bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Meteorology B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
MysterySkye04
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by MysterySkye04 »

So, what specifically do we need to know for Severe Storms? I haven't gotten the rule book, and I don't know when our school's starting the practices. I want to start right away.
Events 2017-2018
Meterology ~ Ecology
Potions and Poisons ~ Wright Stuff
~Solar System~
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

MysterySkye04 wrote:So, what specifically do we need to know for Severe Storms? I haven't gotten the rule book, and I don't know when our school's starting the practices. I want to start right away.
Know basic meteorological concepts. If you did Everyday Weather last year, you should have these down pretty well already. Know the types, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures of thunderstorms. Types of lightning and its cause. Tornadoes, their development, characteristics, hazards/safety procedures. Types of precipitation and their formation. Tropical cyclones, their formation, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Mid-latitude cyclones, their development, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Be able to analyze and interpret weather maps and other data, including satellite imagery, Doppler radar, etc.

Hopefully this will be enough until you can get your hands on the rules.
MysterySkye04

Post by MysterySkye04 »

John Richardsim wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:So, what specifically do we need to know for Severe Storms? I haven't gotten the rule book, and I don't know when our school's starting the practices. I want to start right away.
Know basic meteorological concepts. If you did Everyday Weather last year, you should have these down pretty well already. Know the types, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures of thunderstorms. Types of lightning and its cause. Tornadoes, their development, characteristics, hazards/safety procedures. Types of precipitation and their formation. Tropical cyclones, their formation, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Mid-latitude cyclones, their development, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Be able to analyze and interpret weather maps and other data, including satellite imagery, Doppler radar, etc.

Hopefully this will be enough until you can get your hands on the rules.
Thank you so much!
I did do Everyday Weather, but I didn't do much. In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
Again, Thanks!
Events 2017-2018
Meterology ~ Ecology
~Solar System~
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

MysterySkye04 wrote: In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
MysterySkye04

Post by MysterySkye04 »

John Richardsim wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote: In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
Events 2017-2018
Meterology ~ Ecology
~Solar System~
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C

Post by NeilMehta »

MysterySkye04 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
*Hey look another division B NY person hiya*
if you took earth science in school you probably remember the reference tables
do u know if were allowed to use them in our notes for rocks/minerals or meteo
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

NeilMehta wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
The rules usually say "in any form from any source" so I assume the regents reference tables would be allowed. I used information from them in Geomaps last year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C

Post by NeilMehta »

Unome wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote: Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
The rules usually say "in any form from any source" so I assume the regents reference tables would be allowed. I used information from them in Geomaps last year.
thanks!
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
MysterySkye04

Post by MysterySkye04 »

NeilMehta wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
*Hi there, New Yorker. Where's your competition at?*
My school......is a little different and we haven't done anything with Meteorology or reference tables.
Events 2017-2018
Meterology ~ Ecology
~Solar System~

Return to “2017 Study Events”