bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Reach for the Stars B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
-Groundhog-
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by -Groundhog- »

How do you tell the difference between the Ring Nebula and the Helix Nebula just by looking at them?
MaeleeB
State: CA

Post by MaeleeB »

I imagine the Helix Nebula as an eye, and it's more of a combination of pink and red around the outside, and the Ring Nebula is more of a combination of orange and red around the outside.
-Groundhog-

Post by -Groundhog- »

Thanks!
Ktalreja05

Memorizing constellations and DSOs

Post by Ktalreja05 »

Does anyone know an efficient way to memorize DSOs and constellations? I've tried flashcards and looking at a star chart, but neither worked. I'm not able to identify constellations and their major stars and DSOs by looking at them. Another problem is that in the practice tests I've seen, the constellation lines aren't connected together, making it even harder for me. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm fairly new to Science Olympiad. Any help is appreciated :D
Adi1008
State: CA

Re: Memorizing constellations and DSOs

Post by Adi1008 »

Ktalreja05 wrote:Does anyone know an efficient way to memorize DSOs and constellations? I've tried flashcards and looking at a star chart, but neither worked. I'm not able to identify constellations and their major stars and DSOs by looking at them. Another problem is that in the practice tests I've seen, the constellation lines aren't connected together, making it even harder for me. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm fairly new to Science Olympiad. Any help is appreciated :D
You could try anki/quizlet (it's what I use for Astronomy) for memorizing pictures. Alternatively, you could just put those pictures on your notes so you don't even have to memorize them
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

For me, memorizing constellations and stars was always a matter of seeing patterns. There are a couple constellations that are pretty easy to find (Orion, Ursa Major, Cassiopeia), so I would use these as benchmarks. Then, I would find other constellations using these benchmarks. For example, say we start with Orion. If you follow the belt of Orion, and go up and to the right, you end up at the Hyades, which is the main component of Taurus. Then you can take the upper horn of this and follow it to Auriga, which is next to Gemini and Perseus, etc etc.

And then in terms of stars, it's a matter of associating certain stars with certain constellations. If it would help, you can make flashcards with constellations on one side and stars on the other (Bootes;Arcturus, Scorpio;Antares, etc).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
-Groundhog-

Post by -Groundhog- »

I also use Quizlet.
As for recognizing constellations not connected, don't worry about that part yet. It comes with more practice. Once you get them memorized with the lines, it's much easier.
"The only people you should get even with are those who have helped you."

2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals, Write It Do It

2016: Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Picture This, Reach for the Stars
RiceGum
State: MN

Post by RiceGum »

I am starting a class for astronomy at a school in Minnesota. Can anyone send any information on Reach for the Stars. It would be very helpful. Can you send it to [email protected]?
Rohan_sfms

Post by Rohan_sfms »

can we use a calculator in the competition

Return to “2017 Study Events”