Rocks and Minerals B/C

animechicadee
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: December 7th, 2016, 1:38 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby animechicadee » December 7th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Does anyone know any good sites that tell you the properties of garnet and mica? I can't seem to find one and I need one quick, I've got an invitational in 9 days! :lol: :shock: :| :?:

Llamastwaimzjf
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 8:49 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Llamastwaimzjf » December 7th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Oh ok. Thank you. When I took my binder for invitationals I had trouble with my notes, since I only had 3 minutes in each station my notes were unorganized which were no use. What are a few tips on how to write my notes?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3562
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Unome » December 8th, 2016, 5:08 am

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Oh ok. Thank you. When I took my binder for invitationals I had trouble with my notes, since I only had 3 minutes in each station my notes were unorganized which were no use. What are a few tips on how to write my notes?

I'd suggest using about half a page per item on the list, with a table of basic info on each, plus a paragraph (or more if needed) of text about it. Try to keep the size of the info to a minimum while still having everything you need; it really helps to find info fast. Having a few large tables at the beginning listing all of the rocks/minerals and stuff like hardness, specific gravity, and other quick facts can also be helpful. I'd recommend a few pages or so on general info at the front (different types of rocks/minerals, magma, Bowen's Reaction Series, etc.), and your more detailed stuff at the back, since it's less likely to be used. If it's done well, the entire binder can take up less than 80 pages and still have more than enough information for most competitions.

Note: this is based mostly on my experience with Fossils from previous years, with some R&M info that I learned at the beginning on this year.

Llamastwaimzjf
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 8:49 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Llamastwaimzjf » December 8th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Thank you, I've been having trouble with that. Are we allowed to have dividers to make my notes more organized?

User avatar
Clematis
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 10th, 2016, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Hiding under my covers with a textbook
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Clematis » December 11th, 2016, 9:50 am

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Thank you, I've been having trouble with that. Are we allowed to have dividers to make my notes more organized?

Yeah. I'm actually planning on switching from sticky notes to dividers for binder organization this year.

RE02
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: December 11th, 2016, 3:20 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby RE02 » December 11th, 2016, 3:23 pm

I have a question for the quartz section. For the classification, is it "quartz" or "silica group"?
Also, when it tells us to get info on "crystal", what mineral is that, as the name is kind of vague?

Llamastwaimzjf
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 8:49 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Llamastwaimzjf » December 12th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Thanks. In what format did you write your binder of notes?

User avatar
Clematis
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 10th, 2016, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Hiding under my covers with a textbook
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Clematis » December 14th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Thanks. In what format did you write your binder of notes?


No problem! I have one page per mineral/rock with all the information that the rule sheet suggests with composition, streak, etc. and then in the front and back of the binder I have notes for additional stuff such as Bowman's Reaction Series. Each individual section is marked off by dividers for easier navigation.

Llamastwaimzjf
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 8:49 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Llamastwaimzjf » December 14th, 2016, 6:58 pm

That's what I did. And when I went to invitationals I was thrown off by some of the questions. There were some questions asking about where do sedimentary rocks mostly form,etc. Can you think of any possible websites or guides,books that may help?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3562
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Unome » December 14th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:That's what I did. And when I went to invitationals I was thrown off by some of the questions. There were some questions asking about where do sedimentary rocks mostly form,etc. Can you think of any possible websites or guides,books that may help?

General knowledge is fairly important in R&M (compared to, say, Invasive Species). I'd recommend a few good geology textbooks, combined with internet research of whatever comes up that you don't know (<- based off of what I did in Fossils).

-Groundhog-
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: April 17th, 2016, 4:22 pm
Division: B
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby -Groundhog- » December 15th, 2016, 5:07 pm

I'm having trouble with identification (no surprise). How do you get really good at that? What do you practice with?

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 575
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » December 15th, 2016, 7:28 pm

-Groundhog- wrote:I'm having trouble with identification (no surprise). How do you get really good at that? What do you practice with?

Flashcards. Use multiple images of the same mineral/rock so you see the variability. Making your binder also helps. And if you can afford it, the R&M kit from Ward's Science https://www.wardsci.com/store/catalog/p ... 470223-058 will help you for competition since they usually have real specimens.

On an unrelated note, I have trouble differentiating diatomite and chalk. Anyone have advice?

-Groundhog-
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: April 17th, 2016, 4:22 pm
Division: B
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby -Groundhog- » December 16th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Thanks!

DoReMiFossil
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: January 24th, 2016, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby DoReMiFossil » December 18th, 2016, 8:03 am

It's December and I haven't really studied yet oops, so this may be a dumb question. Are we expected to be able to definitively ID things based on picture alone or will there be cases where we'll need other identifying info in order to accurately ID?

User avatar
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 129
Joined: October 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Pangea
Contact:

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby azuritemalachite » December 18th, 2016, 9:51 am

DoReMiFossil wrote:It's December and I haven't really studied yet oops, so this may be a dumb question. Are we expected to be able to definitively ID things based on picture alone or will there be cases where we'll need other identifying info in order to accurately ID?


Usually, there's a specimen or a picture which you ID and then there will be questions about that certain specimen (like composition, common name, etc.), but nothing else except maybe a magnet. I'm not sure if ES will provide streak plates since it's not on the rules.

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
-Groundhog- wrote:I'm having trouble with identification (no surprise). How do you get really good at that? What do you practice with?

Flashcards. Use multiple images of the same mineral/rock so you see the variability. Making your binder also helps. And if you can afford it, the R&M kit from Ward's Science https://www.wardsci.com/store/catalog/p ... 470223-058 will help you for competition since they usually have real specimens.

On an unrelated note, I have trouble differentiating diatomite and chalk. Anyone have advice?


To ID you can just use flashcards(like Karp has said)/a Quizlet (the games help with speed) and there are certain characteristics that each mineral/rock will have.For example, galena is a dense, silver metallic mineral that has a cubic system (therefore it is boxy) and is NOT magnetic, so by using that information, you can match up minerals and rule out other ones. The mineral/rock boxes are useful, but they will often have very obvious specimens (good for starting off with), so you definitely want to look into more trickier specimens later.

Chalk is softer and powder-like whereas diatomite is grainier and less dense. Both are pretty flaky though.

Clematis wrote:
Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Thanks. In what format did you write your binder of notes?


No problem! I have one page per mineral/rock with all the information that the rule sheet suggests with composition, streak, etc. and then in the front and back of the binder I have notes for additional stuff such as Bowman's Reaction Series. Each individual section is marked off by dividers for easier navigation.


This is a pretty good method; my binder is similar to this.

RE02 wrote:I have a question for the quartz section. For the classification, is it "quartz" or "silica group"?
Also, when it tells us to get info on "crystal", what mineral is that, as the name is kind of vague?


Quartz is in the silica group; the list has quartz as its own subgroup since we're expected to ID a lot of varieties. The crystal form is basically just the normal clear kind.

animechicadee wrote:Does anyone know any good sites that tell you the properties of garnet and mica? I can't seem to find one and I need one quick, I've got an invitational in 9 days! :lol: :shock: :| :?:


mindat.org or min.det usually have a lot on minerals.


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest