Remote Sensing C

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Unome » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?

In all previous situations I've seen it interpreted as two sheets (though this was only at MIT and State, since we didn't have two sheets at any other competitions that I can remember), however a FAQ would be nice.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?

In all previous situations I've seen it interpreted as two sheets (though this was only at MIT and State, since we didn't have two sheets at any other competitions that I can remember), however a FAQ would be nice.


Interesting...

chalker wrote:*tag*


Sorry to tag you chalker, but I think this is pretty important. I know you're part of the physics committee, not the earth science committee, but can you try to get in contact with them about this? Or at least give your interpretation? (I also know this isn't the official place for rules clarifications, but I did already submit an official one)

To be more specific, in section (2) of the Remote Sensing rules, the text reads "Each participant may bring one 8.5" x 11" two-sided sheet of paper containing any information from any source." Since this event allows two students to compete on each team, is each team of two students allowed two two-sided sheets of paper?

Thanks chalker!
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)
UMass Amherst (2017-2021)

"After many years, perhaps someone may search our names in a page of the history book."

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:37 am
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby windu34 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 am

I agree this needs to be answered ASAP for nationals preparation. I too have submitted FAQs and Clarifications regarding this which have yet to be acknowledged...
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
SONT 2016: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 3rd place in Robot Arm
SONT 2017: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 5th place in Invasive Species
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:35 am

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?


Personally, I think that they will allow 2 sheets.

I did not do this event at regionals, but my partner who did said that they had to argue with the ES until they eventually were allowed 2 sheets.

At states we will be bringing two versions of our cheat sheet: a 2-page version, for if they allow 2 pages; and a 1-page, abbreviated version with just the most important info for if they only allow one sheet.

It's unfortunate that this was unclear. I don't see why they used the word "participant." If they meant "team" they should've just said that.

If by "participant" they meant each individual person then that seems like a strange rule. If a person competes solo, without a partner, then why give them even more of a disadvantage? Why not just say 2 per team, to make it equal for the (very few) solo competitors and to be more clear?
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:19 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Raleway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?


In my state and all the invitationals we have competed in (approximately 3), two sheets were allowed and there were no questions about it. I think everyone assumed that if you were a one person team doing Remsen, then you could only have one sheet. I don't understand the reasoning behind the rules as most events like matsci use the noun team which makes far more sense.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 am

And we have yet to hear back from them about the one sheet vs two sheet problem...
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)
UMass Amherst (2017-2021)

"After many years, perhaps someone may search our names in a page of the history book."

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 am

If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/remotesensing.php

NCSO Website wrote:"Each student may bring one 8.5”x11” two-sided sheet of paper containing whatever information they choose (if there is only one teammate, they can only have 1 sheet)."

And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:

NCSO Website wrote:"Please view the sample event found below (2007 topic). It was written by the same person who is writing this year’s regional, state, and national tests, and will give you a feel for how the event is structured."


So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Unome » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/remotesensing.php

NCSO Website wrote:"Each student may bring one 8.5”x11” two-sided sheet of paper containing whatever information they choose (if there is only one teammate, they can only have 1 sheet)."

And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:

NCSO Website wrote:"Please view the sample event found below (2007 topic). It was written by the same person who is writing this year’s regional, state, and national tests, and will give you a feel for how the event is structured."


So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.

When was this posted? As far as I know Mark Van Hecke was going to be the national event supervisor (prior to his passing a few weeks ago), but I can't think why he would have been writing in North Carolina (though I could be wrong).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

User avatar
bhavjain
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:30 am
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby bhavjain » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/remotesensing.php

NCSO Website wrote:"Each student may bring one 8.5”x11” two-sided sheet of paper containing whatever information they choose (if there is only one teammate, they can only have 1 sheet)."

And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:

NCSO Website wrote:"Please view the sample event found below (2007 topic). It was written by the same person who is writing this year’s regional, state, and national tests, and will give you a feel for how the event is structured."


So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.

When was this posted? As far as I know Mark Van Hecke was going to be the national event supervisor (prior to his passing a few weeks ago), but I can't think why he would have been writing in North Carolina (though I could be wrong).


Wait, what happened with Mark van Hecke???
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)

MattH2018
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:37 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby MattH2018 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:29 pm

bhavjain wrote:
Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/remotesensing.php


And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:



So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.

When was this posted? As far as I know Mark Van Hecke was going to be the national event supervisor (prior to his passing a few weeks ago), but I can't think why he would have been writing in North Carolina (though I could be wrong).


Wait, what happened with Mark van Hecke???

He passed from cancer

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:08 am

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:If it helps, this was what NC science olympiad had under its event resources page:
http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/remotesensing.php

NCSO Website wrote:"Each student may bring one 8.5”x11” two-sided sheet of paper containing whatever information they choose (if there is only one teammate, they can only have 1 sheet)."

And apparently, the guy who's writing the NC state remote sensing test is also writing the nationals test:

NCSO Website wrote:"Please view the sample event found below (2007 topic). It was written by the same person who is writing this year’s regional, state, and national tests, and will give you a feel for how the event is structured."


So that would make me think that at nats they would have the same interpretation of the rules.

When was this posted? As far as I know Mark Van Hecke was going to be the national event supervisor (prior to his passing a few weeks ago), but I can't think why he would have been writing in North Carolina (though I could be wrong).


All I know is what the NCSO website posted (which I quoted). It's possible that he's writing for multiple states, maybe?

Anyway, that has been up on the NCSO website for about a month, if not more I think.
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

Joycegu99
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:13 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Being Invasive
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Joycegu99 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Have there been any updates on the cheat sheet rule clarifications?
Harriton High School

2016-17:
UGA/Forsyth Central/Brookwood/MIT/Regionals/State/Nationals
Team Spirit (Individual): 1/3/2/14/3//
Crave the Minerals: 11/-/1/13/-/-/
Wright it Do it: 3/1/-/2/2//
Invasive Rocks: -/-/4/11/5//
Remote Planet: 8/1/-/13/1//
Picture That: 12/2/18/16/4//

Private Wang Fire
Member
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:43 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Private Wang Fire » Sat May 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Joycegu99 wrote:Have there been any updates on the cheat sheet rule clarifications?


I don't know about anything official, but at both the Ohio State tournament and at the Wright State invite we were allowed to use 2 pages front/back (sorry joining the party kinda late).
MASON HIGH SCHOOL

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:37 am
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby windu34 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:26 pm

So when using the formula to calculate EVI, is order of operations implied? Or do we just calculate from left to right?
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
SONT 2016: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 3rd place in Robot Arm
SONT 2017: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 5th place in Invasive Species
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

User avatar
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:53 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby dcrxcode » Sun May 14, 2017 11:49 pm

windu34 wrote:So when using the formula to calculate EVI, is order of operations implied? Or do we just calculate from left to right?


Order of operations is implied, from what I can tell.


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest