Forensics C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 98
Joined: May 7th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Location: Wayzata
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by sciduck » January 19th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Lumitailz wrote:When do fingerprints first form? and
Where do they originate?
10th week of pregnancy on the basal layer?
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————

Lumitailz
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: March 15th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by Lumitailz » January 23rd, 2017, 3:35 pm

sciduck wrote:
Lumitailz wrote:When do fingerprints first form? and
Where do they originate?
10th week of pregnancy on the basal layer?
dermal papillae, pretty much same thing lol

User avatar
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 98
Joined: May 7th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Location: Wayzata
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by sciduck » January 23rd, 2017, 5:38 pm

The "plaster of Paris" contains what chemical?
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————

User avatar
me-myself_i
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 10:19 am
Division: C
State: IN
Location: Close to Purdue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by me-myself_i » January 24th, 2017, 8:02 am

sciduck wrote:The "plaster of Paris" contains what chemical?
Gypsum
2015(B)1st:Road Scholar(regional)
2016(B)1st:RoadScholar2nd:Crave the Wave3rd:Fossils,Reach for the Stars(regional)
2017(C)2nd:Write It Do It(regional)

Being happy about no Bloomington this year :D

User avatar
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 98
Joined: May 7th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Location: Wayzata
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by sciduck » January 30th, 2017, 5:31 pm

me-myself_i wrote:
sciduck wrote:The "plaster of Paris" contains what chemical?
Gypsum
calcium sulfate, but you're not wrong.
Your turn.
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————

User avatar
yellow_squirtle
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: August 18th, 2014, 6:02 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by yellow_squirtle » February 19th, 2017, 11:59 am

Let's revive this forum, shall we !!!

An unknown sample turns green when dissolved in water with Benedict's reagent and heated. What does this mean? Also, why does sucrose not provide a positive test result when it contains two sugars, one of them being glucose? (What is the other sugar that makes up sucrose?)

There are three parts to this questiono

ibaemax_o-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: December 23rd, 2016, 7:55 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by ibaemax_o-o » February 19th, 2017, 12:24 pm

yellow_squirtle wrote:Let's revive this forum, shall we !!!

An unknown sample turns green when dissolved in water with Benedict's reagent and heated. What does this mean? Also, why does sucrose not provide a positive test result when it contains two sugars, one of them being glucose? (What is the other sugar that makes up sucrose?)

There are three parts to this questiono
that if the unknown sample turns green it indicates that it contains trace amounts of a reducing sugar. Sucrose does not provide a positive test result because it isn't a reducing sugar. Even though sucrose is made up of two reducing sugars glucose and fructose, sucrose is a disaccharide formed by the bonding of glucose and fructose through dehydration synthesis which results in a glycosidic bond that cannot be opened into open chain form with an aldehyde group (a characteristic of a reducing sugar).

User avatar
yellow_squirtle
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: August 18th, 2014, 6:02 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by yellow_squirtle » February 19th, 2017, 1:01 pm

ibaemax_o-o wrote:
yellow_squirtle wrote:Let's revive this forum, shall we !!!

An unknown sample turns green when dissolved in water with Benedict's reagent and heated. What does this mean? Also, why does sucrose not provide a positive test result when it contains two sugars, one of them being glucose? (What is the other sugar that makes up sucrose?)

There are three parts to this questiono
that if the unknown sample turns green it indicates that it contains trace amounts of a reducing sugar. Sucrose does not provide a positive test result because it isn't a reducing sugar. Even though sucrose is made up of two reducing sugars glucose and fructose, sucrose is a disaccharide formed by the bonding of glucose and fructose through dehydration synthesis which results in a glycosidic bond that cannot be opened into open chain form with an aldehyde group (a characteristic of a reducing sugar).
Correct! Cute nickname, btw :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Locked

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests