is what is in that wavelength.
Unless I'm reading the graph wrong, there's clearly a gap with very little to no absorption between 5-8 micrometers.
An atmospheric window involves little to no absorption. It lets a lot of the IR through, hence "window."

Edit: it actually depends on what the vertical axis is labeled as (absorption or transmission), but we can't see in this one. I automatically assumed it was absorption because of the words "absorbing molecule" on the bottom, but it may very well be transmission. If it is transmission, then you're correct. If it is absorption, then Unome is correct.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Alright. I don't wanna make a huge deal of this (and thanks for your help guys) but here's the image I'm looking at. I think its transmission

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... edning.png

Hopefully it shows up. Anyways, thanks for your help!

Return to “2017 Study Events”