hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by hearthstone224 »

Hey congrats!

I'll definitely be looking at the wiki and trying to understand all the material, but in general what should we expect? From the topic about climate, what kind of questions does that involve?

This event is a little old, isn't it?
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

How much do you guys think this event has changed since the last time it was in cycle? Are the practice tests from 2013 and 2012 still reliable for practice?

Thanks for your help!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

The main change in the rules is that they seem to have gotten quite a bit more specific. In 2012 they were a lot more general in terms of satellite knowledge and interpretation, whereas now they specify a lot of different satellites and types of imagery. Most tests should remain at least somewhat relevant, but just keep in mind that they may not be quite as focused as this year's test might be.

Also, I have no idea what the rules were like in 2013, so tread that year's tests with caution. I can't imagine they were too different from 2012, though.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Oh ok. Well I'll probably take those tests since I don't really have any other resources to look through. Thanks for the advice.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Private Wang Fire
State: OH

Post by Private Wang Fire »

hearthstone224 wrote:How much do you guys think this event has changed since the last time it was in cycle? Are the practice tests from 2013 and 2012 still reliable for practice?

Thanks for your help!
From the few tests I've taken so far, I think the rules changing to be really A-Train and climate specific is the biggest one.

You know all the images are gonna be A-Train satellites; identifying which ones and being able to relate the data in the images to climate change is pretty important I feel.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Can you maybe give an example of how it would relate to climate change?

For example, what would a question like that be like?

Thanks.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Private Wang Fire
State: OH

Post by Private Wang Fire »

hearthstone224 wrote:Can you maybe give an example of how it would relate to climate change?

For example, what would a question like that be like?

Thanks.
Like correlating OCO2 data with carbon sinks or CERES images with greenhouse gases, etc.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Hm, that's interesting.

Do you guys think the topics have shifted more from NDVI/EVI to climate change topics?

Like do you guys think it would be worth memorizing the EVI formula (Because it is a bit lengthy)

Thanks.

Remote-Sensing

Post by Remote-Sensing »

On the Remote Sensing Syllabus, it says that "Each participant may bring one 8.5x11 two-sided piece of paper." Does this mean that a team of two people can bring two double-sided cheatsheets or just one overall?
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

Remote-Sensing wrote:On the Remote Sensing Syllabus, it says that "Each participant may bring one 8.5x11 two-sided piece of paper." Does this mean that a team of two people can bring two double-sided cheatsheets or just one overall?
I have had issues with this in previous competitions, with proctors telling me I can only bring one. However, the rules do say "each participant" which means that if you have two people in the event, you're allowed two pieces of paper. If you have one person coming, then you're allowed one cheat sheet. If a proctor tells you that you're only allowed one piece of paper, you should have the rules with you at all times and point out where it says "each participant." Make sure to be assertive! ;)
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23

Return to “2017 Study Events”