EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I have not looked at the test; however, it is highly unlikely that there will be a "package" of maps for an existing practice test; you will probably have to find the individual maps on your own. Usually, people running the event won't use more than two or three maps, so there shouldn't be too many to look for.

Keep in mind that for the actual competition, participants do not have to bring their own maps; event supervisors will supply all maps, and they can choose maps from any location (within the United States, usually).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Pond2016
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pond2016 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I have not looked at the test; however, it is highly unlikely that there will be a "package" of maps for an existing practice test; you will probably have to find the individual maps on your own. Usually, people running the event won't use more than two or three maps, so there shouldn't be too many to look for.

Keep in mind that for the actual competition, participants do not have to bring their own maps; event supervisors will supply all maps, and they can choose maps from any location (within the United States, usually).
I wanted that map so that I can have the kids practice that test. Thank you very much again.
Grid notation I mean on the side it had numbers vertically and letters horizontal. Example the first question in this test is "what the grid location of Levis stadium?" And the answer is "F-18". The map I found online was good but these notation was not available.
How are you making b the kids practice without an associated map for these tests .

Thanks
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

You will have to order the physical map. If you're using online PDFs of the maps, you're not likely to find all the information you will need.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
RE02

Post by RE02 »

Okay so I have a question............
Can they test us using satellite maps, such as from google maps? Or is it only quadrangles, highway maps, and state maps?
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

So, I'll be writing a test for the first time for Road Scholar, and having never written one before (have proctored however), is it typical for USGS Topo maps to be printed with the PLSS sections already numbered? There seems to be a PLSS layer on the PDFs that you can toggle on and off on the topo maps you can download from the USGS, and I didn't know if it was typical to print that layer when printing the maps for tests.

Edit:
Also while I'm asking, are there any good sources for understanding PLSS?
Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

haverstall wrote:So, I'll be writing a test for the first time for Road Scholar, and having never written one before (have proctored however), is it typical for USGS Topo maps to be printed with the PLSS sections already numbered? There seems to be a PLSS layer on the PDFs that you can toggle on and off on the topo maps you can download from the USGS, and I didn't know if it was typical to print that layer when printing the maps for tests.

Edit:
Also while I'm asking, are there any good sources for understanding PLSS?

On most maps, the Sections are numbered, there are some exceptions: Colonial states don't use PLSS (any states that existed while Jefferson was president, because he issued PLSS to divide up acquired territories to provide efficient land usage, and population), so none of the 13 colonies, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maine, and West Virginia. If you are using a map from these states, then PLSS is out of the question.

I've never actually downloaded maps from USGS so the layering is new to me, but I'de turn PLSS on, because it's a big part of Road Scholar.

Here is a Manual that provides a decent coverage of the entirety of Road Scholar, including PLSS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzydf8 ... =drive_web
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Pond2016

Re: Road Scholar B-Contour interval graph

Post by Pond2016 »

Apologize for replying to this post for a different topic- i could not figure out how to post new topic .

Recently we attended Bayard Rustin Invitationals and we came across "Contour Interval graph".
the question is some thing like -"Create contour interval graph so that Santa knows if it is safe for his reindeer to walk in that area.

Could some one please help me with this. Could not find this topic in coaches manual.

Thanks,
syedthasan

Do any people have these tests?

Post by syedthasan »

Hi, I am doing road scholar and I have a limited amount of maps.

I wanted to know if anyone had any of these tests;
Buffalo/ Rochester/ Niagara Falls in New York
Louisiana, Mississippi
Oregon, Washington
Nevada, Utah
Delaware

Thank Youuuuuu :D :) 8-)
syedthasan

What to take...

Post by syedthasan »

Hi,
I need a little rules manual clarification:
I was wondering whether or not I can bring magnifying glasses to the competition or not.
Thank You!!!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

syedthasan wrote:Hi,
I need a little rules manual clarification:
I was wondering whether or not I can bring magnifying glasses to the competition or not.
Thank You!!!
disclaimer

A quick reading of the rules for Road Scholar (which I haven't looked at in a few years) shows them to be quite vague with regard to paper reference materials. For example, it says "notes, reference materials" rather than something specific like "one three ring binder (any size) containing pages of information in any form from any source" (Rocks and Minerals) or "one 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper that may contain information in any form from any source" (Microbe Mission). If someone else who knows Road Scholar well could clarify this, that would be helpful (though this is not specifically relevant to your question).

See General Rule 1, but note that event supervisors rarely take a literal interpretation of this rule; its primary use is to allow for unorthodox methods of completing a task for a build event (example) or to allow things like erasers for study and lab events.

I would recommend against attempting to bring a magnifying glass on the basis that there are some event supervisors that would disqualify a team for even attempting to bring something not allowed, even in violation of General Rule 5 (this actually happened last year at the Georgia state tournament, when a large number of teams were tiered in Geomaps for having an type of calculator violating the rules).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Study Events”