bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Road Scholar B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by freed2003 »

Does anyone know any trig tricks for gradients or azimuths.
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
soyuppy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by soyuppy »

freed2003 wrote:Does anyone know any trig tricks for gradients or azimuths.
There are 2 types of gradients
- Road gradient = Change in elevation / Distance * 100 ft
- Stream gradient = Change in elevation / Distance * 1000ft

Azimuth is a heading direction between 2 points in 360 degree starting from True north. Normally a protractor can be used to measure the heading. But if you want to get fancy, you can buy the military azimuth protractor where you can use to measure the heading angle., something like this on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RM-PRODUCTS-RM- ... SwP~tW3Dk3
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

By trig I meant trigonometry, I assume the tan function could be useful
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

freed2003 wrote:By trig I meant trigonometry, I assume the tan function could be useful
Yes for Gradients, (Depending on what values are given e.g: straight line distance, land distance, hight difference)

Trig is not so helpful for azimuth
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

what about arctan?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

It's been a while since I've competed in Road Scholar, but I'm not sure how much extra time you'd be saving by using trig to calculate azimuths or gradients. With gradients, you will still have to measure the distance between the two points, unless the question gives you the angle, and due to the small angle approximation, the angle becomes the gradient regardless.

Azimuths are probably more suited for trig, if you measure the coordinates using UTM, and then take . However, since the arctan function is limited in range, you'll have to add 180 degrees if the azimuth direction is to the southeast/southwest, or 360 degrees if it's to the northwest. Personally, I feel like using one of these bad boys is easier: (image from amazon)

Trig is a really useful thing to use. However, test-makers will be making the tests knowing that most competitors will probably not know trig. Also (for azimuths especially), using the conventional method likely leads to a fuller understanding of what you're actually calculating, so for anyone else who's reading this, I would recommend not trying to use a trig shortcut unless you're already very comfortable and familiar with the concepts behind it. Of course, it's possible there's an easier method to use trig than either of those I've put here, and as long as the method gets you the answer, there's no harm done. I just don't recommend this to other people who may not be as experienced in the event.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: Trig is a really useful thing to use. However, test-makers will be making the tests knowing that most competitors will probably not know trig. Also (for azimuths especially), using the conventional method likely leads to a fuller understanding of what you're actually calculating, so for anyone else who's reading this, I would recommend not trying to use a trig shortcut unless you're already very comfortable and familiar with the concepts behind it. Of course, it's possible there's an easier method to use trig than either of those I've put here, and as long as the method gets you the answer, there's no harm done. I just don't recommend this to other people who may not be as experienced in the event.
I total agree. This is div B events where most 6-9 graders HAVE NOT been exposed to trig yet. Keep in simple, just measure the distant and change in elevation, then multiply by either 100 or 1000 depending on whether it's road gradient or stream gradient
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

How do other people do practice tests? I can't seem to find the maps.
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

freed2003 wrote:How do other people do practice tests? I can't seem to find the maps.
You can download topo maps here: http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html Printing them at a high enough resolution to be useful may or may not be possible at your school, but I imagine Kinko's or Staples etc could do it. If your team participates in any invitationals, it's possible that you'll be allowed to take the map home. I was lucky enough to grab a handful of different maps at a coaches' conference last year which my students use to generate their own questions for their partners to quiz on.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “2017 Study Events”