Remote Sensing C

olivia_mcg
State: -

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby olivia_mcg » January 17th, 2017, 1:29 pm

What do we need to know about the Planck function, Wein's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law? Do we need to know how to use it with the formulas or just know what it is and what it is used for? :ugeek:

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 17th, 2017, 1:50 pm

What do we need to know about the Planck function, Wein's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law? Do we need to know how to use it with the formulas or just know what it is and what it is used for? :ugeek:
I'd recommend both, since the latter two aren't too difficult once you know what it's doing.

A question about the Planck function: is there a good way to actually apply this to calculating emittance from spectral radiance and wavelength? I saw a few problems that were exactly this, but couldn't figure them out.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Private Wang Fire
State: OH

Postby Private Wang Fire » January 19th, 2017, 8:11 am

I'd recommend both, since the latter two aren't too difficult once you know what it's doing.

A question about the Planck function: is there a good way to actually apply this to calculating emittance from spectral radiance and wavelength? I saw a few problems that were exactly this, but couldn't figure them out.
We're the problems on a scioly test? Could you post/link them here?

Planck function math gets jank. I don't really understand steradians/solid angles.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

JShap
State: PA

Postby JShap » January 19th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Does anyone know who the national event supervisor is?

Piggy
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Piggy » January 19th, 2017, 6:24 pm

The rules state "each participant may bring one 8.5" x 11" two-sided sheet of paper..."
I interpreted this as one team (of two) could bring two double-sided sheets, a total of four sides. Yet the Remote Sensing wiki and some event supervisors at previous competitions have insisted upon "Each team can bring 1 double sided Note Sheet". Can someone clarify this?

Also has anyone had to actually use anything from the listed "two metric rulers, protractors, triangles, magnifying glasses, and non-graphing calculators" besides the calculator(s)?

Unome

Postby Unome » January 19th, 2017, 6:31 pm

The rules state "each participant may bring one 8.5" x 11" two-sided sheet of paper..."
I interpreted this as one team (of two) could bring two double-sided sheets, a total of four sides. Yet the Remote Sensing wiki and some event supervisors at previous competitions have insisted upon "Each team can bring 1 double sided Note Sheet". Can someone clarify this?

Also has anyone had to actually use anything from the listed "two metric rulers, protractors, triangles, magnifying glasses, and non-graphing calculators" besides the calculator(s)?
The wiki is outdated. Event supervisors, I'm not so sure about; probably they're just the type of regulars that aren't really that involved and don't check the rules each year. This used to happen a lot at state back when I was in middle school (when state was at SPSU); each event sup had a particular way of doing things, and knowing their methods really helped. In particular for me, when I won my second state gold (Metric Mastery), I prepared that year based on what the event supervisor did the previous year, which worked out; the format was nearly identical. This was my first introduction to what I still consider the most unique aspect of SO.

...wow that was quite a tangent. Anyway, it's almost universally interpreted as you did, but be prepared for the alternative, especially if you know something in particular about the event supervisor.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Piggy
State: NY

Postby Piggy » January 19th, 2017, 7:03 pm

I think it is Mark A. Van Hecke (or at least he was the National Event Supervisor).

Unome

Postby Unome » January 23rd, 2017, 4:48 am

I think it is Mark A. Van Hecke (or at least he was the National Event Supervisor).
This would make sense, and would also explain why Enrica Quartini is doing Dynamic Planet in C (or so I've heard). In 2015 Van Hecke did DyPlan B and Russ Crittenden did DyPlan C, so I guess they're moving Crittenden to B and adding Quartini to C, since Geomaps is rotating out and Remote is rotating in (and iirc the 2013 Nationals Remote test was apparently pretty bad).
Userpage

hearthstone224
State: IL

Postby hearthstone224 » January 28th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Sweet day for me today! Went to invitational, took the Remote Sensing test. Was hard, and didn't really know what I was doing. Was sitting in the awards ceremony.

"AA TEAMS!" The announcer says.

4th! Grayslake! (I'm not sure if these are the right schools, but its something like this). "Oh, well there's still 3rd for us (Lake Forest).
3rd! Naperville! "Dang, well maybe we can get 2nd"
2nd! Stevenson Varsity!! (At this point, I didn't think we stood a chance. Stevenson had a JV and Varsity team, and they were both the most overpowered teams in state. For previous events the JV team and Varsity Team had swept 1st and 2nd.

1st! LAKE FOREST!!!

I freaked out dude, it was crazy.

But yeah, thanks for all your help guys. I came 1st out of 42 teams which is pretty crazy. Not to mention I was in AA division which is the hardest one there.

Also, I got 42/60 and I'm really confused how that's first place, but I'll take it. Thanks again! Just thought I'd share this sweetness with people who helped me.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » January 28th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Also, I got 42/60 and I'm really confused how that's first place, but I'll take it.
For some reason in Remote Sensing a lot of teams end up doing poorly and "bad" scores get good places.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

hearthstone224

Postby hearthstone224 » January 29th, 2017, 6:54 pm

Correction, it was 42/70. That's even worse!

But I'm telling you, the test was quite hard. Some of it was right off the wiki which was quite funny.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » January 29th, 2017, 7:21 pm

But I'm telling you, the test was quite hard. Some of it was right off the wiki which was quite funny.
Some events are just like that. At Islip my 1st place in Invasive(the test wasn't even that hard) was a lower percentage than my 14th place in Disease.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Clematis
State: -

Postby Clematis » February 2nd, 2017, 6:58 pm

Some events are just like that. At Islip my 1st place in Invasive(the test wasn't even that hard) was a lower percentage than my 14th place in Disease.
I've found all the remote sensing tests I've taken to be really hard compared to my other events. In terms of school grades, they would all fail. Have any of you ever earned a passing grade (65%) or higher on a Remote Sensing test?
"The most dangerous thing you could've done was give them a glimmer of hope. By letting them see that the impossible was possible, you ignited a fire within them. Now, they know that they can do it, and they won't stop until they have."

jonboyage

Postby jonboyage » February 2nd, 2017, 7:25 pm

I've found all the remote sensing tests I've taken to be really hard compared to my other events. In terms of school grades, they would all fail. Have any of you ever earned a passing grade (65%) or higher on a Remote Sensing test?
I have only ever done it twice/three times at invitationals but it is indeed difficult with all of the possible information that you can be tested on, all of which you either have to memorize/learn or stick it somewhere on your cheat sheets. This tends to make the text really small and sometimes hard to find.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23

hearthstone224

Postby hearthstone224 » February 3rd, 2017, 7:44 am

Yeah, I realize sometimes they ask you things that are really hard to know, like for example they could ask you about which bands on a certain sensor test NIR wavelength. The only way to get that right would be to have all the bands laid out, and that's not going to happen for every satellite.

Return to “2017 Study Events”