Rocks and Minerals B/C

Entomology
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by Entomology »

First year doing rocks; apologies if I sound stupid.

Should talc be considered as a health problem? There are a lot of sources saying stuff about cancer and respiratory disease etc etc. I'm a bit worried if the talc we use in the classroom is safe to touch excessively (which I did for an hour yesterday). I'm not sure of the exact source of our talc, It may or may not be from the official kits (most likely not).

Thanks!
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Person
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

Entomology wrote:First year doing rocks; apologies if I sound stupid.

Should talc be considered as a health problem? There are a lot of sources saying stuff about cancer and respiratory disease etc etc. I'm a bit worried if the talc we use in the classroom is safe to touch excessively (which I did for an hour yesterday). I'm not sure of the exact source of our talc, It may or may not be from the official kits (most likely not).

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure inhaling too much of it can be dangerous, but I'm not sure if it can be absorbed through the skin.
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Entomology wrote:First year doing rocks; apologies if I sound stupid.

Thanks!
Wikipedia wrote:cosmetic grade talc containing no asbestos-like fibres was correlated with tumor formation in rats forced to inhale talc for 6 hours a day, five days a week over at least 113 weeks
I hope you aren't using them that intensively :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
-Groundhog-
Division: B
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by -Groundhog- »

First time doing this event. About how much of the information should you be able to know off the top of your head?
"The only people you should get even with are those who have helped you."

2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals, Write It Do It

2016: Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Picture This, Reach for the Stars
tyasasvi

Post by tyasasvi »

Does anyone know a really good field guide I should base my notes off of? Can someone let me just have a peak at their binder cause I never chose an event where you could use a binder? Is their a limit on how many pages the binder may have?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

tyasasvi wrote: Does anyone know a really good field guide I should base my notes off of? Can someone let me just have a peak at their binder cause I never chose an event where you could use a binder? Is their a limit on how many pages the binder may have?
There's a pretty good description of field guides on the wiki; others on this thread can probably give you more info about this as well. The rules manual specifically mentions that the binder may be any size (this is almost universally taken to mean any amount of pages as well, and it would take a lot of time for event supervisors to check); historically there has never been a limit on binder size for events allowing a binder, and this seems likely to continue into the foreseeable future.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Cherrie_Lan
State: NY

Post by Cherrie_Lan »

Is there a good way to distinguish between pink mica and lepidolite? Thanks!
Ward Melville High School 10th Grade
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Cherrie_Lan wrote:Is there a good way to distinguish between pink mica and lepidolite? Thanks!
To my knowledge the pink color in lepidolite is from the element lithium, so they are the exact same thing (I could be wrong on that). Do you have any images you could post on here?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Cherrie_Lan
State: NY

Post by Cherrie_Lan »

Sorry, I meant pink muscovite ^^"

I was working on my lepidolite page using this: http://www.minerals.net/mineral/lepidolite.aspx

Then when I got to the distinguishing similar minerals part, all it said for Pink Muscovite was "Very difficult to distinguish from Lepidolite." But no advice on how to distinguish them apart.

So I wondering if any of you guys could help me with it :D
Ward Melville High School 10th Grade
whovian11

Post by whovian11 »

What is he best thing to put in our binder? :)

Return to “2017 Study Events”