Astronomy C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
jonboyage
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Astronomy C

Postby jonboyage » February 2nd, 2017, 10:04 am

Yeah you were right sorry, I checked online right after I posted just to make sure and I found that the dimmer ones drop faster.
Do you want to ask the next one?
Sure. Here's a tie-in math question.
A type Ia supernova is discovered in a distant galaxy. Its maximum apparent magnitude is measured at 18.4. After monitoring the supernova for 15 days, the B band magnitude drops by 1.2. 1. What is the theoretical absolute luminosity of a type Ia supernova originating from a single progenitor? 2. Calculate the distance to the supernova based on this theoretical absolute magnitude. 3. Determine the speed at which the galaxy containing the supernova is receding. Use a Hubble constant of 70 km^-1*Mpc^-1 4. Based on the luminosity decline, determine the actual absolute magnitude of the supernova. 5. Recalculate the distance and recessional velocity based on the actual absolute magnitude.
Answer
1. -19.3 2. 346.7mpc 3. 24271.6km/s 4. -18.4884 5. 238.6mpc; 16702.4km/s
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23

Bob_117
Division: C
State: TN

Postby Bob_117 » February 15th, 2017, 3:37 am

Yeah you were right sorry, I checked online right after I posted just to make sure and I found that the dimmer ones drop faster.
Do you want to ask the next one?
A type Ia supernova is discovered in a distant galaxy. Its maximum apparent magnitude is measured at 18.4. After monitoring the supernova for 15 days, the B band magnitude drops by 1.2. 1. What is the theoretical absolute luminosity of a type Ia supernova originating from a single progenitor? 2. Calculate the distance to the supernova based on this theoretical absolute magnitude. 3. Determine the speed at which the galaxy containing the supernova is receding. Use a Hubble constant of 70 km^-1*Mpc^-1 4. Based on the luminosity decline, determine the actual absolute magnitude of the supernova. 5. Recalculate the distance and recessional velocity based on the actual absolute magnitude.
Answer
Sorry for jumping in but I have a question. How did you calculate the absolute magnitude in question 4? I've looked up luminosity decline rate and a couple other things and I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks in advance.
There is nothing like the last minute rush to get your cheatsheets organized the night before the big day :D

"I don't believe in luck, I believe in skill or the lack thereof." - Me

jonboyage
State: PA

Postby jonboyage » February 15th, 2017, 4:50 am

Answer
Sorry for jumping in but I have a question. How did you calculate the absolute magnitude in question 4? I've looked up luminosity decline rate and a couple other things and I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks in advance.
I simply used the formula for the Philips relationship which you can easily find the Wikipedia page for. The formula is this: M_max(B) = -21.726 + 2.698Δm_15(B). This formula is very specific to the scenario given here: after 15 days, the B-band magnitude drops by 1.2. Hope that helps!
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 15th, 2017, 5:16 am

Answer
I simply used the formula for the Philips relationship which you can easily find the Wikipedia page for. The formula is this: M_max(B) = -21.726 + 2.698Δm_15(B). This formula is very specific to the scenario given here: after 15 days, the B-band magnitude drops by 1.2. Hope that helps!
Sorry, forgot about this during prep for regionals. Correct, your turn.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » February 17th, 2017, 2:47 pm

I'll pick this up then.

Some standard math:

Star A has a temperature of 6400 K.
1. Calculate its peak wavelength in nm.
2. The real wavelength is measured to be 480 nm. What is the recessional velocity of the star in m/s?
3. Is this number reasonable?
4. Star A is part of system AB, which has an apparent magnitude of 6.4 and an absolute magnitude of 1.99. Star B has a luminosity of 5.0 solar luminosities. What is the radius of star A in solar radii?
5. How far away is system AB in parsecs, light years, AU, and meters?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

slowpoke
State: TX

Postby slowpoke » February 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm

I'll pick this up then.

Some standard math:

2. The real wavelength is measured to be 480 nm. What is the recessional velocity of the star in m/s?
4. Star A is part of system AB, which has an apparent magnitude of 6.4 and an absolute magnitude of 1.99. Star B has a luminosity of 5.0 solar luminosities. What is the radius of star A in solar radii?
:(
1. 452.8 nm 2. 1.7 e7 m/s 3. I suppose not 4. 2.4 solar radii 5. 76.2 pc
2017 R/S/N
Astronomy - 1/1/2
Chem Lab - 4/2/5
Hovercraft - 2/1/7
Materials Science - x/2/1

William P. Clements HS '17

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » February 20th, 2017, 5:49 am

I'll pick this up then.

Some standard math:

Yep, all good

Unome

Postby Unome » February 20th, 2017, 7:27 am

I'll pick this up then.

Some standard math:

Yep, all good
Question: how does #4 work? Since it's before #5 in the order, it seems like it should be easier than it looks.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » February 20th, 2017, 9:57 am

Yep, all good
Question: how does #4 work? Since it's before #5 in the order, it seems like it should be easier than it looks.
I'm guessing your problem was relating the luminosities of systems and stars. The luminosity of a system is the sum of the luminosities of each of the stars in the system.

First you must know the luminosity of star A to calculate its radius, since you already have its temperature. Convert the system's absolute magnitude to luminosity- 13 solar luminosities. Then subtract B's luminosity of 5.0 solar luminosities to get 8.0 solar luminosities. From there it's just Stephan-Boltzman Law- solve for R to get 2.3 solar radii, which is reasonably close to slowpoke's answer of 2.4.

Unome

Postby Unome » February 20th, 2017, 10:03 am

Yep, all good
I'm guessing your problem was relating the luminosities of systems and stars. The luminosity of a system is the sum of the luminosities of each of the stars in the system.

First you must know the luminosity of star A to calculate its radius, since you already have its temperature. Convert the system's absolute magnitude to luminosity- 13 solar luminosities. Then subtract B's luminosity of 5.0 solar luminosities to get 8.0 solar luminosities. From there it's just Stephan-Boltzman Law- solve for R to get 2.3 solar radii, which is reasonably close to slowpoke's answer of 2.4.
That's what I was thinking; it just seemed too complex in comparison to #5.
Userpage

slowpoke

Postby slowpoke » February 21st, 2017, 7:24 pm

Alright. Sorry for more math whoops.

Above is the light curve of an eclipsing binary system of Star A and Star B that is perfectly edge on. Star A, the primary and larger star, has a temperature of 3000 Kelvin and 2 times the radius of Star B. The absolute magnitude of the system is 1.24.

a. What is the temperature of Star B in Kelvin?
b. What is the luminosity of Star A in solar luminosities?
c. What is the luminosity of Star B in solar luminosities?
d. What are the radii of Stars A and B respectively in km?
2017 R/S/N
Astronomy - 1/1/2
Chem Lab - 4/2/5
Hovercraft - 2/1/7

Ashernoel
State: IL

Postby Ashernoel » February 21st, 2017, 8:17 pm

Above is the light curve of an eclipsing binary system of Star A and Star B that is perfectly edge on. Star A, the primary and larger star, has a temperature of 3000 Kelvin and 2 times the radius of Star B. The absolute magnitude of the system is 1.24.

Period (T): 70 hours.
M(system): 1.24
m(system): 2.3
d:16.29 pc from distance modulus
m(A): 3.5
M(A): 2.440 from distance modulus

A main sequence star should have around 6300K with this absolute magnitude.....?
NT '19
Harvard '23

slowpoke

Postby slowpoke » February 21st, 2017, 10:02 pm

Period (T): 70 hours.
M(system): 1.24
m(system): 2.3
d:16.29 pc from distance modulus
m(A): 3.5
M(A): 2.440 from distance modulus

A main sequence star should have around 6300K with this absolute magnitude.....?
Ah, I was mostly pulling these numbers out from my head rather than thinking of whether or not it was realistic :( . But, that wasn't really how I intended people to solve the problem. There should be a way to solve for these values without assuming anything (unless there is something horribly wrong with my reasoning...).
2017 R/S/N
Astronomy - 1/1/2
Chem Lab - 4/2/5
Hovercraft - 2/1/7

Unome

Postby Unome » February 22nd, 2017, 5:23 am

Assuming both stars eclipse fully (since as far as I know that can't really be derived from the problem without being stated)
a. 36,000 K b. 6.72 L[sub]sun[/sub] c. 20.15 L[sub]sun[/sub] d. I have lost myself among the various luminosity/flux conversions
Userpage

Ashernoel
State: IL

Postby Ashernoel » February 22nd, 2017, 7:11 am

Assuming both stars eclipse fully (since as far as I know that can't really be derived from the problem without being stated)
a. 36,000 K b. 6.72 L[sub]sun[/sub] c. 20.15 L[sub]sun[/sub] d. I have lost myself among the various luminosity/flux conversions
nice work :D
NT '19
Harvard '23

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”