Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by NeilMehta »

Science37 wrote:I'm wondering if there is usually a specific location on a highway map that you can find that shows when the map was made. Also, does anyone know how to calculate the distance between 2 places on the highway map using the roads with the mileage number next to it?
I'm not sure if you mean the Driving Distances section on maps or the distances on the actual roads.
On the actual roads, the numbers between roads give the distance between the two points indicated with black diamond shapes
On the driving distances map, the distances and average times are given between most major towns in the state
I don't remember anything about a place that shows where the map was made, but I might just be missing it
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
snorrio
Division: B
State: CA

Post by snorrio »

Science37 wrote:I'm wondering if there is usually a specific location on a highway map that you can find that shows when the map was made. Also, does anyone know how to calculate the distance between 2 places on the highway map using the roads with the mileage number next to it?
Usually on the bottom of the legend you can see what year the map was made. Other than that, refold the map and look at the backside, it has the information.

As for computing distances, (AAA) two flags/points will be marked between two points, usually exits, and in the middle should show a number which indicates how many miles the stretch is. It should be similar on a Rand McNally map.

If you want distance between two cities, I know Rand McNally maps have a chart and a map that show mileage (may only be on newer maps). I don't think AAA maps have mileage charts.
Kraemer/Regionals/State

Diseases- 14/1/?

Roads- 22/2/?
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

snorrio wrote:
Science37 wrote:If you want distance between two cities, I know Rand McNally maps have a chart and a map that show mileage (may only be on newer maps). I don't think AAA maps have mileage charts.
From what I remember AAA maps do have a mileage map

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
syedthasan

Post by syedthasan »

Hello Everyone!

To all that went to the Blue Dragon Invitational and were in Road Scholar:
We were supposed to take a box with us, and based on my knowledge, we can bring everything according to the PDF. At the Invy, the test coordinator said that we were required to bring the Nevada, Utah map with us. Where does it say that, or where can I find where it says that? Does it ever change?

Thank You!
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

syedthasan wrote:Hello Everyone!

To all that went to the Blue Dragon Invitational and were in Road Scholar:
We were supposed to take a box with us, and based on my knowledge, we can bring everything according to the PDF. At the Invy, the test coordinator said that we were required to bring the Nevada, Utah map with us. Where does it say that, or where can I find where it says that? Does it ever change?

Thank You!
Yeah, this year was Nevada/Utah, but it doesn't say anything about that on the competition site. The map is usually announced to coaches before the event, from what I remember. Make sure to check with your coach a few weeks before the invy so you can get the name of the map, or an extra copy if they have one.
Unfortunately, our school has only competed in Blue Dragon for two years, so I'm not sure if the map changes.

pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

anyone know why "graticule intersections" are bolded in the rules manual :?:
thx
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

pb5754[] wrote:anyone know why "graticule intersections" are bolded in the rules manual :?:
thx
Bolded text in the rules manual refers to changes from the previous year/the most recent year that the event/topic was held. Graticule intersections were probably added this year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

Unome wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:anyone know why "graticule intersections" are bolded in the rules manual :?:
thx
Bolded text in the rules manual refers to changes from the previous year/the most recent year that the event/topic was held. Graticule intersections were probably added this year.
I would have to differ, what you mean by graticule intersections, is the 4 crosses on the topo which divide it up into the 9 sectors based on 2.5 minutes? If so, then it has always been a part of road scholar. Perhaps bolded text indicates that it will be introduced at the State/National level? Otherwise I don't know what it would be used for.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

Fanglin wrote:
Unome wrote:
thx
I would have to differ, what you mean by graticule intersections, is the 4 crosses on the topo which divide it up into the 9 sectors based on 2.5 minutes? If so, then it has always been a part of road scholar. Perhaps bolded text indicates that it will be introduced at the State/National level? Otherwise I don't know what it would be used for.
oh ok thx :)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

What are the different types of benchmarks?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1

Return to “2017 Study Events”