Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Unome »

yang573 wrote:
Unome wrote:
For each of the three major types of epi curves, give one characteristic of its histogram, and one characteristic of the outbreak itself that could cause that type of curve.
Common Source: A single, one-time exposure results in a single peak. Food-borne illness from a convention is one example.

Continuous: A constant exposure results in a plateau of cases. The 1854 London Cholera outbreak is one example.

Propagated: A host serves as a source of exposure for other susceptible hosts, resulting in a serious of growing peaks. A flu pandemic in which no one is initially immune would be one example.
Correct, your turn.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
yang573
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by yang573 »

A Minnesota health department enrolled 3,000 (healthy) individuals for 5 years to estimate the incidence rate of Hepatitis C in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. These people were called up annually, and the results are as follow:

After the 1st year, 2 individuals had a new diagnosis for hepatitis C, and 78 were lost to follow up
After the 2nd year, 0 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 90 were lost to follow up.
After the 3rd year, 5 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 155 were lost to follow up.
After the 4th year, 3 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 117 were lost to follow up.
After the 5th year, 6 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 49 were lost to follow up.

Calculate the incidence rate (in 1,000 person-years). Assume those lost to follow-up were disease-free for only half of the year.
So much to do, so little time.
Unome

Post by Unome »

yang573 wrote:
A Minnesota health department enrolled 3,000 (healthy) individuals for 5 years to estimate the incidence rate of Hepatitis C in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. These people were called up annually, and the results are as follow:

After the 1st year, 2 individuals had a new diagnosis for hepatitis C, and 78 were lost to follow up
After the 2nd year, 0 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 90 were lost to follow up.
After the 3rd year, 5 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 155 were lost to follow up.
After the 4th year, 3 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 117 were lost to follow up.
After the 5th year, 6 individuals had been newly diagnosed with hepatitis C, and 49 were lost to follow up.

Calculate the incidence rate (in 1,000 person-years). Assume those lost to follow-up were disease-free for only half of the year.
Assuming I'm just suppose to halve the number lost to follow up and add it on: 0.0521
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
yang573

Post by yang573 »

Unome wrote:
Assuming I'm just suppose to halve the number lost to follow up and add it on: 0.0521
Hm, may I see your work? I got a different answer of 1.17 cases per 1,000 person-years. This is the source I used: https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/s ... tion2.html
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

yang573 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Hm, may I see your work? I got a different answer of 1.17 cases per 1,000 person-years. This is the source I used: https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/s ... tion2.html
I also got that answer. I added it up and ended up doing:
16 new cases in 13710 person-years for an incidence of 1.167 cases per 1000 person-years.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
yang573 wrote:
Unome wrote:
I also got that answer. I added it up and ended up doing:
16 new cases in 13710 person-years for an incidence of 1.167 cases per 1000 person-years.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I had no idea what you meant by "assume those lost to follow-up are disease free for half of the year;" apparently I didn't need that?
Userpage

yang573

Post by yang573 »

Unome wrote:Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I had no idea what you meant by "assume those lost to follow-up are disease free for half of the year;" apparently I didn't need that?
You still have to count them toward the person-years observed. I ended up with 13717.5 person-years. Ignoring them here just doesn't have much of an impact due to the number of participants. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.

Your turn to pose a problem.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The three types of disease transportation are _______borne, ___borne, and ______borne.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
The48thYoshi
State: IL

Post by The48thYoshi »

Tailsfan101 wrote:The three types of disease transportation are _______borne, ___borne, and ______borne.
Airborne, Vehicleborne, Vectorborne
aeshs ‘22
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The48thYoshi wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:The three types of disease transportation are _______borne, ___borne, and ______borne.
Airborne, Vehicleborne, Vectorborne
Correct! Your turn.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”