Rocks and Minerals B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by Unome »

tyasasvi wrote: Does anyone know a really good field guide I should base my notes off of? Can someone let me just have a peak at their binder cause I never chose an event where you could use a binder? Is their a limit on how many pages the binder may have?
There's a pretty good description of field guides on the wiki; others on this thread can probably give you more info about this as well. The rules manual specifically mentions that the binder may be any size (this is almost universally taken to mean any amount of pages as well, and it would take a lot of time for event supervisors to check); historically there has never been a limit on binder size for events allowing a binder, and this seems likely to continue into the foreseeable future.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Cherrie_Lan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Cherrie_Lan »

Is there a good way to distinguish between pink mica and lepidolite? Thanks!
Ward Melville High School 10th Grade
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Cherrie_Lan wrote:Is there a good way to distinguish between pink mica and lepidolite? Thanks!
To my knowledge the pink color in lepidolite is from the element lithium, so they are the exact same thing (I could be wrong on that). Do you have any images you could post on here?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Cherrie_Lan

Post by Cherrie_Lan »

Sorry, I meant pink muscovite ^^"

I was working on my lepidolite page using this: http://www.minerals.net/mineral/lepidolite.aspx

Then when I got to the distinguishing similar minerals part, all it said for Pink Muscovite was "Very difficult to distinguish from Lepidolite." But no advice on how to distinguish them apart.

So I wondering if any of you guys could help me with it :D
Ward Melville High School 10th Grade
whovian11

Post by whovian11 »

What is he best thing to put in our binder? :)
SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

whovian11 wrote:What is he best thing to put in our binder? :)
Can't say for certain, as having a diverse binder is important and what is in your binder should be based on personal preferences. If only one thing, I'd say personal descriptions of the samples including general information about them.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
bhavjain
State: PA

Post by bhavjain »

Anyone know how to visually and physically differentiate between chalk and diatomite?
rockster

Post by rockster »

Does anyone know how microcline forms? I'm trouble finding any good information on it.
Llamastwaimzjf

Post by Llamastwaimzjf »

Hey, so I'm having trouble with what to study, I went to an invitational a couple days ago and I was completely thrown off guard? For example they asked something about plutonic can someone please help?
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Hey, so I'm having trouble with what to study, I went to an invitational a couple days ago and I was completely thrown off guard? For example they asked something about plutonic can someone please help?
Well, make sure you understand the rock cycle in depth (e.g. the term "plutonic" is synonymous to "intrusive" in the context of igneous rocks).

Make sure you have information about characteristics, uses, etc. of all of the rocks and minerals on the list in your binder: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... lsList.pdf
Be able to identify all of them. I'd strongly recommend trying to get real specimens of them if possible to practice this.

Make sure you understand relationships between the rocks and minerals listed (e.g. how is each variety of quartz different from one another? What is the parent rock for each metamorphic rock? Which minerals are present in each igneous rock?)

Return to “2017 Study Events”