Ecology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by Zioly »

sciduck wrote:
Zioly wrote:
sciduck wrote:
is a symbiotic relationship in which one organism suffers from negative effects while the other is unaffected. I think antibiosis could be an example and another could be... humans accidentally stepping on insects?
I'm not sure, but is antibiosis the opposite of symbiosis? So wouldn't amensalism be a type of antibiosis? And yes, I guess the humans/insects example could work, but I'm not sure if that fits the criteria as a close ecological relationship.

Still, good answer. Your go. Clarifications for the above are appreciated as well.
According to google, antibiosis is "an antagonistic association between two organisms (especially microorganisms), in which one is adversely affected." So, yeah. I guess some antibiosis relationships would be amensalism, some not. The one I had in mind was [i]Penicillium[/i], which could probably grow w/ the presence of bacteria, but the penicillin it produces kills bacteria anyways. Bad for bacteria; eh for the fungus.
The human/insect one was just me guessing because I couldn't think of anything else. Do you have any more examples?
What affects species richness on an island?
The Penicillium example was good. Another one is black walnut trees, that secrete a natural weed killer for no apparent ecological reason.
Biodiversity on an endemic, or isolated, island/ecosystem is considered a branch of biogeology known as insular biogeology. It was first created in the 1960s by ecologists Robert H. MacArthur and E. O. Wilson. We now know that the biodiversity of an endemic ecosystem is influenced primarily by immigration, emigration, evolution, and extinction.

First, for an endemic ecosystem to be populated, species from a source with existing species, such as the mainland or other islands. Interactions between the source and the island are subject to distance decay, in which interactions decrease as distance increases.

Additionally, a larger island leads to higher biodiversity, as the increased number of microclimates allows for more possible paths of genetic drift and therefore evolution. Additionally, it lowers the chance of extinction. Additionally, the target effect makes it a more likely option for migrants, as they seek for a suitable habitat. Finally, the rescue effect also helps reduce rates of extinction, as species from the mainland can immigrate to larger islands to "rescue" dying populations. 

Eventually, all of these things culminate to a stable biodiversity.
I had this typed out, but I saved it as a draft in case someone else wanted to go... Here is the third opinion you asked for, sci duck, haha...
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

Alright, time to start this up again...

Define bottom-up control.

EDIT:

Forgot this was here
me-myself_i wrote:how do you calculate biomass?
In a population, take the average mass of an organism and multiply it by the population size. The biomass of a community is the sum of all of those of its encircled populations. The biomass of an ecosystem is equivalent to that of the community if their biotic ranges are identical.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
me-myself_i
Division: C
State: IN

Post by me-myself_i »

yup, your turn
2015(B)1st:Road Scholar(regional)
2016(B)1st:RoadScholar2nd:Crave the Wave3rd:Fossils,Reach for the Stars(regional)
2017(C)2nd:Write It Do It(regional)

Being happy about no Bloomington this year :D
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

I'll revive this...

What is the temperature anomaly, and what is it caused by?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
The48thYoshi
State: IL

Post by The48thYoshi »

Zioly wrote:
Define bottom-up control.
bottom up control is where the nutrient supply and primary producer productivity limit the populations of the species in higher trophic levels
aeshs ‘22
The48thYoshi
State: IL

Post by The48thYoshi »

Forgot to post question

What are the names of the two parts of lichen (not fungus and algae or fungus and bacteria)
aeshs ‘22
gavinnupp
State: OH

Post by gavinnupp »

The48thYoshi wrote:
What are the names of the two parts of lichen (not fungus and algae or fungus and bacteria)
Mycobiont and Photobiont (which can be cyanobiont or phycobiont)
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
allopathie
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by allopathie »

1. The study of how organisms in a particular area are influenced by factors such as climate, soils, predators, competitors, and evolutionary history is called ...
2. Models that predict location of species based on landscape and ecological factors are called ...
3. Most temperate tree taxa originated in ...
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
gavinnupp
State: OH

Post by gavinnupp »

allopathie wrote:1. The study of how organisms in a particular area are influenced by factors such as climate, soils, predators, competitors, and evolutionary history is called ...
2. Models that predict location of species based on landscape and ecological factors are called ...
1. Natural history
2. species distribution model
3. what are you asking here?
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
allopathie
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by allopathie »

gavinnupp wrote:
allopathie wrote:1. The study of how organisms in a particular area are influenced by factors such as climate, soils, predators, competitors, and evolutionary history is called ...
1. Natural history
2. species distribution model
3. what are you asking here?
Continent, but Asia (took these from the McGraw book).
Harriton '18, Penn '22.

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”