Rocks and Minerals B/C

RE02
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by RE02 »

Is grade of metamorphism only for metamorphic rocks? Because I cant find anything for igneous or sedimentary.
Also, what is Bowen's Reaction Series, and is it different for every rock?
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

RE02 wrote:Is grade of metamorphism only for metamorphic rocks? Because I cant find anything for igneous or sedimentary.
Yep, since only metamorphic rocks have metamorphosed, there is only a grade of metamorphism for metamorphic rocks. However, metamorphic rocks do have parent rocks (e.g. slate's parent rock is shale, a sedimentary rock) which I guess you could think of as a 0th grade metamorphism; a rock that, once metamorphosed into another rock, is metamorphic.
RE02 wrote:Also, what is Bowen's Reaction Series, and is it different for every rock?
Bowen's Reaction Series is for igneous rocks- it's basically the order in which different minerals crystalise as magma rises. As the magma rises, it cools from very high temperatures; minerals with higher melting points will crystalise first and those with lower melting points crystalise last. Here's a typical chart:
Entomology
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

So let me get this straight, Agate/Onyx are varieties of Chalcedony, which is a variety of quartz. In addition, this means the varieties of Agate/Onyx (Ex. Banded Agate) are theoretically varieties of chalcedony. Why are Agate/Onyx varieties of chalcedony and not all the other quartzs as well? All the quartzes share chemical formula, crystal system, hardness, etc so why is Agate/Onyx specifically a variety of chalcedony only?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Entomology wrote:So let me get this straight, Agate/Onyx are varieties of Chalcedony, which is a variety of quartz. In addition, this means the varieties of Agate/Onyx (Ex. Banded Agate) are theoretically varieties of chalcedony. Why are Agate/Onyx varieties of chalcedony and not all the other quartzs as well? All the quartzes share chemical formula, crystal system, hardness, etc so why is Agate/Onyx specifically a variety of chalcedony only?
Not entirely sure, but if I remember correctly, chalcedony is defined as quartz without a visible crystal structure, so maybe because agate & onyx have no visible crystal structure, while other quartzes do?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
RE02

Post by RE02 »

I can't find info on garnet schist and mica schist as separate rocks; everywhere I look has them as one rock, but the list has them as two separate ones. Does anyone have a website or resource I could use? (:
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

RE02 wrote:I can't find info on garnet schist and mica schist as separate rocks; everywhere I look has them as one rock, but the list has them as two separate ones. Does anyone have a website or resource I could use? (:
Have you tried using Audubon, Smithsonian, field guides, etc? I used a couple of detailed geology books from my local library to study. If you still can't find them listed as separate rocks, I think it should still be fine. Aren't the two rocks very similar anyway, besides the inclusions of the different minerals?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
scribbles19

Post by scribbles19 »

I'm new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place D: But I was wondering, in the rules, it says one of the topics under "rocks" is the "rock cycle." So, for example, if I'm studying the metamorphic rock Gneiss, what would be the "rock cycle" for that particular rock? Thanks in advance!
megan_scioly

Post by megan_scioly »

Are there any tests for 2017 that can be found online?
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

scribbles19 wrote:I'm new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place D: But I was wondering, in the rules, it says one of the topics under "rocks" is the "rock cycle." So, for example, if I'm studying the metamorphic rock Gneiss, what would be the "rock cycle" for that particular rock? Thanks in advance!
How does gneiss form? In order to answer that you need to figure out how metamorphic rocks in general form, and the specific case for gneiss. Do that for several rocks and you'll start to see some patterns. Good luck!

Now for my question: I'll be at an invitational in a few days held at a high school, should I expect to see real specimens or pictures?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote: Now for my question: I'll be at an invitational in a few days held at a high school, should I expect to see real specimens or pictures?
"Don't expect either; be prepared for both."

(Hopefully whichever school proctors it will have access to and use real specimens, but I wouldn't count on that being the case.)

Return to “2017 Study Events”