John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Strongest Invitationals?

Post by John Richardsim »

Unome wrote: ...the very top MI invites (West Ottawa?)
Nah fam, Eastside and Frankenmuth are top, then Allendale, then WO, then Clio and Haslett, then Portage.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

John Richardsim wrote:
Nah fam, Eastside and Frankenmuth are top, then Allendale, then WO, then Clio and Haslett, then Portage.
Thanks, I know next to nothing about MI invites. How strong are these compared to other states?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John Richardsim

Post by John Richardsim »

Unome wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Thanks, I know next to nothing about MI invites. How strong are these compared to other states?
I wouldn't know. (But I don't think they stack up too tough against Ohio invites.)
MIScioly1
Been thanked: 0

Post by MIScioly1 »

John Richardsim wrote:
Unome wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: Nah fam, Eastside and Frankenmuth are top, then Allendale, then WO, then Clio and Haslett, then Portage.
I wouldn't know. (But I don't think they stack up too tough against Ohio invites.)
Almost all of the teams at MI invites are from Michigan, so they aren't quite as tough as some of the Ohio invites like Solon. Frankenmuth draws most of the top teams in the state, but very few if any out of state teams. There are a lot of good Michigan teams, though, so the competition is solid. Hopefully we're able to get an invitational going at UMich eventually that could maybe draw some out of state teams.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
Unome

Post by Unome »

MIScioly1 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Unome wrote: Thanks, I know next to nothing about MI invites. How strong are these compared to other states?
Almost all of the teams at MI invites are from Michigan, so they aren't quite as tough as some of the Ohio invites like Solon. Frankenmuth draws most of the top teams in the state, but very few if any out of state teams. There are a lot of good Michigan teams, though, so the competition is solid. Hopefully we're able to get an invitational going at UMich eventually that could maybe draw some out of state teams.
Yeah, I'm not sure how good the top MI teams really are. Also - in terms of competitiveness, Solon invitational can't really match Westlake (which is larger, and draws the top 4 Ohio teams plus Northville).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I wouldn't know. (But I don't think they stack up too tough against Ohio invites.)
Yeah, I'm not sure how good the top MI teams really are. Also - in terms of competitiveness, Solon invitational can't really match Westlake (which is larger, and draws the top 4 Ohio teams plus Northville).
I'm not sure that is entirely fair. Both Solon and Westlake had 60 teams at their invite last year. The 2017 Solon invite included Solon, Mentor, and Mason (the top 3 Ohio teams for 2017) plus Northville. Westlake has frequently included Centerville, however Centerville's teams at that point in the year are hardly representative of their competitive state team; they placed 8th, 11th, and 12th last year. I would argue Solon 2017 and Westlake 2017 were roughly equivalent.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Unome

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Unome wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote: Almost all of the teams at MI invites are from Michigan, so they aren't quite as tough as some of the Ohio invites like Solon. Frankenmuth draws most of the top teams in the state, but very few if any out of state teams. There are a lot of good Michigan teams, though, so the competition is solid. Hopefully we're able to get an invitational going at UMich eventually that could maybe draw some out of state teams.
I'm not sure that is entirely fair. Both Solon and Westlake had 60 teams at their invite last year. The 2017 Solon invite included Solon, Mentor, and Mason (the top 3 Ohio teams for 2017) plus Northville. Westlake has frequently included Centerville, however Centerville's teams at that point in the year are hardly representative of their competitive state team; they placed 8th, 11th, and 12th last year. I would argue Solon 2017 and Westlake 2017 were roughly equivalent.
Ah I confused Solon B with Solon C (thought there were 45 teams). Your point about the teams not being as ready at Westlake is legitimate, however Solon also doesn't rank themselves at theirs, so it depends on how you look at it. If Solon did rank themselves I could see considering them of equal competitiveness.
Userpage

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Unome wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure how good the top MI teams really are. Also - in terms of competitiveness, Solon invitational can't really match Westlake (which is larger, and draws the top 4 Ohio teams plus Northville).
Ah I confused Solon B with Solon C (thought there were 45 teams). Your point about the teams not being as ready at Westlake is legitimate, however Solon also doesn't rank themselves at theirs, so it depends on how you look at it. If Solon did rank themselves I could see considering them of equal competitiveness.
Solon B you are correct has 45 teams. Solon C dropped to 45 for a couple years after a coaching change but went back to 60 teams and will stay there this coming year. I have run scoring for Solon C the past three years, and you are correct we do not traditionally release our own scores. There has been some internal debate about whether to continue the practice. One of the biggest benefits of not releasing scores is we don't have to compete as true teams- we can have more than 15 people per team or have people compete on one team for one event, and the second team for another.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”