Remote Sensing C

hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby hearthstone224 » January 29th, 2017, 6:54 pm

Correction, it was 42/70. That's even worse!

But I'm telling you, the test was quite hard. Some of it was right off the wiki which was quite funny.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.

maxxxxx
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby maxxxxx » January 29th, 2017, 7:21 pm

But I'm telling you, the test was quite hard. Some of it was right off the wiki which was quite funny.
Some events are just like that. At Islip my 1st place in Invasive(the test wasn't even that hard) was a lower percentage than my 14th place in Disease.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Clematis

Postby Clematis » February 2nd, 2017, 6:58 pm

Some events are just like that. At Islip my 1st place in Invasive(the test wasn't even that hard) was a lower percentage than my 14th place in Disease.
I've found all the remote sensing tests I've taken to be really hard compared to my other events. In terms of school grades, they would all fail. Have any of you ever earned a passing grade (65%) or higher on a Remote Sensing test?
"The most dangerous thing you could've done was give them a glimmer of hope. By letting them see that the impossible was possible, you ignited a fire within them. Now, they know that they can do it, and they won't stop until they have."

jonboyage
State: PA

Postby jonboyage » February 2nd, 2017, 7:25 pm

I've found all the remote sensing tests I've taken to be really hard compared to my other events. In terms of school grades, they would all fail. Have any of you ever earned a passing grade (65%) or higher on a Remote Sensing test?
I have only ever done it twice/three times at invitationals but it is indeed difficult with all of the possible information that you can be tested on, all of which you either have to memorize/learn or stick it somewhere on your cheat sheets. This tends to make the text really small and sometimes hard to find.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23

hearthstone224

Postby hearthstone224 » February 3rd, 2017, 7:44 am

Yeah, I realize sometimes they ask you things that are really hard to know, like for example they could ask you about which bands on a certain sensor test NIR wavelength. The only way to get that right would be to have all the bands laid out, and that's not going to happen for every satellite.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » February 3rd, 2017, 3:09 pm

Yeah, I realize sometimes they ask you things that are really hard to know, like for example they could ask you about which bands on a certain sensor test NIR wavelength. The only way to get that right would be to have all the bands laid out, and that's not going to happen for every satellite.
I haven't taken a close look at the rules this year, but unless that's a specific satellite they're emphasizing this year, that's just a bad question. I know I'd never include that on my tests. Your focus when studying shouldn't be on hyper-specific, esoteric details. Because remote sensing is such a unique process, your goal when studying for this event should be to amass a solid foundation of understanding the process, and a good test should have you build off that foundation and apply what you know in new and different real-world scenarios.

Anyway, if you ever take one of my tests, don't worry about rote memorization ;)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 3rd, 2017, 3:28 pm

hyper-specific, esoteric details.
cough MIT cough (the satellite, exact altitude of the satellite, and swath width of ASTER?)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » February 3rd, 2017, 8:24 pm

Does anyone have a reliable souce for types of orbits? There are lots of conflicting sources and some use Geo-synchronous and Geo-stationary synonymously
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » February 4th, 2017, 11:12 am

hyper-specific, esoteric details.
cough MIT cough (the satellite, exact altitude of the satellite, and swath width of ASTER?)
@Luo let me write your Remote Sensing test next year
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

hearthstone224

Postby hearthstone224 » February 5th, 2017, 5:25 pm

I haven't taken a close look at the rules this year, but unless that's a specific satellite they're emphasizing this year, that's just a bad question. I know I'd never include that on my tests. Your focus when studying shouldn't be on hyper-specific, esoteric details. Because remote sensing is such a unique process, your goal when studying for this event should be to amass a solid foundation of understanding the process, and a good test should have you build off that foundation and apply what you know in new and different real-world scenarios.

Anyway, if you ever take one of my tests, don't worry about rote memorization ;)
I'm just curious as to what you mean when you say understanding a solid foundation. I've kind of been studying by looking at the rules and googling each subject, and also doing practice tests. Is this good enough? Surprisingly it was enough to win an invitational- but I think the test at regionals will be better structured.

Some of the questions on the invitational test was straight off a test I did on the wiki. That might've been why I did so well.

Return to “2017 Study Events”