Road Scholar B

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby SPP SciO » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 pm

I feel silly asking this question, but, I've done plenty of searching and can't find the answer:

On a topo map, how can you tell which direction a RIVER is flowing?

With streams, that's pretty straightforward - the contour lines will bend, and point upstream. Also, it's clear that water will flow from a higher elevation to a lower elevation, ultimately in the direction of the sea.

However, on some topo maps that we have for practice purposes, there are substantial rivers, and contour lines don't cross them. Looking at the elevations on either side of the river in all directions didn't yield any convincing clues. Am I missing something obvious, or is it just assumed that anyone using the map would have knowledge of which direction the large river flows?
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Erasmus Wembley
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:14 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Erasmus Wembley » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:07 am

freed2003 wrote:
Erasmus Wembley wrote:How are people dealing with the statement in the 2017 PowerPoint saying they are de-emphasizing the quadrangle maps and are going to use more satellite and free maps instead?

Where did you get the powerpoint?

Our school got the 2017 Biology-Earth Science CD. The 2017 Road Scholar Event Overview PowerPoint was on there. Here is what is said under the slide "RULE CHANGES FOR 2017":

Less emphasis on the use of full-size printed USGS topographic maps

More emphasis on the use of sectioned digital USGS topographic maps

More emphasis on the use of Internet-generated maps and images and satellite images

Minimal changes in the skill-sets needed by students


The reasoning was that the USGS stopped printing the full size maps and it was difficult for event organizers to get different quadrangle maps.

freed2003
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby freed2003 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 am

Wow that seems a bit unfair for the competitors, especially since there weren't any changes on the rule sheet.
Kraemer/Regionals/state
Microbe Mission 30/ /
Wright stuff 16/6/11
Dynamic planet 10/8/20(wot)
Road scholar 12/2/22(wot)
Wind power 31/1/4(wot)
Fast Facts 44//

User avatar
Fanglin
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Offline Probably
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Fanglin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:44 am

SPP SciO wrote:I feel silly asking this question, but, I've done plenty of searching and can't find the answer:

On a topo map, how can you tell which direction a RIVER is flowing?

With streams, that's pretty straightforward - the contour lines will bend, and point upstream. Also, it's clear that water will flow from a higher elevation to a lower elevation, ultimately in the direction of the sea.

However, on some topo maps that we have for practice purposes, there are substantial rivers, and contour lines don't cross them. Looking at the elevations on either side of the river in all directions didn't yield any convincing clues. Am I missing something obvious, or is it just assumed that anyone using the map would have knowledge of which direction the large river flows?

Usually if it's a pretty mainline river, There is a high possibility that there are mileage numbers along the river indicating how many miles away either the outlet or tributary is. So the river always flows the direction the mileage decreases. Also, sometimes rivers have little blue arrows in the middle to signify which direction it's flowing.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

freed2003
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby freed2003 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:45 am

does anyone have a sample of a satellite map question?
My friend told me it was essentially the same as a quadrangle but I want some confirmation.
Kraemer/Regionals/state
Microbe Mission 30/ /
Wright stuff 16/6/11
Dynamic planet 10/8/20(wot)
Road scholar 12/2/22(wot)
Wind power 31/1/4(wot)
Fast Facts 44//

User avatar
Fanglin
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Offline Probably
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Fanglin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 am

freed2003 wrote:does anyone have a sample of a satellite map question?
My friend told me it was essentially the same as a quadrangle but I want some confirmation.

I saw one where It showed you a google maps photo of a power plant. You had to count the amount of employees (assuming each one separatly drives to work), and you have to guess at what kind of power plant it was (Coal, hydroelectric, wind...)

I saw another one, where you had to judge the time of day, by the shadows of the masts of ships...
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

freed2003
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby freed2003 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:50 am

Fanglin wrote:
freed2003 wrote:does anyone have a sample of a satellite map question?
My friend told me it was essentially the same as a quadrangle but I want some confirmation.

I saw one where It showed you a google maps photo of a power plant. You had to count the amount of employees (assuming each one separatly drives to work), and you have to guess at what kind of power plant it was (Coal, hydroelectric, wind...)

I saw another one, where you had to judge the time of day, by the shadows of the masts of ships...

Where'd you get the questions from? With a change that big they should've put it in the rules
Kraemer/Regionals/state
Microbe Mission 30/ /
Wright stuff 16/6/11
Dynamic planet 10/8/20(wot)
Road scholar 12/2/22(wot)
Wind power 31/1/4(wot)
Fast Facts 44//

snorrio
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby snorrio » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi guys, how do you measure a bearing?
Kraemer/Regionals/State

Diseases- 14/1/?

Roads- 22/2/?

User avatar
Fanglin
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Offline Probably
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Fanglin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:40 am

snorrio wrote:Hi guys, how do you measure a bearing?

It's kinda like Azimuth in the sense that its 360˚ around, but it is labeled differently. Instead of having the entire circle, you either start north or south, measure yourself east or west.

If the angle is "southern heading" then you want to measure from the South (180˚) to the sides (270˚ and 90˚). If it's a "northern heading" you measure from North (0˚) and measure down to the same sides.

Once you have the North/south part done, you need to specify wether the heading is East or West, and at what angle.

Examples:
195˚ azimuth = S15˚W
56˚ azimuth = N56˚E
351˚ azimuth = N9˚W

and so on so forth

(note that you specify the north south east or west in the format above. N or S / angle up to 90˚ / W or E)

Hope this helps!
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

meteorology891
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:52 pm
Division: B
State: -
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby meteorology891 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:15 am

Sorry to change the topic, but when the rules sheets says notes, does that mean how ever many pages we want, or a certain amount of pages? :?:
:D

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3387
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Unome » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:03 am

meteorology891 wrote:Sorry to change the topic, but when the rules sheets says notes, does that mean how ever many pages we want, or a certain amount of pages? :?:

If I remember correctly, Road Scholar allows a binder (of any size); the earth science rules tend to be rather vague on this subject (as compared to, say, Invasives and otehr Bio events, which make it pretty clear).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

User avatar
NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby NeilMehta » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Unome wrote:
meteorology891 wrote:Sorry to change the topic, but when the rules sheets says notes, does that mean how ever many pages we want, or a certain amount of pages? :?:

If I remember correctly, Road Scholar allows a binder (of any size); the earth science rules tend to be rather vague on this subject (as compared to, say, Invasives and otehr Bio events, which make it pretty clear).

I was taking Earth Science when I had my tryouts for Road Scholar. It was the start of the year, and we had just finished topography maps in class .(convenient, huh?)
Realizing how underprepared I was (I only had with me a pencil, road map, and the USGS symbols), I brought my entire class Earth Science binder to the competition, and slipped the USGS booklet inside
That was fun
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

snorrio
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby snorrio » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:20 pm

How would you answer a question like, "How many airports (or anything, really) are on this map?"

(state highway)
Kraemer/Regionals/State

Diseases- 14/1/?

Roads- 22/2/?

snorrio
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby snorrio » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 pm

@Fanglin

Which map did you use for state highway on the Kraemer invitational? Thanks.
Kraemer/Regionals/State

Diseases- 14/1/?

Roads- 22/2/?

User avatar
Fanglin
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Offline Probably
Contact:

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Fanglin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 am

snorrio wrote:How would you answer a question like, "How many airports (or anything, really) are on this map?"

(state highway)

For airports specifically, you can look at the map Index, and usually it will list all airports that appear on the map, and their codes, however these airports listed are just a fraction of the amount of actually airports on the map.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest