Road Scholar B

BasuSiddha23
Division: Grad
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

For azimuths and bearings, should the magnetic declination be added/subtracted to the original degree measure?
For example, from the gravel pit to the top of the mountain, the azimuth is 236 degrees. If the magnetic declination is 10 degrees, should that value be added to the value or subtracted to the value or not even be included?
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

Ok I'm going to say this as a warning for any states that haven't happened. Some places are taking this "rule change" close to heart. There might be profiling. At my state they only had like 10 questions out of 30 on topos, none on state highway. And instead of full sized maps they were printed on a 8 1/2 x 11 paper and had bezels, making it impossible to read anything. The first 20 questions were all on the terms listed in the rules, but they went really specific so be warned.
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:For azimuths and bearings, should the magnetic declination be added/subtracted to the original degree measure?
For example, from the gravel pit to the top of the mountain, the azimuth is 236 degrees. If the magnetic declination is 10 degrees, should that value be added to the value or subtracted to the value or not even be included?
I've never done it since it seems like those questions always refer only to the topo map, not the actual world, but it would be a good idea to ask your event supervisor(s) :D .
maps
Has thanked: 0

Answer Key for Grinch?

Post by maps »

Hi there,

Does anyone have an answer key for the 2008 National Road Scholar Competition (How the Grinch Aced Road Scholar)?

Thank you!
Fanglin

Re: Answer Key for Grinch?

Post by Fanglin »

maps wrote:Hi there,

Does anyone have an answer key for the 2008 National Road Scholar Competition (How the Grinch Aced Road Scholar)?

Thank you!
I may or may not have one :D
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Answer Key for Grinch?

Post by NeilMehta »

Fanglin wrote:
maps wrote:Hi there,

Thank you!
I may or may not have one :D
I'll check I might have one lying around and it certainly sounds familiar
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

Hi,
Not related to road scholar.
Is there any online coaching in summer for science oympaid coaches? When do we know the topics for fall(2017-18)?
Thanks
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi,
Not related to road scholar.
Is there any online coaching in summer for science oympaid coaches? When do we know the topics for fall(2017-18)?
There are several clinics and such over the summer. The most notable (that I can think of) would be the 5-day Science Olympiad Summer Institute in Arizona, and the 1-day clinic in SoCal (I can't find a link). The most recent event list for next year can be found here. Technically they're not final until the rules go to print in mid to late August, but they're generally unlikely to change much (really the only event that I can see them changing would be putting in something else instead of Mystery Architecture). Usually the majority of the events can be predicted for seasons several years in advance, with some rotations that are less certain (for example, the two rotating spots in Inquiry are rarely predictable more than one year in advance).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
snorrio
Division: B

Post by snorrio »

Since I´m done with scioly for this year, and road scholar isn´t in high school, I'd like to share my practice test for state-highways. It's really easy, and you probably won't go through the trouble of buying a map, so you can just answer with how you would answer the question.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L2bem ... a7cBaYfyDE
Kraemer/Regionals/State

Diseases- 14/1/?

Roads- 22/2/?
Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

snorrio wrote:Since I´m done with scioly for this year, and road scholar isn´t in high school, I'd like to share my practice test for state-highways. It's really easy, and you probably won't go through the trouble of buying a map, so you can just answer with how you would answer the question.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L2bem ... a7cBaYfyDE
Thanks for the resource! It's a shame Road Scholar isn't a devision C event. I may even use this next year as a coaching tool! Thanks again, and enjoy your time off.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

Return to “2017 Study Events”