North Carolina 2017

Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: North Carolina 2017

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:If you discount Duct Tape Challenge, Piedmont did really well at state this year, almost as well as in 2015 (62 points to 57 then). I may have to modify my predictions a bit (after checking the Wright State results more closely).
I agree. Piedmont placed top 3 in 19 out of 23 events at states this year, which is incredible.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Unome wrote:If you discount Duct Tape Challenge, Piedmont did really well at state this year, almost as well as in 2015 (62 points to 57 then). I may have to modify my predictions a bit (after checking the Wright State results more closely).
I agree. Piedmont placed top 3 in 19 out of 23 events at states this year, which is incredible.
Actually let me take that back a little. Piedmont gained 25 points in 2015 from Duct Tape Challenge. They should do well, but I think my most recent prediction has them in the right spot (or maybe one rank higher depending on how Tower Heights does).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Piedmont's never been too great at DTC. A couple years back, they placed top 1 in all events except for 2: one second place in Meteorology I think and a 21 in DTC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, some interesting notes:
The Tower event's buckets were tilted for some odd reason, which messed up a whole bunch of teams and skewed rankings from predictable in a sense. There was an appeal to take that event off due to this discrepancy, but it was overruled.
Interestingly enough, Enloe and SSM both had EV problems - for slightly different reasons - that also affected the rankings to a significant degree.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

daydreamer0023 wrote:Piedmont's never been too great at DTC. A couple years back, they placed top 1 in all events except for 2: one second place in Meteorology I think and a 21 in DTC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, some interesting notes:
The Tower event's buckets were tilted for some odd reason, which messed up a whole bunch of teams and skewed rankings from predictable in a sense. There was an appeal to take that event off due to this discrepancy, but it was overruled.
Interestingly enough, Enloe and SSM both had EV problems - for slightly different reasons - that also affected the rankings to a significant degree.
That's interesting about towers. I didn't hear anything about that from our towers people.

I don't think EV affected the team rankings at all. NCSSM got hit much harder by their EV mishap than Enloe did (49th vs 34th). It's possible (probable, honestly) that Enloe would have done better than NCSSM in EV if each team's cars had ran without problems, but Enloe would need to outscore NCSSM by 25 on EV to take 1st as a team.

Anyways, congrats to you guys at Enloe. A 6 year nats streak is impressive.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I believe this is now the longest North Carolina state thread on the forums since at least the BB3 switch.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:I believe this is now the longest North Carolina state thread on the forums since at least the BB3 switch.
Woohoo!

If only NC SciOly was competitive at nats.
Edit: with the exception of piedmont of course
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
yash99
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by yash99 »

I have a feeling that this year Enloe and NCSSM will definitely break top 20 at nats, with a chance of breaking top 10 with a little bit of luck;)
musicalwhang
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by musicalwhang »

I came to look a bit at the forums today and noticed a NC forum!! yay!!!
This might be a little late but I did notice something wrong with the chain in the towers event
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1BYt2 ... pZaVU/view
At first, I thought this was a problem with how I loaded the sand but, now that I've seen other comments, I think not.
I'm from Smith MS and I placed 4th in this event with around a 1450 efficiency.
Thank you for taking time to make this forum Alex! I saw your name flash across the NCSU board in some of your events with RCHS. Next year, I was suppose to go to East Chapel Hill but now I have to go to Chapel Hill. :(

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”