Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strongest Invitationals?

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

SOPomo wrote:
Unome wrote: Div B:
1. Wright State (has been top pretty consistently in B)
2. Mira Loma (this and the next two because NorCal B teams are really strong right now)
3. Mountain House, Mesa-Wilson, Churchill, Mentor, Westlake, Kenston, probably one or two IL tournaments (but again, I don't know much about that area)
4. Probably Rustin (would have been tier 3 if not for snow), Boyceville, Cornell, a few IL and MI tourneys that I don't know about, Dodgen, Chattahoochee (though hopefully we'll be higher next year :D )
5. no idea
Yeah that Mira Loma one stepped up a notch getting Daniel Wright out as well. Any event with Kennedy and Churchill and Kraemer and/or Jeffrey Trail is going to be rough (why they're your #3), throw in the #1 team from last year and some more bay area teams and woof, tough tourney.
I agree, but that only applies if you're in Southern California but by far the MIT or Cornell invitationals are the hardest. I have placed above Kraemar and Jeffrey Trail in all my events, but they are good, if not great.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
SOPomo wrote:
Unome wrote: Div B:
2. Mira Loma (this and the next two because NorCal B teams are really strong right now)
3. Mountain House, Mesa-Wilson, Churchill, Mentor, Westlake, Kenston, probably one or two IL tournaments (but again, I don't know much about that area)
4. Probably Rustin (would have been tier 3 if not for snow), Boyceville, Cornell, a few IL and MI tourneys that I don't know about, Dodgen, Chattahoochee (though hopefully we'll be higher next year :D )
5. no idea
Yeah that Mira Loma one stepped up a notch getting Daniel Wright out as well. Any event with Kennedy and Churchill and Kraemer and/or Jeffrey Trail is going to be rough (why they're your #3), throw in the #1 team from last year and some more bay area teams and woof, tough tourney.
I agree, but that only applies if you're in Southern California but by far the MIT or Cornell invitationals are the hardest. I have placed above Kraemar and Jeffrey Trail in all my events, but they are good, if not great.
I really wouldn't rank Cornell anywhere near MIT in terms of competitiveness; just take a look at the teams competing.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Unome wrote:
SOPomo wrote:
I really wouldn't rank Cornell anywhere near MIT in terms of competitiveness; just take a look at the teams competing.
Thanks for pointing it out. MIT really is the hardest.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Unome wrote:
SOPomo wrote:
Yeah UPenn is probably more competitive than Cornell this year just from the teams attending and it's only its first year.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

UPenn is also literally in Philadelphia with relatively easy access from PA, NJ and NY

Cornell, meanwhile, is in the middle of nowhere upstate New York
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
jakool6
State: OH

Post by jakool6 »

Unome wrote:I'm just going to list them in tiers, since sometimes it's really hard to distinguish.

Div C:
1. MIT (by a lot)
2. Wright State (they wouldn't have been here last year, MIT stole their thunder), Golden Gate
3. Mira Loma, Westlake, Mentor, Troy, Cornell
4. UPenn, Solon, Princeton, Rice (though the TX teams were very split), Valley Forge
5. idk maybe Boyceville, depends how the area's teams are doing. Possibly Kenston and WL-S too. A few IL and MI tournaments could be put here, but I don't know enough about those areas.

If you hadn't already heard, Twin Tiers is basically dead.

Div B:
5. no idea

Edit: Agree with mostly everything East says above
I dunno if Mentor will be AS competitive as Westlake.
Unome

Post by Unome »

jakool6 wrote:
Unome wrote:I'm just going to list them in tiers, since sometimes it's really hard to distinguish.

Div C:
1. MIT (by a lot)
2. Wright State (they wouldn't have been here last year, MIT stole their thunder), Golden Gate
3. Mira Loma, Westlake, Mentor, Troy, Cornell
4. UPenn, Solon, Princeton, Rice (though the TX teams were very split), Valley Forge
5. idk maybe Boyceville, depends how the area's teams are doing. Possibly Kenston and WL-S too. A few IL and MI tournaments could be put here, but I don't know enough about those areas.

If you hadn't already heard, Twin Tiers is basically dead.

Div B:
5. no idea

Edit: Agree with mostly everything East says above
I dunno if Mentor will be AS competitive as Westlake.
I put it even based on Rustin and F-M, but I guess we'll see whether those two are strong enough this year to make it even.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jakool6
State: OH

Post by jakool6 »

Unome wrote: I put it even based on Rustin and F-M, but I guess we'll see whether those two are strong enough this year to make it even.
I'm worried the most about Chardon.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Timing of the tournament also has an impact on the composition of teams.
Unome

Post by Unome »

jakool6 wrote:
Unome wrote: I put it even based on Rustin and F-M, but I guess we'll see whether those two are strong enough this year to make it even.
I'm worried the most about Chardon.
As usual, I forgot about Chardon. They tend not to get noticed as much outside of Ohio, but they're probably near the same level as Rustin (maybe higher, depending on how good Rustin is this year).
Userpage

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”