Reach for the Stars B

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by Unome »

Rohan_sfms wrote:can we use a calculator in the competition
This question can be easily answered by reading the rules. If you do not have a copy of the rules, either contact your coach (they should have received one upon registering the team with the state) or purchase your own copy (either physical or via the mobile app)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Hessling26
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Hessling26 »

I'm new to reach for the stars. What should I focus on or expect?
Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Hessling26 wrote:I'm new to reach for the stars. What should I focus on or expect?
In last year's test I got a lot of questions similar to "How far away in light years is this star/constellation/deep space object?" So studying that is probably important.
Also, know your constellations and nebulas. The list in the rules lists everything you need to know. Practice identifying constellations just by seeing a patch of stars that they are in, and identifying photos of nebulas and other deep space objects. I think those questions are really rewarding when you get them right. :)

Good luck!
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
TyRy04

Post by TyRy04 »

I am new to reach for the stars and I was wondering if you guys know a good place to start or any good links and resources
JustWell50

Post by JustWell50 »

Here are two links to memorize the constellations:
https://quizlet.com/187687462/constella ... ash-cards/
https://quizlet.com/188412876/constella ... ash-cards/

I will also be making some for nebulae
Girlpower05
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

Which websites are good for getting the images of DSOs. There are so many different images at each wavelength.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Girlpower05 wrote:Which websites are good for getting the images of DSOs. There are so many different images at each wavelength.
If Stars is still 2 sheets, you should have enough space to fit 5-10 images for each of them with efficient use of space and still have a full sheet left. Try going through the stuff on Goggle Images and get a good range of images (various wavelengths, etc); you won't be able to get all of the images on an object (as several of the Stars DSOs are well-studied with lots of data), but you should be able to get enough without too much effort needed for space management. Make sure to caption your images with so quick info (e.g. instrument/telescope, wavelength, special features).

Warning: when pasting images onto your sheet, use a smaller original image size - in the range of 300 pixels each way - else the file will start to lag at a hundred or so (personal experience with my 16 MB notesheet from Solar System 2 years ago). Since the pics will be small anyway, you won't need super high resolution.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TJ_Jadem

Post by TJ_Jadem »

What did the rules say? :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
k1213693
Division: B

Post by k1213693 »

Unome wrote:
Girlpower05 wrote:Which websites are good for getting the images of DSOs. There are so many different images at each wavelength.
If Stars is still 2 sheets, you should have enough space to fit 5-10 images for each of them with efficient use of space and still have a full sheet left. Try going through the stuff on Goggle Images and get a good range of images (various wavelengths, etc); you won't be able to get all of the images on an object (as several of the Stars DSOs are well-studied with lots of data), but you should be able to get enough without too much effort needed for space management. Make sure to caption your images with so quick info (e.g. instrument/telescope, wavelength, special features).

Warning: when pasting images onto your sheet, use a smaller original image size - in the range of 300 pixels each way - else the file will start to lag at a hundred or so (personal experience with my 16 MB notesheet from Solar System 2 years ago). Since the pics will be small anyway, you won't need super high resolution.
I like to use Snipping Tool to take a snip of multiple images off of google images so that it's just one image.
Graduated
ReBobville
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

When I competed I would typically dedicate one note sheet just to DSO images. Wikipedia is a good place to start but also dig through NASA databases, and telescope sites (Chandra, etc.).
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019

Return to “2017 Study Events”