Rocks and Minerals B/C

animechicadee
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by animechicadee »

Does anyone know any good sites that tell you the properties of garnet and mica? I can't seem to find one and I need one quick, I've got an invitational in 9 days! :lol: :shock: :| :?:
Llamastwaimzjf

Post by Llamastwaimzjf »

Oh ok. Thank you. When I took my binder for invitationals I had trouble with my notes, since I only had 3 minutes in each station my notes were unorganized which were no use. What are a few tips on how to write my notes?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Oh ok. Thank you. When I took my binder for invitationals I had trouble with my notes, since I only had 3 minutes in each station my notes were unorganized which were no use. What are a few tips on how to write my notes?
I'd suggest using about half a page per item on the list, with a table of basic info on each, plus a paragraph (or more if needed) of text about it. Try to keep the size of the info to a minimum while still having everything you need; it really helps to find info fast. Having a few large tables at the beginning listing all of the rocks/minerals and stuff like hardness, specific gravity, and other quick facts can also be helpful. I'd recommend a few pages or so on general info at the front (different types of rocks/minerals, magma, Bowen's Reaction Series, etc.), and your more detailed stuff at the back, since it's less likely to be used. If it's done well, the entire binder can take up less than 80 pages and still have more than enough information for most competitions.

Note: this is based mostly on my experience with Fossils from previous years, with some R&M info that I learned at the beginning on this year.
Llamastwaimzjf

Post by Llamastwaimzjf »

Thank you, I've been having trouble with that. Are we allowed to have dividers to make my notes more organized?
Clematis
Division: C

Post by Clematis »

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Thank you, I've been having trouble with that. Are we allowed to have dividers to make my notes more organized?
Yeah. I'm actually planning on switching from sticky notes to dividers for binder organization this year.
RE02

Post by RE02 »

I have a question for the quartz section. For the classification, is it "quartz" or "silica group"?
Also, when it tells us to get info on "crystal", what mineral is that, as the name is kind of vague?
Llamastwaimzjf

Post by Llamastwaimzjf »

Thanks. In what format did you write your binder of notes?
Clematis
Division: C

Post by Clematis »

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Thanks. In what format did you write your binder of notes?
No problem! I have one page per mineral/rock with all the information that the rule sheet suggests with composition, streak, etc. and then in the front and back of the binder I have notes for additional stuff such as Bowman's Reaction Series. Each individual section is marked off by dividers for easier navigation.
Llamastwaimzjf

Post by Llamastwaimzjf »

That's what I did. And when I went to invitationals I was thrown off by some of the questions. There were some questions asking about where do sedimentary rocks mostly form,etc. Can you think of any possible websites or guides,books that may help?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:That's what I did. And when I went to invitationals I was thrown off by some of the questions. There were some questions asking about where do sedimentary rocks mostly form,etc. Can you think of any possible websites or guides,books that may help?
General knowledge is fairly important in R&M (compared to, say, Invasive Species). I'd recommend a few good geology textbooks, combined with internet research of whatever comes up that you don't know (<- based off of what I did in Fossils).

Return to “2017 Study Events”