Remote Sensing C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by hearthstone224 »

Cool, I get next question!?

What is Stefan-Boltzmann's Law and what is it used for?
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Clematis

Post by Clematis »

hearthstone224 wrote:Cool, I get next question!?

What is Stefan-Boltzmann's Law and what is it used for?
Stefan-Boltzmann's Law is the equation E = σT^4 
Where E = energy /m^2 emitted by the blackbody (energy flux)
σ = Stefan Boltzmann's Constant = 5.670367(13)×10^−8 W m^−2 K^−4
T = Temperature of the blackbody in Kelvin

It is used to calculate E, the total energy flux of a blackbody at a specific temperature.
"The most dangerous thing you could've done was give them a glimmer of hope. By letting them see that the impossible was possible, you ignited a fire within them. Now, they know that they can do it, and they won't stop until they have."
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

That's right! You have next quesiton.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Clematis

Post by Clematis »

Multipart question time!
I know that SSO was already touched upon, but...

1. What do SSO, GSO, and GEO stand for?
2. Compare and contrast the three.
3. Give an example of a real-world application for each in which they might be used. (Bonus points if it deals with climate change!)
"The most dangerous thing you could've done was give them a glimmer of hope. By letting them see that the impossible was possible, you ignited a fire within them. Now, they know that they can do it, and they won't stop until they have."
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

1. SSO is a sun-synchronous orbit. GEO is a geostationary orbit. GSO is a Geosynchronous orbit.

2. A Geostationary orbit is one where the satellite is at the same point in the sky each day. A geosynchronous orbit is where a satellite returns to the same point in the sky at the same moment each day. It rotates with the earth's spin. Note that a geostationary orbit is one type of geosynchronous orbit. Finally, a sun-synchronous orbit is one that always faces the sun and goes over the poles. Thus, it will seem like on earth it is going up and down. It is well suited for remote sensing since the sun is always shining bright so climate satellites have an easy time observing.

3. The AMC satellites are in geostationary orbit. Other satellites such as weather satellites and communication satellites are also in geosynchronous orbit. For Sun-synchronous orbit, we have Terra and Aqua. Finally for geosynchronous we have the same satellites that are geostationary (sorry, I'm kinda lazy lol).

Amirite? Thanks.

Clematis

Post by Clematis »

hearthstone224 wrote:1. SSO is a sun-synchronous orbit. GEO is a geostationary orbit. GSO is a Geosynchronous orbit.

2. A Geostationary orbit is one where the satellite is at the same point in the sky each day. A geosynchronous orbit is where a satellite returns to the same point in the sky at the same moment each day. It rotates with the earth's spin. Note that a geostationary orbit is one type of geosynchronous orbit. Finally, a sun-synchronous orbit is one that always faces the sun and goes over the poles. Thus, it will seem like on earth it is going up and down. It is well suited for remote sensing since the sun is always shining bright so climate satellites have an easy time observing.

3. The AMC satellites are in geostationary orbit. Other satellites such as weather satellites and communication satellites are also in geosynchronous orbit. For Sun-synchronous orbit, we have Terra and Aqua. Finally for geosynchronous we have the same satellites that are geostationary (sorry, I'm kinda lazy lol).

Amirite? Thanks.

I think you meant to say geostationary for weather and communication satellites, but either way, you're right. Your turn.
Clematis

Post by Clematis »

Let's get this started again!

How does the atmosphere affect remote sensing? (I know this is very vague and there are a variety of ways it can be answered. You can provide one way or multiple. Feel free to be however specific - or general - that you want.)
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Sorry for not starting it up again. I forgot because I was preparing for an invitational.

OK, here's what I found. I found that the scattering of visible and infared light is the kind that has the highest effect on the appearance of an image. For example, images often appear hazy because of solar radiation that reaches the sensor without reaching the ground first. This is particularly severe in the blue end of the spectrum due to Rayleigh Scattering.

Absorption also occurs which makes sense I guess because then the radiation is totally absorbed and so you don't get an accurate reading.

Clematis

Post by Clematis »

hearthstone224 wrote:Sorry for not starting it up again. I forgot because I was preparing for an invitational.

OK, here's what I found. I found that the scattering of visible and infared light is the kind that has the highest effect on the appearance of an image. For example, images often appear hazy because of solar radiation that reaches the sensor without reaching the ground first. This is particularly severe in the blue end of the spectrum due to Rayleigh Scattering.

Absorption also occurs which makes sense I guess because then the radiation is totally absorbed and so you don't get an accurate reading.
It's fine. We all get too busy at times, especially with looming competitions. ;) Correct, your turn.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Awesome!

Describe the difference between along track and across track scanning, and give the more informal names of these types of scanning for an extra point.

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”