Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by NeilMehta »

MrHaleStorm1 wrote:what is the most challenging types of questions you have been confronted with this year at invitationals/regional?
We had some tricky questions on CAPE/instability which we really messed up... oops
We also had some questions on the times of year in which certain storms/phenomena were most like to occur

However, the hardest question was probably the tiebreaker:
"What did M. Albert Stiger use in his attempts to suppress hail?"
..to which we answered "He used his words and wrote a letter to the hail asking it to stop"

We got third place in that competition... probably beat fourth place because we got the tiebreaker right :^)
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
SciHC101

Post by SciHC101 »

What font type, and size do you suggest for notes?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SciHC101 wrote:What font type, and size do you suggest for notes?
Arial Narrow. Size 5 is sufficient for most applications (and should be enough for Meteorology for all but the very top national competitors), but it can go as low as size 2.5 while still being readable on most inkjets (though I rarely go below 4, and only went to 3 for Microbes). Definitely test your own printer's font size resolution though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

SciHC101 wrote:What font type, and size do you suggest for notes?
for margins i almost always go .2" and for font i use arial narrow
size is usually 6 for me, and i personally wouldn't go under 5 unless you really know where to find anything on your notes

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Note sheet configurations often depend on personal preference. I preferred to avoid having my text smaller than size 6 (7 if possible), just because I felt that past that point, I was spending too much energy trying to locate/see information. Often this meant deleting pieces of information I didn't really need, if I was 95% sure I would remember it the day of. However, if you're fine with looking for smaller text, then you can by all means make use of that technique.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
ReBobville
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Note sheet configurations often depend on personal preference. I preferred to avoid having my text smaller than size 6 (7 if possible), just because I felt that past that point, I was spending too much energy trying to locate/see information. Often this meant deleting pieces of information I didn't really need, if I was 95% sure I would remember it the day of. However, if you're fine with looking for smaller text, then you can by all means make use of that technique.

Completely agree with this. Personally I never competed with a true "Science Olympiad" note sheet of which I'm imagining something with almost all text with a font size of 5 or less because I felt like I wouldn't be able to locate information fast enough. For Meteorology, I always liked my note sheets to be heavy on graphics/charts. I felt that they always contained alot of information for their size, and were easy to use come competition day. However if you're not sure, try a few different designs with some practice tests, and run them by your partner to see what he/she works best with. You don't want to start competing only to have your partner scanning through a note sheet unsure of where to find anything! :P
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

ReBobville wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Note sheet configurations often depend on personal preference. I preferred to avoid having my text smaller than size 6 (7 if possible), just because I felt that past that point, I was spending too much energy trying to locate/see information. Often this meant deleting pieces of information I didn't really need, if I was 95% sure I would remember it the day of. However, if you're fine with looking for smaller text, then you can by all means make use of that technique.

Completely agree with this. Personally I never competed with a true "Science Olympiad" note sheet of which I'm imagining something with almost all text with a font size of 5 or less because I felt like I wouldn't be able to locate information fast enough. For Meteorology, I always liked my note sheets to be heavy on graphics/charts. I felt that they always contained alot of information for their size, and were easy to use come competition day. However if you're not sure, try a few different designs with some practice tests, and run them by your partner to see what he/she works best with. You don't want to start competing only to have your partner scanning through a note sheet unsure of where to find anything! :P
I can second this. Charts and pictures are extremely helpful, especially in meteorology where it's so important to know the structure of an anvil cloud, hurricane, etc

Return to “2017 Study Events”