Page 1 of 6

Meteorology B

Posted: June 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm
by bernard

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 7th, 2016, 5:19 pm
by MysterySkye04
So, what specifically do we need to know for Severe Storms? I haven't gotten the rule book, and I don't know when our school's starting the practices. I want to start right away.

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 7th, 2016, 6:06 pm
by John Richardsim
MysterySkye04 wrote:So, what specifically do we need to know for Severe Storms? I haven't gotten the rule book, and I don't know when our school's starting the practices. I want to start right away.
Know basic meteorological concepts. If you did Everyday Weather last year, you should have these down pretty well already. Know the types, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures of thunderstorms. Types of lightning and its cause. Tornadoes, their development, characteristics, hazards/safety procedures. Types of precipitation and their formation. Tropical cyclones, their formation, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Mid-latitude cyclones, their development, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Be able to analyze and interpret weather maps and other data, including satellite imagery, Doppler radar, etc.

Hopefully this will be enough until you can get your hands on the rules.

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 7th, 2016, 6:40 pm
by MysterySkye04
John Richardsim wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:So, what specifically do we need to know for Severe Storms? I haven't gotten the rule book, and I don't know when our school's starting the practices. I want to start right away.
Know basic meteorological concepts. If you did Everyday Weather last year, you should have these down pretty well already. Know the types, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures of thunderstorms. Types of lightning and its cause. Tornadoes, their development, characteristics, hazards/safety procedures. Types of precipitation and their formation. Tropical cyclones, their formation, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Mid-latitude cyclones, their development, characteristics, and hazards/safety procedures. Be able to analyze and interpret weather maps and other data, including satellite imagery, Doppler radar, etc.

Hopefully this will be enough until you can get your hands on the rules.
Thank you so much!
I did do Everyday Weather, but I didn't do much. In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
Again, Thanks!

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 9th, 2016, 8:39 am
by John Richardsim
MysterySkye04 wrote: In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 9th, 2016, 9:14 am
by MysterySkye04
John Richardsim wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote: In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 14th, 2016, 3:37 pm
by NeilMehta
MysterySkye04 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote: In this thread, are we going to be able to discuss Severe Storms? I feel it would be helpful, but I'm not sure if this thread is meant for giving each other questions.
I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
*Hey look another division B NY person hiya*
if you took earth science in school you probably remember the reference tables
do u know if were allowed to use them in our notes for rocks/minerals or meteo

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 14th, 2016, 3:40 pm
by Unome
NeilMehta wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
*Hey look another division B NY person hiya*
if you took earth science in school you probably remember the reference tables
do u know if were allowed to use them in our notes for rocks/minerals or meteo
The rules usually say "in any form from any source" so I assume the regents reference tables would be allowed. I used information from them in Geomaps last year.

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 14th, 2016, 3:53 pm
by NeilMehta
Unome wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote: Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
*Hey look another division B NY person hiya*
if you took earth science in school you probably remember the reference tables
do u know if were allowed to use them in our notes for rocks/minerals or meteo
The rules usually say "in any form from any source" so I assume the regents reference tables would be allowed. I used information from them in Geomaps last year.
thanks!

Re: Meteorology B

Posted: September 14th, 2016, 4:08 pm
by MysterySkye04
NeilMehta wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I don't see why not. I know one of my biggest regrets from when I did severe storms is that I didn't start studying earlier, as I missed the Atlantic hurricane season and the greater part of the tornado season.
Thank goodness. My mom really wants me to get a medal in Meterology, seeing how I got 9th all by myself.
*Hey look another division B NY person hiya*
if you took earth science in school you probably remember the reference tables
do u know if were allowed to use them in our notes for rocks/minerals or meteo
*Hi there, New Yorker. Where's your competition at?*
My school......is a little different and we haven't done anything with Meteorology or reference tables.