Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
bhavjain
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 7:30 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by bhavjain » November 2nd, 2016, 9:42 pm

Bump!

Differentiate between retrograde and anterograde amnesia. Which one is more common?
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)

Kon
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: October 15th, 2015, 5:58 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Kon » November 6th, 2016, 3:18 pm

bhavjain wrote:Bump!

Differentiate between retrograde and anterograde amnesia. Which one is more common?
Anterograde amnesia is more common is characterised by being unable to form memories after trauma and Retrograde amnesia is the opposite, being unable to recall memories before trauma

User avatar
bhavjain
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 7:30 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by bhavjain » November 6th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Kon wrote:
bhavjain wrote:Bump!

Differentiate between retrograde and anterograde amnesia. Which one is more common?
Anterograde amnesia is more common is characterised by being unable to form memories after trauma and Retrograde amnesia is the opposite, being unable to recall memories before trauma
Correct. Your turn.

rafaelnadal
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:55 am
Division: C
State: TX
Location: Studying to win this bet i made *facepalm*
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by rafaelnadal » November 21st, 2016, 9:08 am

Because this is dead, I'll pick it up. God knows I need the practice.

Describe alpha-gamma coactivation and the identify the roles of two neurons involved in it *i hope this is a hard one hehe :twisted: *

I doubt this will ever show up on a test tho..*except for mine :twisted: *

Kon
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: October 15th, 2015, 5:58 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Kon » November 28th, 2016, 8:23 pm

Alpha-gamma coactivation is when a muscle/extrafusal fibers contract when an [u]Alpha Motor Neuron[/u] tells it to, and the spindles/intrafusal fibers also contracts when a [u]Gamma Motor Neuron[/u] tells it to at the same time by the same signal.

rafaelnadal
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:55 am
Division: C
State: TX
Location: Studying to win this bet i made *facepalm*
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by rafaelnadal » November 29th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Kon wrote:
Alpha-gamma coactivation is when a muscle/extrafusal fibers contract when an [u]Alpha Motor Neuron[/u] tells it to, and the spindles/intrafusal fibers also contracts when a [u]Gamma Motor Neuron[/u] tells it to at the same time by the same signal.
Yes! Your turn! This occurs within the muscle spindle, which are stretch receptors, which are a type of mechanorecetpors, and hence related to our anatomy test even though it doesnt seem like it at all :D !

sciolyFTW_aku
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 11:48 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolyFTW_aku » December 1st, 2016, 5:23 pm

rafaelnadal wrote:Because this is dead, I'll pick it up. God knows I need the practice.

Describe alpha-gamma coactivation and the identify the roles of two neurons involved in it *i hope this is a hard one hehe :twisted: *

I doubt this will ever show up on a test tho..*except for mine :twisted: *
Good question though!

Kon
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: October 15th, 2015, 5:58 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Kon » December 1st, 2016, 8:04 pm

rafaelnadal wrote:
Kon wrote:
Alpha-gamma coactivation is when a muscle/extrafusal fibers contract when an [u]Alpha Motor Neuron[/u] tells it to, and the spindles/intrafusal fibers also contracts when a [u]Gamma Motor Neuron[/u] tells it to at the same time by the same signal.
Yes! Your turn! This occurs within the muscle spindle, which are stretch receptors, which are a type of mechanorecetpors, and hence related to our anatomy test even though it doesnt seem like it at all :D !
Oh thanks for that extra bit of info :D

Name and describe all the different types of color blindness.

User avatar
mangothecat
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 9:16 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by mangothecat » December 23rd, 2016, 7:36 pm

Kon wrote: Name and describe all the different types of color blindness.
Malfunctioning/missing red cone: protanomaly/protanopia. 
Malfunctioning/missing green cone: deuteranomaly/dueternopia. 
Malfunctioning/missing blue cone: tritanomaly/tritanopia. 
Only one functioning cone: cone monochromacy. 
Total colorblindness (no functioning cones): achromatopsia.

User avatar
mangothecat
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 9:16 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by mangothecat » January 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm

*attempts to reincarnate this dead thread*
Name two neurotransmitters that are generally inhibitory and two neurotransmitters that are generally excitatory.
“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” ~Pam Brown
2016: Churchill, Mira Loma, Mesa/Wilson, Wicklund, Regs, States
Anat&Physio: 2/3/1/1/1/
Disease Detectives: 1/1/2/1/1/
Microbe Mission: 1/4/2/2/2/

Locked

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest