Remote Sensing C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?
In all previous situations I've seen it interpreted as two sheets (though this was only at MIT and State, since we didn't have two sheets at any other competitions that I can remember), however a FAQ would be nice.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?
In all previous situations I've seen it interpreted as two sheets (though this was only at MIT and State, since we didn't have two sheets at any other competitions that I can remember), however a FAQ would be nice.
Interesting...
chalker wrote: *tag*
Sorry to tag you chalker, but I think this is pretty important. I know you're part of the physics committee, not the earth science committee, but can you try to get in contact with them about this? Or at least give your interpretation? (I also know this isn't the official place for rules clarifications, but I did already submit an official one)

To be more specific, in section (2) of the Remote Sensing rules, the text reads "Each participant may bring one 8.5" x 11" two-sided sheet of paper containing any information from any source." Since this event allows two students to compete on each team, is each team of two students allowed two two-sided sheets of paper?

Thanks chalker!
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

I agree this needs to be answered ASAP for nationals preparation. I too have submitted FAQs and Clarifications regarding this which have yet to be acknowledged...
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Personally, I think that they will allow 2 sheets.

I did not do this event at regionals, but my partner who did said that they had to argue with the ES until they eventually were allowed 2 sheets.

At states we will be bringing two versions of our cheat sheet: a 2-page version, for if they allow 2 pages; and a 1-page, abbreviated version with just the most important info for if they only allow one sheet.

It's unfortunate that this was unclear. I don't see why they used the word "participant." If they meant "team" they should've just said that.

If by "participant" they meant each individual person then that seems like a strange rule. If a person competes solo, without a partner, then why give them even more of a disadvantage? Why not just say 2 per team, to make it equal for the (very few) solo competitors and to be more clear?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Raleway »

In my state and all the invitationals we have competed in (approximately 3), two sheets were allowed and there were no questions about it. I think everyone assumed that if you were a one person team doing Remsen, then you could only have one sheet. I don't understand the reasoning behind the rules as most events like matsci use the noun team which makes far more sense.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

And we have yet to hear back from them about the one sheet vs two sheet problem...
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/remotesensing.php
NCSO Website wrote:"Each student may bring one 8.5”x11” two-sided sheet of paper containing whatever information they choose (if there is only one teammate, they can only have 1 sheet)."
And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:
NCSO Website wrote:"Please view the sample event found below (2007 topic). It was written by the same person who is writing this year’s regional, state, and national tests, and will give you a feel for how the event is structured."
So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
NCSO Website wrote:"Each student may bring one 8.5”x11” two-sided sheet of paper containing whatever information they choose (if there is only one teammate, they can only have 1 sheet)."
And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:
NCSO Website wrote:"Please view the sample event found below (2007 topic). It was written by the same person who is writing this year’s regional, state, and national tests, and will give you a feel for how the event is structured."
So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.
When was this posted? As far as I know Mark Van Hecke was going to be the national event supervisor (prior to his passing a few weeks ago), but I can't think why he would have been writing in North Carolina (though I could be wrong).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bhavjain
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by bhavjain »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
When was this posted? As far as I know Mark Van Hecke was going to be the national event supervisor (prior to his passing a few weeks ago), but I can't think why he would have been writing in North Carolina (though I could be wrong).
Wait, what happened with Mark van Hecke???
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)
MattH2018
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by MattH2018 »

bhavjain wrote:
Unome wrote:

Wait, what happened with Mark van Hecke???
He passed from cancer

Return to “2017 Study Events”