Microbe Mission B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Locked
User avatar
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 98
Joined: May 7th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Location: Wayzata
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by sciduck » January 22nd, 2017, 6:02 am

Yeah, same (i guessed).
What does the MMR vaccine protect against?
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————

User avatar
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by NeilMehta » January 22nd, 2017, 9:46 am

sciduck wrote:Yeah, same (i guessed).
What does the MMR vaccine protect against?
exactly what it stands for: measles, mumps, and rubella question: why can't viruses be considered living?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Private Wang Fire
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: June 1st, 2015, 3:43 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Private Wang Fire » January 22nd, 2017, 11:09 am

NeilMehta wrote:
sciduck wrote:Yeah, same (i guessed).
What does the MMR vaccine protect against?
exactly what it stands for: measles, mumps, and rubella question: why can't viruses be considered living?
because they require a host cell to reproduce
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS » January 28th, 2017, 12:04 pm

It's been a week, I assume it's okay if I post:

A microscope objective has these inscriptions:
PlanApo
60x/1.3
WD=.21
DIN

The ocular has these inscriptions:
12x/14

1. What is the magnification of a microscope that is using this objective and this ocular?
2. What is the field diameter of said microscope?
3. Does this microscope use oil immersion? How do you know?
4. What does WD=.21 mean?
5. What does PlanApo mean?
6. Optional bonus: What is missing on the objective inscription? What does DIN mean?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

wingsofdawn
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 15th, 2017, 7:58 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by wingsofdawn » February 8th, 2017, 3:50 am

Alex-RCHS wrote:It's been a week, I assume it's okay if I post:

A microscope objective has these inscriptions:
PlanApo
60x/1.3
WD=.21
DIN

The ocular has these inscriptions:
12x/14

1. What is the magnification of a microscope that is using this objective and this ocular?
2. What is the field diameter of said microscope?
3. Does this microscope use oil immersion? How do you know?
4. What does WD=.21 mean?
5. What does PlanApo mean?
6. Optional bonus: What is missing on the objective inscription? What does DIN mean?
Umm... 1: 720x
2: 5mm
3: No, a microscope using oil immersion will most likely have an OIL label
4: Working Distance
5: Assuming they're the manufacturer of the microscope?
6: DIN is Deutsche Industrie Norm, focal length is missing

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS » February 8th, 2017, 4:45 am

Nice!
1. Great!
2. I made a mistake here. I meant to put 12x/[b]15[/b] on the ocular, instead of 12x/14. Anyway, the field diameter, in mm is the Field of view number divided by the objective mag. The FOV # is always next to the ocular magnification, so the field diameter is14/60 mm. Unfortunately, due to my typo, that's a repeating decimal...  :oops:  Sorry.
3. The answer is yes. To achieve a numerical aperture >1 would require oil immersion.
4. Correct!
5. PlanApo refers to the correction for aberrations. Plan = complete flat-field correction, Apo(chromatic) = high quality correction for chromatic aberration. 
6. Both correct! 6 was hard, good job.
Your turn!
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

wingsofdawn
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 15th, 2017, 7:58 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by wingsofdawn » February 11th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:Nice!
1. Great!
2. I made a mistake here. I meant to put 12x/[b]15[/b] on the ocular, instead of 12x/14. Anyway, the field diameter, in mm is the Field of view number divided by the objective mag. The FOV # is always next to the ocular magnification, so the field diameter is14/60 mm. Unfortunately, due to my typo, that's a repeating decimal...  :oops:  Sorry.
3. The answer is yes. To achieve a numerical aperture >1 would require oil immersion.
4. Correct!
5. PlanApo refers to the correction for aberrations. Plan = complete flat-field correction, Apo(chromatic) = high quality correction for chromatic aberration. 
6. Both correct! 6 was hard, good job.
Your turn!
Ok, I kind of suck at microscopy atm, so I need to study that! Anyways...

1: Name a unique characteristic of an amoeba, paramecium, and (my favorite) a eugelna
2: What type of microbes are they classified as?
3: Are they Eukaryotic or Prokaryotic?
4: How do each affect humans?

User avatar
mangothecat
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 9:16 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by mangothecat » February 11th, 2017, 8:32 pm

wingsofdawn wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Nice!
1. Great!
2. I made a mistake here. I meant to put 12x/[b]15[/b] on the ocular, instead of 12x/14. Anyway, the field diameter, in mm is the Field of view number divided by the objective mag. The FOV # is always next to the ocular magnification, so the field diameter is14/60 mm. Unfortunately, due to my typo, that's a repeating decimal...  :oops:  Sorry.
3. The answer is yes. To achieve a numerical aperture >1 would require oil immersion.
4. Correct!
5. PlanApo refers to the correction for aberrations. Plan = complete flat-field correction, Apo(chromatic) = high quality correction for chromatic aberration. 
6. Both correct! 6 was hard, good job.
Your turn!
Ok, I kind of suck at microscopy atm, so I need to study that! Anyways...

1: Name a unique characteristic of an amoeba, paramecium, and (my favorite) a eugelna
2: What type of microbes are they classified as?
3: Are they Eukaryotic or Prokaryotic?
4: How do each affect humans?
1. amoeba: has pseudopodia, paramecium: has a macronucleus and a micronucleus, euglena (they're cute, aren't they?): has chloroplasts and therefore are photosynthetic.
2. protozoans
3. eukaryotic
4. amoeba: certain types causes disease in humans. paramecium: uhh not really sure about this one. I guess they are near the bottom of the food chain and are sources of food for animals that humans eat (ex. fish). euglena: they produce oxygen through photosynthesis, which is essential for humans.
“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” ~Pam Brown
2016: Churchill, Mira Loma, Mesa/Wilson, Wicklund, Regs, States
Anat&Physio: 2/3/1/1/1/
Disease Detectives: 1/1/2/1/1/
Microbe Mission: 1/4/2/2/2/

wingsofdawn
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 15th, 2017, 7:58 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by wingsofdawn » February 14th, 2017, 10:59 am

mangothecat wrote:
wingsofdawn wrote: Ok, I kind of suck at microscopy atm, so I need to study that! Anyways...

1: Name a unique characteristic of an amoeba, paramecium, and (my favorite) a eugelna
2: What type of microbes are they classified as?
3: Are they Eukaryotic or Prokaryotic?
4: How do each affect humans?
1. amoeba: has pseudopodia, paramecium: has a macronucleus and a micronucleus, euglena (they're cute, aren't they?): has chloroplasts and therefore are photosynthetic.
2. protozoans
3. eukaryotic
4. amoeba: certain types causes disease in humans. paramecium: uhh not really sure about this one. I guess they are near the bottom of the food chain and are sources of food for animals that humans eat (ex. fish). euglena: they produce oxygen through photosynthesis, which is essential for humans.
Correct! One thing about paramecium: Paramecium can spread certain diseases as a vector at times, but can also be used to fight off the fungus Cryptococcus neoformans, which is harmful to humans. Your turn :P

User avatar
mangothecat
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 9:16 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by mangothecat » February 14th, 2017, 3:37 pm

1. What disease is caused by the herpes simplex type 3 virus? What is another name for this virus?
2. What disease is caused by the herpes simplex type 4 virus? What is another name for this virus?
“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” ~Pam Brown
2016: Churchill, Mira Loma, Mesa/Wilson, Wicklund, Regs, States
Anat&Physio: 2/3/1/1/1/
Disease Detectives: 1/1/2/1/1/
Microbe Mission: 1/4/2/2/2/

Locked

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest