Rocks and Minerals B/C

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Listening to the most boring lecture

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 8th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Jamerz wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:If Bauxite a rock, why is it in the minerals section?


Good Question. I don't know, to tell the truth. If I remember correctly, Bauxite is a rock (some webs classify it as a minerals so rip), but (correct me if I'm wrong), it refers to a group of rocks with a similar composition. I dunno, hope someone else knows.

*group of minerals


Thanks, but what are the minerals that make up Bauxite?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

User avatar
Clematis
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 10th, 2016, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Hiding under my covers with a textbook

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Clematis » February 14th, 2017, 6:34 pm

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Jamerz wrote:
Good Question. I don't know, to tell the truth. If I remember correctly, Bauxite is a rock (some webs classify it as a minerals so rip), but (correct me if I'm wrong), it refers to a group of rocks with a similar composition. I dunno, hope someone else knows.

*group of minerals


Thanks, but what are the minerals that make up Bauxite?


The sources I've used say that there are a couple (pretty sure it's 3) minerals that are too hard to distinguish unless you know the chemical composition. They are collectively known as Bauxite. I don't know the names of them off the top of my head, though, sorry.
"The most dangerous thing you could've done was give them a glimmer of hope. By letting them see that the impossible was possible, you ignited a fire within them. Now, they know that they can do it, and they won't stop until they have."

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Listening to the most boring lecture

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 16th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Clematis wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:*group of minerals


Thanks, but what are the minerals that make up Bauxite?


The sources I've used say that there are a couple (pretty sure it's 3) minerals that are too hard to distinguish unless you know the chemical composition. They are collectively known as Bauxite. I don't know the names of them off the top of my head, though, sorry.

Thanks though
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » March 5th, 2017, 8:07 pm

the mineral list includes crystal (quartz variety), i searched online and found nothing and i checked a field guide and found nothing again. can someone plz help. i do not understand what they mean by crystal.

plz help i have states in two days... :?

chick-fil-a for life
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: January 4th, 2017, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby chick-fil-a for life » March 5th, 2017, 9:46 pm

pb5754[] wrote:the mineral list includes crystal (quartz variety), i searched online and found nothing and i checked a field guide and found nothing again. can someone plz help. i do not understand what they mean by crystal.

plz help i have states in two days... :?


Crystal quartz is essentially the normal clear form with no impurities.
i like the four piece chicken strips, with waffle fries and a cookies and cream milkshake at chick-fil-a.

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » March 6th, 2017, 3:41 am

chick-fil-a for life wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:the mineral list includes crystal (quartz variety), i searched online and found nothing and i checked a field guide and found nothing again. can someone plz help. i do not understand what they mean by crystal.

plz help i have states in two days... :?


Crystal quartz is essentially the normal clear form with no impurities.


thanks a lot!!! :) :) :) :)

nicksalanitri
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby nicksalanitri » March 6th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I was just wondering how people in the rest of the country are doing with rocks? What are some of scores you all have been getting? I got a 123.5/127 on the regional and I want to know how that compares.
Ward Melville 2018-2019 + DMAH Coach 2019

LISO/MIT/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats

Forensics:7/11/2/7/2/-/
Fossils:4/4/5/1/1/-/
Geologic Mapping:8/3/23/3/25/-/

nicksalanitri
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby nicksalanitri » March 6th, 2017, 6:57 pm

-Groundhog- wrote:First time doing this event. About how much of the information should you be able to know off the top of your head?

How to identify everything on the list and a little about them. Also understand basic earth science level concepts about rocks and minerals. The rest you can have in your binder or continue to memorize. Good luck!
Ward Melville 2018-2019 + DMAH Coach 2019

LISO/MIT/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats

Forensics:7/11/2/7/2/-/
Fossils:4/4/5/1/1/-/
Geologic Mapping:8/3/23/3/25/-/

driedmango
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: April 10th, 2016, 6:07 am
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby driedmango » March 6th, 2017, 7:14 pm

nicksalanitri wrote:I was just wondering how people in the rest of the country are doing with rocks? What are some of scores you all have been getting? I got a 123.5/127 on the regional and I want to know how that compares.

What region are you from? That score is insanely good. I hardly ever get over 60 or 70% on tests at invitationals.
WE DID IT
2017/18 events
Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!!
Remote: - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
Rocks: 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
Thermo: 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
Team: 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |

AlbatrossTree
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: March 7th, 2017, 7:12 am
State: -

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby AlbatrossTree » March 7th, 2017, 7:16 am

Scores like that seem to be relatively common at Ohio invites

nicksalanitri
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby nicksalanitri » March 7th, 2017, 7:24 pm

driedmango wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:I was just wondering how people in the rest of the country are doing with rocks? What are some of scores you all have been getting? I got a 123.5/127 on the regional and I want to know how that compares.

What region are you from? That score is insanely good. I hardly ever get over 60 or 70% on tests at invitationals.



Eastern Long Island, school is Gelinas, would you want some help?
Ward Melville 2018-2019 + DMAH Coach 2019

LISO/MIT/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats

Forensics:7/11/2/7/2/-/
Fossils:4/4/5/1/1/-/
Geologic Mapping:8/3/23/3/25/-/

nicksalanitri
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby nicksalanitri » March 7th, 2017, 7:26 pm

AlbatrossTree wrote:Scores like that seem to be relatively common at Ohio invites


Lol, Solon, Memorial and Magsig are pretty good at everything, those ohio tournaments are close to national level competition I heard.
Ward Melville 2018-2019 + DMAH Coach 2019

LISO/MIT/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats

Forensics:7/11/2/7/2/-/
Fossils:4/4/5/1/1/-/
Geologic Mapping:8/3/23/3/25/-/

AlbatrossTree
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: March 7th, 2017, 7:12 am
State: -

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby AlbatrossTree » March 8th, 2017, 9:49 am

nicksalanitri wrote:
AlbatrossTree wrote:Scores like that seem to be relatively common at Ohio invites


Lol, Solon, Memorial and Magsig are pretty good at everything, those ohio tournaments are close to national level competition I heard.


As far as I could tell by looking at the WLS invitational raw scores it is mostly Mentor and Solon.

1st. Mentor 136 points
2nd. Solon 132 points
3rd. Centerville 108.5 points

That is a very large gap between the 2nd and 3rd. I do not know the total points on the test although I would believe it to be around 140-150 points.

AlbatrossTree
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: March 7th, 2017, 7:12 am
State: -

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby AlbatrossTree » March 8th, 2017, 9:51 am

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Clematis wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Thanks, but what are the minerals that make up Bauxite?


The sources I've used say that there are a couple (pretty sure it's 3) minerals that are too hard to distinguish unless you know the chemical composition. They are collectively known as Bauxite. I don't know the names of them off the top of my head, though, sorry.

Thanks though


This is a common test question. Bauxite is a mineral group composed of Gibbsite, Boehmite, and Diaspore.

nicksalanitri
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby nicksalanitri » March 8th, 2017, 3:49 pm

AlbatrossTree wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:
AlbatrossTree wrote:Scores like that seem to be relatively common at Ohio invites


Lol, Solon, Memorial and Magsig are pretty good at everything, those ohio tournaments are close to national level competition I heard.


As far as I could tell by looking at the WLS invitational raw scores it is mostly Mentor and Solon.

1st. Mentor 136 points
2nd. Solon 132 points
3rd. Centerville 108.5 points

That is a very large gap between the 2nd and 3rd. I do not know the total points on the test although I would believe it to be around 140-150 points.



Do you have a link to the test so I could possibly take it?
Ward Melville 2018-2019 + DMAH Coach 2019

LISO/MIT/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats

Forensics:7/11/2/7/2/-/
Fossils:4/4/5/1/1/-/
Geologic Mapping:8/3/23/3/25/-/


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest