Materials Science C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by hearthstone224 »

MY question (if I got it right):

Isomorphism is possible because of compatible

A) Ratio
B) Sizes
C) Shape
D) Color
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Tom_MS
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Tom_MS »

hearthstone224 wrote:MY question (if I got it right):

Isomorphism is possible because of compatible

A) Ratio
B) Sizes
C) Shape
D) Color
Definitely B: Size. This is because the crystal structure of a given material is dependent on the radius of its atoms. Isomorphism means that two materials of different chemical composition have the same crystal structure. Ratio wouldn't really make sense because there is no hint at what the ratio would be comparing. The shape is more or less what isomorphism is, and color can be discarded immediately. This question has weird wording because it doesn't say what are the things that are compatible, but nevertheless, a worthwhile question to know the answer to.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Correct! The answer is Size because isomorphism does mean the same shape! Therefore compatible sizes are possible.

Yeah, wording is a bit funky but its only an invitational question. Your turn!
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Tom_MS

Post by Tom_MS »

What is the name of the process by which a clay ceramic hardens under firing? Describe the microstructural changes of the ceramic during this process.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Tom_MS wrote:What is the name of the process by which a clay ceramic hardens under firing? Describe the microstructural changes of the ceramic during this process.
I googled some info but I'm not sure what name you are referring to- most of the sites I found just called the process "firing".

I found that the water molecules inside the clay are being evaporated out and therefore when that happens the structure cannot return back to normal and its sort of "locked in place", and this change is called the ceramic change.

Tom_MS

Post by Tom_MS »

hearthstone224 wrote:
Tom_MS wrote:What is the name of the process by which a clay ceramic hardens under firing? Describe the microstructural changes of the ceramic during this process.
I googled some info but I'm not sure what name you are referring to- most of the sites I found just called the process "firing".

I found that the water molecules inside the clay are being evaporated out and therefore when that happens the structure cannot return back to normal and its sort of "locked in place", and this change is called the ceramic change.
You're right about the water evaporating, but that is more in the drying process than the firing process. This is a difficult question, but I thought that it might be on a test under the manufacturing techniques section of the rules. If you're using the Callister textbook, its in the ceramic applications and processing section. If you're using something else, the name of the process is vitrification.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Ah, ok. Is this what you are looking for?

Vitrification is a process in which the materials that can melt, melt and then they fill in the little pores and gaps which promotes melting and compacting and thereby strengthens the entire body.

Tom_MS

Post by Tom_MS »

hearthstone224 wrote:Ah, ok. Is this what you are looking for?

Vitrification is a process in which the materials that can melt, melt and then they fill in the little pores and gaps which promotes melting and compacting and thereby strengthens the entire body.
Yep! Your turn.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Tom_MS wrote:
hearthstone224 wrote:Ah, ok. Is this what you are looking for?

Yep! Your turn.
Great. What is Vapor pressure, and how does it change as IMFs increase/decrease?

Tom_MS

Post by Tom_MS »

Vapor pressure is the equilibrium atmospheric pressure at which a substance will remain in its liquid state without evaporating further. In this way, it is a measure of something's tendency to evaporate. This means that if there are more IMFs, it will be harder for something to evaporate, and therefore the vapor pressure needed to maintain equilibrium is less. More IMFs means lower vapor pressure.

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”