Hovercraft B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by Zioly »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
Zioly wrote:
The units of impulse are N*s.
Sorry about that, but wouldn't it be N/s? Also, what unit is momentum in? I had a question on a test the other day and was uncertain... as you can tell, impulse and momentum are concepts I'm not as familiar with. :)
No, it's N*s. As you said, the unit of momentum is kg*m/s. Since Impulse is the change in momentum, it will have the same unit. A Newton is kg*m/s^2. Therefore, the unit for momentum is the Newton times a unit of time.
Oooohh, I didn't realize that a Newton is how much a kilo can be accelerated! Thanks for the tip!
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

Zioly wrote:
Zioly wrote: Sorry about that, but wouldn't it be N/s? Also, what unit is momentum in? I had a question on a test the other day and was uncertain... as you can tell, impulse and momentum are concepts I'm not as familiar with. :)
No, it's N*s. As you said, the unit of momentum is kg*m/s. Since Impulse is the change in momentum, it will have the same unit. A Newton is kg*m/s^2. Therefore, the unit for momentum is the Newton times a unit of time.
Oooohh, I didn't realize that a Newton is how much a kilo can be accelerated! Thanks for the tip!
Yup, right from F=ma
Zioly

Post by Zioly »

Sorry, I thought that since I got it wrong, someone else could have a go at the right answer and put up the next question.

You drop a ball from a 26 meter tall building on earth. Find the velocity when the ball hit the ground. Assume no air resistance and gravity as 9.81. Show all work.
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology

RestingDoll

Post by RestingDoll »

Zioly wrote:Sorry, I thought that since I got it wrong, someone else could have a go at the right answer and put up the next question.

You drop a ball from a 26 meter tall building on earth. Find the velocity when the ball hit the ground. Assume no air resistance and gravity as 9.81. Show all work.
v^2=vi^2+2a(delta_y)
v^2=0-2g(26)
v^2=510.12
v=22.5858 m --> v~23 m
Last edited by RestingDoll on March 13th, 2017, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RestingDoll

Post by RestingDoll »

Zioly wrote:Sorry, I thought that since I got it wrong, someone else could have a go at the right answer and put up the next question.

Wait lol how do I hide it. Edit: nvm, figured it out
Zioly

Post by Zioly »

RestingDoll wrote:

v^2=vi^2+2a(delta_y)
v^2=0-2g(26)
v^2=510.12
v=22.5858 m --> v~23 m
All correct, except for that one little misclick. (You typed "-" instead of "+" in line 2. Your go!)
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology

RestingDoll

Post by RestingDoll »

A small 60 g point mass starts sliding down a frictionless surface at 30 cm in height, then sticks to the end of a uniform rod of mass 120 g and length 40 cm. The rod rotates about a point "O" lengthwise and its moment of inertia about that point is given by 1/3 mr^2. After the point mass sticks to the rod, it pivots to an angle theta, before momentarily stopping. Find theta. (Hint: Don't forget that the potential energy stored after it pivots is based on the center of mass of the entire system.)
Tom_MS
Division: Grad

Post by Tom_MS »

RestingDoll wrote:A small 60 g point mass starts sliding down a frictionless surface at 30 cm in height, then sticks to the end of a uniform rod of mass 120 g and length 40 cm. The rod rotates about a point "O" lengthwise and its moment of inertia about that point is given by 1/3 mr^2. After the point mass sticks to the rod, it pivots to an angle theta, before momentarily stopping. Find theta. (Hint: Don't forget that the potential energy stored after it pivots is based on the center of mass of the entire system.)
75.5 degrees. If I'm correct, the 1/3mr^2 only matters to determine where the center of mass is.
RestingDoll

Post by RestingDoll »

Tom_MS wrote:
RestingDoll wrote:A small 60 g point mass starts sliding down a frictionless surface at 30 cm in height, then sticks to the end of a uniform rod of mass 120 g and length 40 cm. The rod rotates about a point "O" lengthwise and its moment of inertia about that point is given by 1/3 mr^2. After the point mass sticks to the rod, it pivots to an angle theta, before momentarily stopping. Find theta. (Hint: Don't forget that the potential energy stored after it pivots is based on the center of mass of the entire system.)
75.5 degrees. If I'm correct, the 1/3mr^2 only matters to determine where the center of mass is.
Interesting... I think you may be forgetting that the center of mass of the system is different than the center of mass of the rod.

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”